Post-Decision Regret?

lynne_k8989

I think that such feelings are common. Pre-admit it's something you have to work to achieve, but once you have the offer it's easy to start to take such for granted and wonder if you could do better. No matter what when you make a decision other options are gone forever, I'm sure you made the choice you did for good reason.

I think a little bit of buyer's remorse is normal. If you look around the board you can see everyone's emotions all go haywire after the big decision. By choosing one program you did give up the potentials of all other programs, but I find it very helpful to focus on the details of that one particular chosen program: make housing arrangements, explore the city, talk to your POIs and current students, etc. For me that did the trick of replacing the endless possibilities I had pre-decision with this more vivid, concrete picture of my future post-decision, substituting quantity with quality in a way and keeping my excitement up. On the other hand, thinking about reapplying in case things don't work out is like thinking about divorce before getting married: it is helpful in a way by reminding you that you always have a way out, but it may not be the healthiest way to begin your commitment.

it was so close and now i'm thinking i made the wrong choice.

If it was so close, then even if you did make the "wrong" choice, the end result can't really be that much different, can it?

Of course I wonder if I made the right decision. Of course I have a ton of anxiety about it. But in the end, I turned down rank and prestige for happiness and less debt and that's what I'm sticking to.