Disciplinary Record

Do graduate schools ask if you have a disciplinary record at your university? Nothing that would show up on a transcript, but a disciplinary record for something such as improperly hosting a party or public intoxication? If they do, does this affect chances of admission at all? I will be applying to computer science graduate schools.

If I remember correctly, all of the applications I came across had a space to answer something along the lines of Have you ever been....by a university....whether it led to disciplinary action or not...

So yeah, it's there. However if it is not on your transcript I am not sure how they would know.  

For what it is worth I know of a few graduate programs that have a "complimentary happy hour" once a week on campus. 

Yes all the applications have one. Check with your under grad university's office of conduct. Minor infractions or warnings may not show up on any sort of disciplinary records and therefore are not disclosed to inquiring universities. You do have to explain any disciplinary records and I would think that would be your place to explain the situation. If you can get a copy of the records first so that you can speak to the specifics addressed in those records, it would be advantageous I think.

Edited by S_Cybelle

One of the students in the phd at my school had a marijuana criminal charge on his record. He was upfront about it in the application. If you think this sort of thing will be found then I think that it may be worth it to mention it and give a reason. Nearly all Freshman go to parties so if handled properly, I don't see why it would hurt your grad school chances.

Edited by bsharpe269