Fall 2014: Next Steps

I'm stealing this idea from the thread Proflorax posted last spring.  It seems good for everybody moving on to a program this year to have a place to discuss what's next up on the plate.  We're all dealing with learning about new programs and cities, figuring out where we're moving, etc, so it seemed like a good idea to have a place to compare notes and frustrations and anxiety attacks.

As for me, I've been spending precious grading time on Craigslist, looking at houses that are most certainly not going to be on the books when I'm actually ready to move, and figuring out exactly how to apartment-hunt from several hundred miles away.  Haven't yet heard anything from my new program, so that aspect of things still seems to be on hold.  But I'm so excited to begin. :)

I received a very lengthy email from my program a few days ago regarding setting up our email, contacting possible advisors, filling out some paperwork and registering for classes. So far, I've managed to set up my email and secure an advisor so yay for that! :D

I've also been scouring Craigslist and other apartment sites. I've contacted several people, but we're in a tricky position since we can't move until the end of June/beginning of July and most places I've talked to aren't particularly willing to reserve a place from now until then. But we're planning to hopefully go visit this weekend, and it looks like we'll be able to see at least a couple possible places while we're there.

I suppose I should also mention that I'm getting married twice in the next couple months (long story lol). So I've got all the wedding planning craziness hanging over my head as well.

Apart from the things mentioned by you guys, I am trying to learn more about applying for my F1 Visa, paying the SEVIS fee etc. My I20 should be ready in a week's time. I hate this uncertainty. Although I have all the documents ready and I am pretty sure I will clear the VISA interview, there is still this fear in some corner of my mind that keeps peeping out every now and then. Can't wait to get done with all the formalities.

Apart from the things mentioned by you guys, I am trying to learn more about applying for my F1 Visa, paying the SEVIS fee etc. My I20 should be ready in a week's time. I hate this uncertainty. Although I have all the documents ready and I am pretty sure I will clear the VISA interview, there is still this fear in some corner of my mind that keeps peeping out every now and then. Can't wait to get done with all the formalities.

I, too, am anxious about my visa. I've been waiting for my residency visa (partner is a US citizen) since June last year. We're just waiting for an interview to be scheduled now and then we should be free to go to the USA, but I'm worried that there will be an unexpected delay or we will be denied the visa for some unforeseen reason. Worst case scenario, I could go on a student visa but that brings its own problems and I would have to apply for that before the June 1 deadline. So many uncertainties! I can't wait until all the visa stuff is over so I can concentrate on what I CAN control: my studies.

My fiancée and I are actually moving this weekend because our current lease is up and we found a place we like. After that we are staying with a friend for the last 2 weeks of class. Other than that it is trying to find work (it looks like I'll be freelancing) and getting set up. We also have to start looking at wedding venues...!

Indeed. I would not recommend it. But we knew we were going to end up going out of state if I got into a school and all of our family members and most of our friends are in this state, so we figured we should have the wedding here. I suppose we could've planned it for a later date and commuted back and forth, but that seems like an extra hassle to me.

Thankfully, the school I ended up at is actually in the state we were planning to get married in in the first place, so there's not too much extra work for us (plus we are getting married in 2015). Kudos to you, though, toasterazzi! I think I'd explode if I was getting married and moving at the same time.

My first priority is finding someplace to live. Since this is pretty late in the season for college housing, I might have to live in "real people" housing the first year, but that might be a nice treat to myself. :P

Another question... is anyone going to be looking for a roommate?  How do you intend to go about it?

The trend with the current students at my program, as far as I can tell, is to live alone, or with significant others.  But I am kind of a fan of the not-having-to-pay-all-the-rent thing that comes along with having a roommate, and also of the company.  I'm going to be in a city where I don't know a soul, and I'm not exactly the greatest at meeting people--I'm afraid if I live alone it will turn into the cat lady saga.  But I'm not really sure how to advertise.  Craigslist scares me a little; I'm a woman and not exactly intimidating, and I'm a little picky.  I like my quiet.

Most schools have an off campus housing listing site where people post that they're looking for roommates, etc. That's how I found my roommate last year- I ended up living with a psych student. Also, Craigslist isn't terrible. I found a decent enough guy on there once (I'm a woman and very tiny). Basically, make sure to talk to whomever it is on the phone first, maybe meet up ahead of time if you can. You should be ok.

Edited by shortstack51

Another question... is anyone going to be looking for a roommate?  How do you intend to go about it?

The trend with the current students at my program, as far as I can tell, is to live alone, or with significant others.  But I am kind of a fan of the not-having-to-pay-all-the-rent thing that comes along with having a roommate, and also of the company.  I'm going to be in a city where I don't know a soul, and I'm not exactly the greatest at meeting people--I'm afraid if I live alone it will turn into the cat lady saga.  But I'm not really sure how to advertise.  Craigslist scares me a little; I'm a woman and not exactly intimidating, and I'm a little picky.  I like my quiet.

I'm not currently looking for a roommate. However, the one time when I needed a roommate and I didn't have any friends that I could live with, I did find someone on Craigslist. She had rented a two bedroom place and had somebody back out on her. We basically just set a time to meet at her apartment, and I took my fiance (who was my boyfriend back then) with me. We didn't become BFFs or anything, but she was a pretty decent person to live with. I think after reading a handful of Craigslist posts, it gets a bit easier to sift out some of the potential terrible people.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my teaching assignment today! :D  I knew exactly what I would be teaching, so it wasn't some great mystery, but it's still really fun to have a day and time  Makes it feel more official.

Also was curious, has anyone else not heard much from their program?  I got an Email telling me about teaching orientation a few days ago, and got my teaching assignment today, but I haven't heard anything else, about the financial stuff, or registration, or anything.  Should I Email?  I don't want to be pesky, but I just have this feeling I'm missing something.

This is all part of my hurry-up-and-wait thing I've got going on.  I'm looking for houses, but can't rent.  I'm looking at classes, but can't sign up.  I know what I'm teaching, but can't even begin to prepare.  My feet are getting itchy.

I just got my teaching assignment today! :D  I knew exactly what I would be teaching, so it wasn't some great mystery, but it's still really fun to have a day and time  Makes it feel more official.

Also was curious, has anyone else not heard much from their program?  I got an Email telling me about teaching orientation a few days ago, and got my teaching assignment today, but I haven't heard anything else, about the financial stuff, or registration, or anything.  Should I Email?  I don't want to be pesky, but I just have this feeling I'm missing something.

This is all part of my hurry-up-and-wait thing I've got going on.  I'm looking for houses, but can't rent.  I'm looking at classes, but can't sign up.  I know what I'm teaching, but can't even begin to prepare.  My feet are getting itchy.

My program sent one very detailed email a couple weeks ago with a lot of stuff in it that we needed to do, such as registering for classes. I know that some of the other emails I've gotten previously have said we'd be getting contacted about certain things over the summer.

Finally scheduled my Visa interview. Its on 30th May. Just 22 more days of uncertainty!!!

Congrats!

I am so jealous, I am still waiting for my official words from the program and the I-20 form.

I hope 2 months would be enough!

Congrats!

I am so jealous, I am still waiting for my official words from the program and the I-20 form.

I hope 2 months would be enough!

Yes, I think 2 months should be enough. After the International office got in touch with me, it took them just 1 week to send me the I20.