HESA Applicants Fall 2015

JBums1028

It might be a little early to start this... since I've officially deferred I kind of want to see who else on here will be applying to start in Fall 2015. Figured I'd start a thread where we can discuss what which programs we're interested in, give program search advice, etc.

I don't think its too early. I've been putting my list together now to get things ready to apply late summer early fall. I have no desire to start applications in the fall semester. I'm currently a junior with around a 3.65 gpa for when I will graduate next year. Double major in Speech Communication/History. I have lots of student affairs experience with internships with the Counseling Center, First Year Experience, Student Conduct in the Fall and have worked in Admissions and Residence Life. Currently here are the programs I'm looking at for HESA

University of Vermont

University of Connecticut

Colorado State University

Bowling Green

Ball State University

Rochester University

Indiana State University 

Vanderbilt 

University at Buffalo 

Michigan State University 

What ideas/thoughts do you have about any of these programs and what ones are you interested in?

I've heard many good things about all of those programs!

The only two I know of for sure at this point are MSU and GVSU since I'm deferred at both of those. I might reapply to UConn this year and I'm looking pretty seriously at South Carolina and Miami-OH per recommendation of an adviser. I've also looked into Utah, University of Rochester, Michigan, and Western Michigan. But I definitely don't have a final list yet.

I'm open to suggestions! My preferences are cohort model programs that offer assistantships in academic advising, service learning, admissions, or career services. 

You mentioned you applied to UConn what was that experience like? One thing that I am struggling to find is how many people apply there each year, although I know it is considerable. My preferences are definitely cohort models as well although I am interested in assisstantships for student conduct and residence life.

Also, having talked to a few professionals in the field it seems that GPA doesn't mean as much as experience in college. Those I have talked to have said while they want students to meet the cut off and higher is obviously better they are much more interested in work experience in higher education. That might just be those few people's opinions and not indicative of the overall hiring process though.

I really enjoyed UConn. I was invited to interview, but unfortunately wasn't picked for a GA. I think the stats were something like 300+ applicants, narrowed to about 70-80 for preview weekend, narrowed to 20 admitted to the cohort. I really liked the structure of the program and the faculty. The area that the school is in though is a little weird. Very rural. It's a nice area, it's just weird for me coming from a school that had a traditional college town to see such a large school basically in the middle of nowhere. But otherwise I liked it. The main thing I'm running into is as I'm starting to look at other programs, a lot of them have the same interview weekend at UConn. So I'm not sure if reapplying will be worth it.

I'd agree with what your mentors are saying, however GPA and academic credentials will still be important for popular programs like MSU and UConn. And that's just because they can afford to be picky due to their large applicant pools. But yes, experience is important especially for interviews! That's ultimately why I decided that postponing my grad school plans for another year wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks for the information at UConn I really appreciate it. I have family near there and they said the University is about half an hour from anyone. I'm actually ok with that since I do come from a rural area and rural school. I'm also running into the same problem where many schools have the same interview weekend.

Do you think it's wrong to apply to places that have the same weekend for interviews? Some of them are super competitive and I suppose I can always decline an offer to interview, but what do you think?

I could have graduated this year, but from what my mentors said having three years in student affairs in different fields (student conduct, admissions, counseling, residence life, and sga) will provide a huge boost.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but keep in mind you might have to pick between two schools if you get in to both. So for example with my situation, South Carolina has the same interview weekend as UConn. If I get into both I'd have to decide which one to attend at that time (they both require that you travel for their interviews). You might get lucky and some will allow you to interview via Skype or phone. But I'd just bear that in mind.

I will be applying for Fall 15! Really hoping to have a GA in Orientation/New Students Programs. I have 3 years of experience working in different capacities for my university's new student programs office and it's been the most rewarding experience. Also have experience in housing (RA for 2 years) Greek life (officer positions in my chapter and IFC) and student conduct. I'd be happy in any of the fields but Orientation is my calling :)

So far I have these schools

Florida State

University of Florida

UConn

Ohio State

Indiana University

University of Georgia

Bowling Green

Those are a lot of really great programs maybe we will see each other for interview weekends since we applied to some of the same schools.

Those are a lot of really great programs maybe we will see each other for interview weekends since we applied to some of the same schools.

That actually happened to me at a few interview weekends... It gets a lot more exciting once we all start hearing back from programs!

I think I might have somewhat of a solid prospective program list to work with.

Michigan State

Grand Valley State University

Michigan

Western Michigan

UConn

South Carolina

Florida

But for all I know, this will probably change between now and October...

• 4 weeks later...

So how is everyone feeling toward this application season? I just became a senior and I am very excited for the process. What are you all looking forward to/ dreading? What areas of Higher Education/Student Affairs is everyone looking at?

So how is everyone feeling toward this application season? I just became a senior and I am very excited for the process. What are you all looking forward to/ dreading? What areas of Higher Education/Student Affairs is everyone looking at?

Well, as a second timer I'm worried about gathering letter writers again. I feel like some of them might be getting tired of writing for me. I'm also worried about getting time off for interview weekends since my new job is less flexible than my old one. Hopefully I'll at least be able to travel to my out of state ones and skype/phone interview with the in state ones. I'm not super worried about the essays since I've written them before. I can probably just rework what I used this past cycle. I'm also of course worried about not getting a GA offer... again.

I'm primarily interested in academic advising. I want to end up there eventually. I'm currently working in admissions, and that's an area that I would consider working in after I complete my master's. I'm also interested in service learning/civic engagement, career services, orientation, etc.

Edited by JBums1028

It must be frustrating that your job is impacting when you can go interview. Hopefully, they understand and let you use the travel you need. It sounds like the GA offer is a major factor for students I know for me I will have no clue what to do if I wasn't offered one.

It sounds like you have great work experience and more time under your belt will definitely help. I know for me I'm most interested in working in Residence Life or Student Conduct.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I'll be applying to UVM and UCONN this year. I've attented the interview weekend at the University of Vermont twice already (only school I've applied to so far). I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you prior to the interviews.

Hi patars nice to know that you will also be applying as well this year. How have the interview weekends at UVM been for you? I'm applying to UVM and UCONN as well so it'll be great getting to know you before the interview.

Right now I'm looking at many of the schools you are looking at, but I'm particularly interested in Vanderbilt's enrollment management track! I currently work in admissions as a tour guide, special event tour coordinator, and as a senior interviewer. I have also been an RA for 2 years, and this year I will be a Head Resident (supervising RAs). My GPA is a 3.53 and I'm studying for the GREs now. Hoping all goes well!

When is everyone taking the GRE? I'm scheduled for August 16th and I'm working hard so I only have to take it once. That $195 registration fee really hurt my pocket and I don't know if my heart can stand paying it again for a retake!

Hi patars nice to know that you will also be applying as well this year. How have the interview weekends at UVM been for you? I'm applying to UVM and UCONN as well so it'll be great getting to know you before the interview.

In my experience at UVM, the GRE was completely irrelevant to them and they didn't really care about your GPA either, unless it was terrible. They focused on experience in student development and on social justice. The process was extremely competitive and the interview weekend exhausting. In general people in the UVM community were really nice to me and I enjoyed my experience. I found that it was easy to reach out to current students to ask for help or additional information. They interview at least 12 students for every position, so it's very difficult to stand out. The interviews focused on giving examples when you were faced with specific problems... If you haven't been faced with these problems, you are basically screwed.

I've been twice myself already and I've met other people who had to try 2 or 3 times to finally get an assistantship. 

Anyone interested in UVM or UCONN  living in upstate NY or Vt?

Edited by patars

• 1 month later...

I'm excited to see this thread! I'm super nervous going into this admissions cycle but I'm crossing my fingers I get in somewhere! I'm 95% sure that these are the schools I'm applying to but they are subject to change as I would have to relocate from the Seattle area with my boyfriend and his three small daughters. I spent one year in Admissions as a work-study at a community college before transferring to a 4 year school where I worked for the Director of Student Administration (again work study) , I also got a summer job at an admissions office this summer and my senior year (finally!) I will be working in the service-learning department.

Seattle University

Lewis & Clark College

Oregon State University

Colorado State University***** top pick!!!

University of Northern Colorado

University of Utah

University of Nebraska

UCONN

So in my experience from last year, I actually ended up picking only schools that didn't require the GRE, even after taking it. It's not a bad idea to take it as a just in case, but I also wouldn't stress about it too much.

Hey JBUMS,

what schools did you apply too that didn't require the GRE?

I applied to UConn, MSU, Eastern Michigan, and Grand Valley. None of them required it. It's also looking like my list this year probably won't look at it either.