NGO work

jjduval

Hey guys,

So, I'm currently an English teacher in Korea, but I'm looking to expand my horizons beyond, well, Korea. I'm really interested in volunteering/working with an IDEV NGO, but I have no idea where to even start looking. So far, all I can come up with are weird, non-professional looking websites.

Can any of you point me in the right direction? 

It's hard to make many suggestions without more info. What field do you want to work in? In what part of the world? What nationality are you (may matter for some programs/visas)? 

I'd love to work in India or Latin America, in something related to IDEV - education is my strong-suit at the moment. I'm an American, and I speak French, Arabic, and Spanish in addition to English. Surely, there has to be a market for a fella like me out there?

Best advice I'm going to give you right now: Peace Corps.

I did it. I loved it. It's the best thing you will get in IDEV if that's what you want to do. It will open your horizon, and trust me two years is nothing, it goes by so fast.

There is also a great NGO called One Acre Fund that works in Africa. Check them out. But Peace Corps is my vote.

plus 1000 @tunaonrice:  Peace Corps is the way to go. Loved it, and it will definitely help you get into grad programs.

Also, with the Coverdell Fellowships, you can possibly leverage it into some grad funding.