[MS Geology] Where to go? Between LSU, U of Tulsa, U of Alberta

GeoApplicant

I've been admitted by LSU and Tulsa. Both are MS program in Geology, without fundings.

Both are strong in PE, but how about in Geology? I especially care about the opportunities to find jobs (as an international students). Do graduates stand chance to get employed in oil industry? Or whatever jobs in geology?

LSU: my advisor is major in Tectonics. It seems have more to do with fundamental research.

Tulsa: my advisor is major in igneous rock. I am not very familiar with it since my undergraduate courses are very general in earth sciences.

P.S. I also applied for "Integrated Petroleum Geosciences" in U of Alberta. Decisions are still unavailable. If I am admitted, is it worth to go? It's a one year course-based program. I can't recon lots of information about it. I found that U Calgary has a two year course-based program in reservoir characterization, thus I doubt if Alberta's one-year program is strong. Anyway, is there anyone know something about IPG in Alberta?

Edited by falamche

I hate to say this, but especially in STEM, it might be worth not going anywhere.  It will be very difficult for you to finish unless paying for these programs are no financial burden. Graduate school is not like undergraduate, it is much more difficult to finish especially if they are thesis based (and if you are doing non thesis based masters, it isn't worth anything period). 

I hate to say this, but especially in STEM, it might be worth not going anywhere.  It will be very difficult for you to finish unless paying for these programs are no financial burden. Graduate school is not like undergraduate, it is much more difficult to finish especially if they are thesis based (and if you are doing non thesis based masters, it isn't worth anything period). 

If don't take financial issues into consideration, then what's the situation?

So are you interested in the petroleum industry specifically or geology?

Specifically for the petroleum industry, the main qualification to get in the door for internships is being enrolled in at least a masters/graduate program (how picky they are in the official designation differs by company and mostly is case by case as far as I've heard). I should say internships are what matters, so if you're trying for petroleum you need to have internship experience. Therefore, if you're qualified to apply for the internships you want (check this beforehand) with a given program, then you're on the right track. However, I'd be dubious of geology programs that don't offer funding. Being offered some sort of funding is generally a given with geology programs - especially at well known schools, so if there isn't any, that should merit some inquiry as to its absence.

So are you interested in the petroleum industry specifically or geology?

Specifically for the petroleum industry, the main qualification to get in the door for internships is being enrolled in at least a masters/graduate program (how picky they are in the official designation differs by company and mostly is case by case as far as I've heard). I should say internships are what matters, so if you're trying for petroleum you need to have internship experience. Therefore, if you're qualified to apply for the internships you want (check this beforehand) with a given program, then you're on the right track. However, I'd be dubious of geology programs that don't offer funding. Being offered some sort of funding is generally a given with geology programs - especially at well known schools, so if there isn't any, that should merit some inquiry as to its absence.I

Thank you for your advise !

Interested in geology, though petro geology is more preferred.

As far as you know, taking my advisors, the locations of these two school, and whatever important factors into consideration, which one could provide a better chance to get internships between these schools? 

Aside from jobs in petroleum field, would graduate students in these areas stand a decent chance to find jobs (if they are academic qualified and initiative enough) in GENERAL geology ?

Plus, do you know IPG in UA? I didn't find coops provided in the intro of it in UA' websites. Do you know a little bit about it?

Edited by falamche

I don't know very much about any of those schools unfortunately, so I don't know that I could judge which schools would be best for internships. Geographically, they are all pretty well placed for oil and those schools will probably have recruiters you can talk to to get good information, but that's about all I can say.

For course of study, internships are open to all disciplines (I.e. You don't have to be studying anything oil related to get an internship). That being said, studying tectonics seems far more transferable than igneous petrology to me. But I'd go with whatever seems more interesting because they take people from all different sub-fields.

As far as jobs outside of petroleum, there are many jobs for each of the fields you listed. Government jobs (state and national), consulting firms, insurance companies, teaching, etc.

Edited by Geologizer

I don't know very much about any of those schools unfortunately, so I don't know that I could judge which schools would be best for internships. Geographically, they are all pretty well placed for oil and those schools will probably have recruiters you can talk to to get good information, but that's about all I can say.

For course of study, internships are open to all disciplines (I.e. You don't have to be studying anything oil related to get an internship). That being said, studying tectonics seems far more transferable than igneous petrology to me. But I'd go with whatever seems more interesting because they take people from all different sub-fields.

As far as jobs outside of petroleum, there are many jobs for each of the fields you listed. Government jobs (state and national), consulting firms, insurance companies, teaching, etc.

Thank you!

Btw, would changing advisor be feasible and, even, convenient in US university? ( I probably go to TU and try to move to Sedimentation). I guess you may get more ideas on it.