GRE test format & Quant prep

samstrong123

Hi All,

I'm planning to give GRE in next 3wks scared to death. Can anyone help me following concerns-

1. I'm using Barron's GRE book. In it as per format it says after 2 essays one can have 3 blocks - either V or Q in any order & 4th one will be experimental. 

So in all one will have 4 V/Q blocks after essays? Is it so? Does any one has different experience ?

2. In diagnostic test I diid poor in Quant. In Barron in Quant- I can do first 4 chapters- General Math Strategies, Discrete Quant, Quant Comparision, Data Interpretatn, but 5th chapter "Maths Review- Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry " is very very big ~200 pages. Do I need to do all of this 5th chapter? Are there any smaller material to review for Quant?

How to improve Quant score in short time?

Let me know

Thanks.

Sam

prk_01234@yahoo.com 

1. Sounds about like how I remember the test.

2. What's your field? For some programs your quantitiative score may mean absolutely nothing. My quant score mattered so what I did was googled for some GRE math questions and did those, I didn't use any book to prepare. I imagine even SAT practice questions will help, the actual math isn't terribly difficult. It's all basically algebra I learned way back in high school, but the tricky part was figuring out what they wanted you to do with the information presented.

No, that is wrong.

The test will always have 2 blocks of quant and 2 blocks of verbal. There is also an additional section, this will either be a non-graded block or a research block, and can either be quant or verbal. The non-graded block will not be indicated that it is not graded, so it will be like doing a third section of either quant or verbal. The research one will be indicated as such. After the writing section, the sections can occur in any order (ie, the last will not always be the experimental, ect.)

So in other words, you will do the AW section, then 5 sections of quant and verbal.

I didn't recall any block saying it was the research block, but I admit I was going brain dead near the end of the test.

Huhm what's the difference between the non-graded and the research block? As far as I know the non-graded one is non-graded precisely because it is for experiment/research purposes, meaning they're the same thing basically. And I don't think ETS will label anything as such, since if a test taker knew the block is non-graded and/or research, what would prevent him/her from skipping the entire section or answering randomly? Then what kind of data would they get? The experiment/research only works when the test taker knows nothing and treats it like any other sections, like in a blind study. So the standard test will be 2V-2Q, possible one more of either one, 5 maximum total I think. I had 3V during the official test and 3Q in the few sample tests at home, and 3V is definitely more manageable IMO.

I had 3V during the official test and 3Q in the few sample tests at home, and 3V is definitely more manageable IMO.

I kind of preferred the quantitative, personally. But, that's what I spent my time preparing for.

No, that is wrong.

The test will always have 2 blocks of quant and 2 blocks of verbal. There is also an additional section, this will either be a non-graded block or a research block, and can either be quant or verbal. The non-graded block will not be indicated that it is not graded, so it will be like doing a third section of either quant or verbal. The research one will be indicated as such. After the writing section, the sections can occur in any order (ie, the last will not always be the experimental, ect.)

So in other words, you will do the AW section, then 5 sections of quant and verbal.

Just to clarify; which ever comes first, quant or verbal, is going to be the one with three sections...er blocks. 

Huhm what's the difference between the non-graded and the research block? As far as I know the non-graded one is non-graded precisely because it is for experiment/research purposes, meaning they're the same thing basically. And I don't think ETS will label anything as such, since if a test taker knew the block is non-graded and/or research, what would prevent him/her from skipping the entire section or answering randomly? Then what kind of data would they get? The experiment/research only works when the test taker knows nothing and treats it like any other sections, like in a blind study. So the standard test will be 2V-2Q, possible one more of either one, 5 maximum total I think. I had 3V during the official test and 3Q in the few sample tests at home, and 3V is definitely more manageable IMO.

I have taken the GRE four times since the roll-out of the new format in 2011.   I have always had five sections; the first three being three sections of quant.  Everyone I know who has taking the GRE since 2011 have all had five sections and none with the fabled labeled "experimental section".  

According to the ETS website some test takers "may" have the 5th section.  Seeing as how this newer version of the GRE is still relatively new it would make sense that the majority, if not all, of the test takers so far have received an experimental section.  

I kind of preferred the quantitative, personally. But, that's what I spent my time preparing for.

Well for sure it's a matter of personal preference. Whenever I had 3Q in one test I felt like my brain was on fire and couldn't function towards the end of the 3rd Q section. It's a long test, and when I was that tired at the end, I'd much rather read some long passages than try to read a graph and compute some percentages.

Just to clarify; which ever comes first, quant or verbal, is going to be the one with three sections...er blocks. 

I have taken the GRE four times since the roll-out of the new format in 2011.   I have always had five sections; the first three being three sections of quant.  Everyone I know who has taking the GRE since 2011 have all had five sections and none with the fabled labeled "experimental section".  

According to the ETS website some test takers "may" have the 5th section.  Seeing as how this newer version of the GRE is still relatively new it would make sense that the majority, if not all, of the test takers so far have received an experimental section.  

I think we agreed on the non-label part there. About whether or not a 5-section is the unofficial standard, I'm not quite sure. I personally don't know many people who have taken the test in real life, but I remember last year during the peak on the GRE season, a lot of people on this forum were taking the test and not all or even most of them had an experimental section.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. From the official site:

Computer-based GRE® revised General Test

The overall testing time for the computer-based GRE® revised General Test is about three hours and 45 minutes. There are six sections, one of which is an unidentified/unscored section. The Analytical Writing section will always be first. The Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and unidentified/unscored sections may appear in any order; therefore, you should treat each section as if it counts toward your score. An identified research section that is not scored may be included in place of the unscored section. The research section will always appear at the end of the test.

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/test_day/expect/

You will always get five sections of quant and verbal no matter what. The extra one may either be ungraded, or an identified research section. However, I have no idea how common the latter is. 

Whether you get an extra non-graded quant or verbal is just luck of the draw. 

I would think anyone who gets the identified research section has a small advantage, because at that point you can basically relax and not care about getting things right or not.

Thanks Vene, HopefulComparativisit, VioletAyame, CrucialBBQ for your input.

Vene,

I'm applying for Food Scienes programs, so my field is ~ mirobiology, cell biology. Most of my schools have more V score cut off than Q score. still I need to get even min Q cutt off score to go through grad school office filter.

I'll do as you said google gre maths q & hopt it'll help.

Sam

prk_01234@yahoo.com

Hi All,

I'm planning to give GRE in next 3wks scared to death. Can anyone help me following concerns-

1. I'm using Barron's GRE book. In it as per format it says after 2 essays one can have 3 blocks - either V or Q in any order & 4th one will be experimental. 

So in all one will have 4 V/Q blocks after essays? Is it so? Does any one has different experience ?

This is how my GRE was structured, but I took it in June 2011, before the change to the Revised GRE. So I think your book is just old. Everything everyone else said here is correct for the new Revised GRE (in comparison with the experiences of people I know in real life).

Fun fact: When I took the June 2011 old GRE, I had an unidentified experimental section AND an identified research question. I had 2 Verbal sections so one of them was the unidentified experimental section. My identified research question was an essay question that appeared at the very end. They said it was not graded and optional. However, if I chose to complete it, I would be entered in a draw to win $250. So I did it :P (didn't win though, too bad).