No academic LOR?

I'm applying to a masters program that is geared specifically towards working professionals, but the application did request at least one of the 3 LOR required be on the academic side. 

However, my BS was in a completely different field (business) and I graduated over 3+ years ago. While I have an impressive academic record from that time, I feel like any professors I contact would only really be able to give me a lukewarm "she was a good student" recommendation at best, whereas all of my industry/professional recommenders will be able to give me a much more personal LOR, and because my field is corporate training/education, they could still speak to my ability to learn/engage in a classroom setting (still not the same as an academic rec though, I know).

I'm guessing it's probably never a great idea to go against the program's recommendations, but I feel like better 3 great LOR that don't 100% fit the bill than 1 so so LOR that does? Or am I way off base?

You should contact the school directly and ask them about your specific situation. If the program is geared towards professionals, they probably have had other people with very similar backgrounds and can tell you what would reflect well on you.

I did this, ended up going with all professional references, and got in at 3/4 places I applied. But, my job experience is closely related to my degree [ed. to add: the degree I was applying to] and my application basically rested on it (my [undergrad] degree was also 4+ years ago and not relevant). And I spoke to people at those schools first. The answer will probably be field dependent, and maybe program dependent as well.

If you're applying multiple places, you may also be able to hedge by getting more than 3 LORs, sending the strongest (presumably all professional) to the programs that don't mind that, and only sending the academic LOR to the programs that insist on it. As for getting the LOR, give your former professor lots of information about you, the program, and what about you specifically you're hoping they can attest to (good student? can handle research? works well independently?). If you don't have an old professor who is willing to write a strong recommendation about that after all this time/in a different field, wait a year and get class, work, or volunteer experience with someone who can.

Edited by themmases

Every program has different meaning when they say "recommended". They might mean that "if you have a good one, you should submit an academic LOR". Or they might mean "yeah this is a requirement but we are using the word recommended anyways". I agree with the above poster--ask the school!

Just to provide an example: my current program says the subject GRE test is "strongly recommended". Some students in my program submitted a score and some didn't, but we all got in! (Before this experience, I would have thought "strongly recommended" is code for "required" but I guess not always!)

Every program has different meaning when they say "recommended". They might mean that "if you have a good one, you should submit an academic LOR". Or they might mean "yeah this is a requirement but we are using the word recommended anyways". I agree with the above poster--ask the school!

That's a really good point! I guess I was thinking of "recommended" as code for "required," but that may not actually be the case.

I did this, ended up going with all professional references, and got in at 3/4 places I applied. But, my job experience is closely related to my degree [ed. to add: the degree I was applying to] and my application basically rested on it (my [undergrad] degree was also 4+ years ago and not relevant). And I spoke to people at those schools first. The answer will probably be field dependent, and maybe program dependent as well.

That's the boat I'm in - my professional experience is much more aligned to the program than my past academic experience would be. It's good to hear what other people's experiences were in a similar situation!

I'm applying to a masters program that is geared specifically towards working professionals, but the application did request at least one of the 3 LOR required be on the academic side. 

However, my BS was in a completely different field (business) and I graduated over 3+ years ago. While I have an impressive academic record from that time, I feel like any professors I contact would only really be able to give me a lukewarm "she was a good student" recommendation at best, whereas all of my industry/professional recommenders will be able to give me a much more personal LOR, and because my field is corporate training/education, they could still speak to my ability to learn/engage in a classroom setting (still not the same as an academic rec though, I know).

I'm guessing it's probably never a great idea to go against the program's recommendations, but I feel like better 3 great LOR that don't 100% fit the bill than 1 so so LOR that does? Or am I way off base?

I think you should check with the school, but I would be very surprised if they said you weren't required to have an academic reference. Also, 3 years really isn't that long? I had two recommendations from my undergrad institution; I graduated in 2010. If you haven't been in touch with any of your professors, there's still plenty you can do to get a letter that's better than "she was a good student". Get in touch with a professor who knew you well (you took multiple classes with, went to office hours, or something like that). Make sure you can provide them with all sorts of info: your best work in their classes, your transcripts, your current CV, your statement of purpose, maybe even your writing sample. If you can give your letter writer a reminder about how awesome you were, and context for why you're applying to a program in a totally different field, you can get a solid letter out of them (and satisfy the requirements of the school you're applying to).