Small Colleges vs. Big Colleges

CHERRY!

I'm looking for a Higher Education/Student Affairs program and I have a list of mostly "big named" schools. I know that it'll be extremely competitive getting into these programs, so should I be looking at smaller institutions also? Are there any great programs that are mostly practitioner based? I'll take as many suggestions as yall can give me! Thanks in advance!  

I would advise against applying to schools solely based on the fact that they're easier to get into. The safety school mentality just doesn't work as well around here. Doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to smaller programs, but ya know, make sure the fit is fairly good. There have been quite a few threads on here specifically about people getting into their lower ranked schools/"safeties"/bottom choice, and they strongly consider waiting another year and not going. And it's like... Why apply there if you never intend to go there at all if you get accepted there?

I never considered the size of the program for when I sent in applications. I did think a little bit about ranking, but I was far more concerned with if I could actually see myself succeeding at the university and being able to put in the committment necessary to complete the degree. I did temper my aspirations a little bit with my academic record, but that was secondary.