"b" average applicants

My stats are similar to yours. I got in the first year of applying. Pick the schools that don't just look at numbers. The schools I received my acceptance at looked at the overall picture such as GPA, volunteer and multicultural experiences, personality, and strong SOP and letters of rec. Make sure to put your face out there and if you have a particular school you really want to attend, go visit the program and faculty!

how do you find schools that don't just look at numbers?!

• 2 years later...

Anyone that fits this category, applying currently for fall 2017? My cumulative will be a 3.4, CSD 3.66 (with two retakes), last 60 credits are a 3.82. Over 100 volunteer hours, haven't taken the GRE yet, tons of relevant work experience in teaching in the local school districts, teaching my own classroom in a low SES area, working at a daycare, and I am also bilingual. I'm only applying to 5 schools in the midwest (not *AS* competitive, I hear) because I can't move out (financial reasons). 

I'm still anticipating the rejection letters, though. By the time I graduate in May, my cumulative will probably have reached a 3.5, and CSD a 3.69 (SO CLOSE) or 3.7. But it's still not 'competitive'. Not really looking forward to the GRE - I took it once in the summer and preformed very low. I know I'm supposed to be positive, but sometimes I just like to be realistic about these sort of things. I know all the faculty at my undergrad institution who are on admissions but not sure what the result will be. Definitely will be bummed out about being rejected but I anticipate that it'll happen - it won't hurt as much if I have a poor outlook, right? 

Anyone else in the same boat as I? I need someone to relate to, in a sea of competitive applicants!

:(

Edited by genyslp

Me! My GPA is currently a 3.26 and going up, and my major GPA (Linguistics) is around a 3.6. I had issues with anxiety and depression freshman year, so that really hurt my GPA. Plus, I had a different major for two years. I just took the GRE yesterday and was able to surpass a 300, so I just have to wait for the writing score. I am looking at working with kids specifically with autism, and do have quite a bit of experience with kids of all ages, with and without disabilities. Hopefully that, some great LORs and a Spanish minor will help my application. 

I too am worried about rejections. Currently I am coping with that fear by creating a good backup plan. 

I'm also in the same boat. Great CSD GPA (4.0)...but possibly dropping as I will probably get a B in Audiology,  but my cumulative is sitting at a high 3.4/exactly 3.5....and my CSDCAS cumulative (since they factor in retakes differently) will definitely be a 3.4, as I retook a class. My GRE is quite average (302 combined, 5.0 writing), though I do have a solid resume of clinical experience. 

My first two years of college I was a B/C student; didn't pull it together and apply myself until I transferred schools. My last 60 is a lot stronger (probably around 3.8, I would guess). 

Meanwhile, it doesn't help that I'm sitting in a very competitive state (CA) and am hoping to stay on the West Coast. It has been very discouraging to hear that most of the schools I am applying to take 15 applicants that aren't there own students, and have up to 400 applications per year. I've been slowly pushing my search outside of CA...though my heart wants to stay here because of family and weather. 

@li'lsebastian If you don't mind me asking, what's your backup plan? I'm currently thinking if I don't get accepted, I'll work abroad for a year and strengthen my 2nd language skills. Though, I think it breaks me to face that reality because I don't want to see everyone I've been taking classes with, move on without me onto first year while I face rejection. It really hurts to know you might be the one 'held' back while you see everyone else progressing. (I am deep down, happy for everyone though - I just wish I could be with them).

@jmk Audiology was such a nightmare for me, don't beat yourself up over that. That was such a difficult class for me as well! Did you retake any CSD courses? I did. I retook 2 and hope that doesn't bring me down even more then my mediocre GPA. We're in the same situation with the last 60 being a strong 3.8! My first two years, I had a mix of A's, B's, and C's (and one D+ from the last semester where I truly just lost all motivation). Ah! I think you might want to consider moving outwards. I know you want to stay in CA, but it's an EXTREMELY competitive state (and you know this!). Remember your end goal, and sometimes if you can move, I would encourage you to do it. Also, I don't think your cumulative GPA is bad AT ALL. Your CSD GPA is stellar! How many schools are you applying to?

3 hours ago, genyslp said:

@li'lsebastian If you don't mind me asking, what's your backup plan? I'm currently thinking if I don't get accepted, I'll work abroad for a year and strengthen my 2nd language skills. Though, I think it breaks me to face that reality because I don't want to see everyone I've been taking classes with, move on without me onto first year while I face rejection. It really hurts to know you might be the one 'held' back while you see everyone else progressing. (I am deep down, happy for everyone though - I just wish I could be with them).

@jmk Audiology was such a nightmare for me, don't beat yourself up over that. That was such a difficult class for me as well! Did you retake any CSD courses? I did. I retook 2 and hope that doesn't bring me down even more then my mediocre GPA. We're in the same situation with the last 60 being a strong 3.8! My first two years, I had a mix of A's, B's, and C's (and one D+ from the last semester where I truly just lost all motivation). Ah! I think you might want to consider moving outwards. I know you want to stay in CA, but it's an EXTREMELY competitive state (and you know this!). Remember your end goal, and sometimes if you can move, I would encourage you to do it. Also, I don't think your cumulative GPA is bad AT ALL. Your CSD GPA is stellar! How many schools are you applying to?

Sure! At this point, I would like to work as either a parapro or something related to kids with autism and various disabilities, since I am interested in that and I feel that it would help my application. I also plan on taking some classes and/or retaking the GRE to improve my scores and GPA. I also have to figure out roommates and things like that, since I currently live at home but will be moving out whether I get into grad school this coming year or not. Thankfully I have a friend who I might be able to room with, depending on if our jobs line up location-wise. In general, I would focus on improving my application so that I could reapply for the following year.

@li'lsebastian That's a great idea! I hope it all works out for you, honestly. I've been looking at the survey results for grad cafe SLP admissions and actually, I've noticed quite a few applicants who have a lower GPA around our range. I even saw someone with a 3.00 cumulative GPA get an acceptance. It boosted my hopes! Sending some positive vibes your way.

@jmk you never know.... My biggest advice to you is to really ask yourself if hypothetically, you were accepted, would you be able to move? I can't imagine getting accepted to a school that you can't even really move out to or make it work in the long run. Though, my situation and yours are different. If you're able to, then I would keep those schools on your list.

I've just tried to be super realistic. I originally started off with around 8 schools but cut off 3 because they were out of state and I knew if I got accepted, it just wasn't going to work out moving out. I knew my limits and even with my stats 5 schools is such a narrow list, but I have accepted I might not get accepted this cycle and that's okay, as long as I applied to the schools I could and tried again next year! I was really adamant a couple of months ago on getting in this cycle, but I realize there's a slim chance I'll be accepted, and being realistic about it has kept my expectations low.

Best of luck to us in the end. I'm actually really happy I have other people to be rooting for and kind of go through this 'journey' of applications with. :) 

@genyslp I'm not sure if it's any comfort, but I applied to two schools with a 3.4 and was waitlisted at one (but accepted at their bilingual program, which may have worked in my favor). I probably would've gotten in if I had touched based with the program, but I was accepted to teach English abroad in the south of France and I thought that I simply couldn't pass up that opportunity!

I'm trying again with a 3.5 - look for schools that match your interests and touch base with them to show interest. 

11 hours ago, combustiblecake said:

@genyslp I'm not sure if it's any comfort, but I applied to two schools with a 3.4 and was waitlisted at one (but accepted at their bilingual program, which may have worked in my favor). I probably would've gotten in if I had touched based with the program, but I was accepted to teach English abroad in the south of France and I thought that I simply couldn't pass up that opportunity!

I'm trying again with a 3.5 - look for schools that match your interests and touch base with them to show interest. 

I wonder what would have happened if you applied to more than 2 schools? That would have increased your chances. Did you only apply to 2 for regional purposes (staying in town) or? I'm curious!

I'm applying to 5, so hopefully it all works out. If not, I'm not that stressed - of course, it'll be saddening, but I can always improve my application for the next year. I am very close with the professors on the admissions committee at my university. I do a lot in our student organization and they know this, it's really just my stats that are harming me honestly. I am really trying to get out there and contact the schools to make sure my name is known! I wish the best of luck to you this cycle. <3 

I am also applying with similar stats. My overall GPA is 3.4 and my CSD is 3.6. I just retook the GRE today and was able to score slightly higher than last time in both sections, but I'm waiting on my writing score. Since this is my second round after applying to 3 programs last year, I will be applying to about 8 schools, with 3 in California. Most programs I'm applying for look at the last 60 units, which for me is a 3.7. I do have some anxiety about my applications, but I've gotten some good feedback about my revised personal statement, so that's what's keeping me sane. 

@panda1991- good luck! I think I remember seeing you around the forums last cycle (it also might've been another panda username haha, I tended to keep "tabs" on the CA applicants with stats more up my alley). Just curious- what influenced your decision to apply so heavily out of state...and by out of state are you sticking to West Coast, or everywhere? I'm also from SF, and am slowly warming up to the idea of adding more out of state programs. 

1 hour ago, jmk said:

@panda1991- good luck! I think I remember seeing you around the forums last cycle (it also might've been another panda username haha, I tended to keep "tabs" on the CA applicants with stats more up my alley). Just curious- what influenced your decision to apply so heavily out of state...and by out of state are you sticking to West Coast, or everywhere? I'm also from SF, and am slowly warming up to the idea of adding more out of state programs. 

Thank you! I've seen your posts around as well. Well, I found out from someone who's a grad student now, that some of the programs in California get so many applicants (pretty sure this is true for SDSU) that they just rank them by GPA and GRE and auto decline based on an arbitrary cut-off point. Since my GPA and GRE score are a little more "average", I decided that I'm only going to apply to places that are close by that have specialties I'm interested in (mainly autism), and if I don't get into those, then I'd rather move somewhere out of state with a lower cost of living. Just my personal preference. I'm applying to a couple programs that have WICHE agreements (University of Northern Colorado and possibly Idaho State), and then a few in the midwest. I'm interested in the lower cost of living, and my husband has family in the midwest. 

Also on a side note, I noticed you go to SF state. I graduated from there, and their program is my top choice. They reserve half their spots for SFSU students/alumni. :) 

Edited by panda1991

@genyslp One was my alma matter and the other was in a state nearby (both Midwest-one was bilingual and other wasn't). It's very possible had I applied to more schools, I might've been accepted somewhere, but I had applied to few schools on purpose since my ESL gig was an option and a very possible one. I chose to teach abroad, and it has enriched my SOP quite a lot. 

12 hours ago, combustiblecake said:

@genyslp One was my alma matter and the other was in a state nearby (both Midwest-one was bilingual and other wasn't). It's very possible had I applied to more schools, I might've been accepted somewhere, but I had applied to few schools on purpose since my ESL gig was an option and a very possible one. I chose to teach abroad, and it has enriched my SOP quite a lot. 

You really can't put a price on an experience like teaching abroad, honestly. I think that was a very great opportunity & choice on your behalf. I'm bilingual too, and my 'study abroad' experience (well, not necessarily studying abroad) is that I work in my local school district and help children who need translating from my native language to English. It's a really rewarding experience, and I've also volunteered with the red cross abroad for fundraisers. I've had a LOT of bilingual experiences, so I can relate to you on that. Is your second language a native language to you, or did you learn it through school?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone... Kind of feeling disappointed right now and don't know where else to vent out my frustrations to. My CSDCAS was verified and I'm bumped down to a 3.26 overall and 3.59 CSD. I didn't even think that my GPA would be this low - I currently hold a 3.8 at my university so I'm not even sure how that balanced out, or how CSDCAS calculated it. I can't blame them though. The good news to this bad news is that my grades for this semester (12 credits) are going to be posted in a week and a half and that should bring up my CSD GPA to a 3.63 (roughly) and overall to the 3.3 - 3.4 range when I update my CSDCAS transcript... so the 3.26 / 3.59 won't be what is sent to the admissions... it'll be slightly higher. I know it's still bad, but at this point I'm just trying to remain positive with these dim hopes. The good thing is that I have really good relevant work experience, am bilingual, have volunteering hours, and am applying in a 'less' competitive region (the midwest).

I wish applications weren't due until May - because I still have one semester of courses left to take worth 12 credits, and one of my SLP courses will be during that semester, which will bring up my CSD GPA more.... which I'm *SURE* would bring my overall up to a 3.4 and CSD around a 3.65 - 3.7 range (which still is low, I know, but it's better then being in a lower 3.2 range).

I'm just gonna give it a shot for this cycle, and if not, will try again for a winter admissions - fall 2018 admissions. I just have to accept that it is very possible it might not happen on my first try. I have to be okay with this reality. My GRE is on the 30th of this month... so I will be studying rigorously for that. I took the GRE before and my V and AW score were pretty good. I just have to really focus on math now! 

On November 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM, jmk said:

I'm also in the same boat. Great CSD GPA (4.0)...but possibly dropping as I will probably get a B in Audiology,  but my cumulative is sitting at a high 3.4/exactly 3.5....and my CSDCAS cumulative (since they factor in retakes differently) will definitely be a 3.4, as I retook a class. My GRE is quite average (302 combined, 5.0 writing), though I do have a solid resume of clinical experience. 

My first two years of college I was a B/C student; didn't pull it together and apply myself until I transferred schools. My last 60 is a lot stronger (probably around 3.8, I would guess). 

Meanwhile, it doesn't help that I'm sitting in a very competitive state (CA) and am hoping to stay on the West Coast. It has been very discouraging to hear that most of the schools I am applying to take 15 applicants that aren't there own students, and have up to 400 applications per year. I've been slowly pushing my search outside of CA...though my heart wants to stay here because of family and weather. 

Apply outside of CA I am from there and am always cold and am totally fine living out of state.  Everyone I know that has moved for grad school are all also having amazing experiences.  It honestly flys by so fast you'll be back home   With your family in the blink of an eye!!  Plus I have about 5 times a year that I could visit home for a week-4 so plenty of time to visit.  You will not regret moving and experiencing a new state for a few semesters.  Good luck!!

For what it's worth, I just got accepted to NYU's online program with a 3.4 cumulative and a 151 verbal, 145 quant and 3.5 writing. I'm currently working as an SLPA, had been working with kids with special needs since I was 18, fluent in Spanish and proficient in ASL. I also did NSSLHA and Campus Ministry in undergrad. 

14 hours ago, amsullivan said:

For what it's worth, I just got accepted to NYU's online program with a 3.4 cumulative and a 151 verbal, 145 quant and 3.5 writing. I'm currently working as an SLPA, had been working with kids with special needs since I was 18, fluent in Spanish and proficient in ASL. I also did NSSLHA and Campus Ministry in undergrad. 

WOW! You kind of sound similar to me - I've been working in the schools for a while, am fluent in another language, also serve in student orgs... wow! Congratulations!!!

2 hours ago, genyslp said:

WOW! You kind of sound similar to me - I've been working in the schools for a while, am fluent in another language, also serve in student orgs... wow! Congratulations!!!

Thank you!! I didn't get in last cycle at all, and wasn't going to apply to NYU until the deadline for their May cohort, but my admissions counselor encouraged me too. I think their essay prompts really set you up to sell yourself, and I was able to submit my Capstone paper on post-extubation dysphagia. Even though my stats are low, they looked at it holistically.