Summer/14 Reading/Research forum?

Hey y'all!

Anyone interested in keeping correspondence over the summer? Maybe share articles/bounce ideas around/debate the meaning of life the universe and everything?

I’m all for having a summer “off” (unemployed starting May 31) to kayak, bike, sleep-in. But something I do for fun is just recklessly ponder intellectual stuff – anyone else in the same boat (kayak)?

I will probably PM you. As well as anyone else who is interested. At this point I think my blog will mostly be about research and mentorship opportunities for high school and undergrad students, and also less well thought out versions of my academic obsessions.

While I'm not in the grad school in the fall boat (yay reapplying), I've decided that I'm going to blog my way through the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism as a start while I work through the process of reapplying.

I decided this yesterday, so I've got nothing started really.

If possible, I'd Love to connect through blogs and research.

While I'm not in the grad school in the fall boat (yay reapplying), I've decided that I'm going to blog my way through the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism as a start while I work through the process of reapplying.

I decided this yesterday, so I've got nothing started really.

If possible, I'd Love to connect through blogs and research.

Awesome! Yeah. I'm down for PMing our blogs and sorta keeping each other on "track" (albeit a leisurely track).

I'm thinking about starting a blog to also give an insight into what it's like for an international student. But I don't know which platform to use.

I'm on Wordpress. WriterTyger is on Blog.com 

It'd probably be best if we tried to keep it all on a few platforms instead of several platforms - but I'm not picky. Imma put y'all's blogs into a folder of bookmarks. 

I'm going conference-crazy this summer. Crashing one at Maryland at the end of May, then CW, then a pair in DC in June. Registration fees are for people who need nametags, academic conferences are easy to crash.

I'm curious. How does crashing conferences work?

Also, this is not exactly summer work, but is anyone in rhet/comp working on their C's proposal for next year?

Also, this is not exactly summer work, but is anyone in rhet/comp working on their C's proposal for next year?

Me! I have a working draft of my proposal done, but finding panelists has actually been the hardest part. Everyone is already paneled up! (P.S. Anyone wanting to present on a panel on disability studies and accommodation rhetoric with two GradCafers, hit me up!). 

I'm curious. How does crashing conferences work?

Just show up and attend panels/workshops.Don't go to meals, but pretty much anything that isn't ticketed winds up being open access. If you don't make an ass of yourself no one will notice.

(I've been told. I in no way endorse crashing conferences. It is wrong and should never happen.)

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds fun. I'm thinking about doing something like that (probably without the blogging, though) next summer before I (hopefully) start grad school.

This summer I'm obsessing over the application process and doing research for my thesis I'm going to write next semester. I'm so excited to be working on it finally. Ever since I met with my advisor near the end of the semester I had been waiting for the semester to end so I have some free time.

Edited by Abdiel

This summer I'm obsessing over the application process and doing research for my thesis I'm going to write next semester. I'm so excited to be working on it finally. Ever since I met with my advisor near the end of the semester I had been waiting for the semester to end so I have some free time.

I was also going to use most of my summer to do research and start writing my thesis before I'm officially enrolled in thesis hours next semester. Right now I'm quite burnt out though, so I could use a couple weeks off before plunging through more work. Although, I'm telling myself that the researching part is the fun part (which it is for me), so it shouldn't feel like the kind of work I've been doing this semester.

And to return to the topic - I started a blog last year but never posted in it until my recent post on how to ask for letters of rec since one of my friends had no idea how to go about doing that. I plan to post more helpful (at least I hope they will be) entries for those who apply to grad school. And since I'm working on the thesis over the summer, I'll probably post some interesting findings too.