Fully Funded MA Programs?

Ahmed

Hi everyone,

Contemplating doing a PhD in Anthropology but don't have the necessary background or money to pay through a grad program. Would be grateful for any information on fully funded MA programs. Thanks!

Edited by Ahmed

Could you clarify what you mean about not having the necessary background? Do you mean your grades are low, you don't have any publications, or your financial background? This will make a big difference in your options.

Edited by jenste

Need a little bit more info...are you wanting to do a Masters in anthropology? There are fully-funded programs, but you're going to have to narrow down the programs you are attracted to and get in touch with advisers and directors to get more information on their funding.

I heard the same ole' same ole' speeches from the programs I applied to about funding when I sent my general interest emails to them. However, it wasn't until AFTER I was accepted that I received funding packages and compared the offers before making my final decision.

Furthermore, you will more than likely end up paying some money out-of-pocket for your program. I can only speak of my offers, which included great funding packages. They covered tuition, however, only a little toward other educational fees and student insurance, etc, and even included a montly/yearly stipend. So, after I reviewed it all, I'm still spending a bit for my masters degree...but no where near as much as I would without any sort of fudning assistance from the university and department.

Sorry, I'll be more specific: I did my bachelors and masters in design. While doing my masters in interaction design at CMU, I was really involved in a lot of human-centered design research, and a lot of the methods we used to go and study people and their behaviours so that we could design for them were taken from anthropology. Honestly, I was always more interested in the fieldwork and theory than in the making that followed it, and I started reading more in cyborg anthropology and the philosophy of technology. My GPA was pretty good, and I am a Fulbright Scholar, but I feel like, since I don't have a formal background in anthropology or any of the other social sciences, I might have a more difficult time getting into good PhD programs. I have a few publications but they all fall within the boundaries of design research. I'm quite poor, so I can't really go anywhere that doesn't offer great funding. Thanks!

I suggest you find some programs you're intersted in and contacting some POI's that have similar research interests as you do, and asking them their opinion on the matter. I mean, you have plenty of time until you need to start applying for next year, so do some thorough research, talk to people, and see what they believe you should do in your situation.

Some people on this forum would say you have an pretty narrow focus of what you want to get your PhD so as long as you have a good "fit" in the programs you're applying for and made excellent contacts who would support your admission, you'd be fine.

And then people like me, who would suggest a bit of a background in anthropology as far as taking some courses, truly help in the matter of getting admitted. There are some programs who accept people on "condition" that they complete some anthropology courses to get them up to speed, but that was never a risk I was willing to make when I spent the money on the GRE and turning in all my applications.

However, I wish you the best of luck. You have a great research interest and would love to see updates on the progress of your journey!

Edited by AKCarlton