Programs that prefer their own undergrads?

Hi all,

Seeing as I'll be applying this upcoming fall I wanted to see if anyone has run across this issue and has advice. This past year I've been seeing some posts throughout the internet about some SLP grad programs that take preference with their own undergrad students. I was just wondering if any of you came across this in your application process and which schools seem to be guilty of this (say, more than half the admitted grad cohorts are their own students)? This way I, and others, are aware of this for when we apply this upcoming fall. After all, I'm sure many people don't want to waste money if there's even less of a chance they'll get in due to a bias. (Of course, that's not saying that if I really love a program that does this I won't try hard to get in!)

If you'd prefer to message me that's fine too! 

Thanks!

From what I've seen, the majority of schools do prefer their own students. If you're a so-so student at their school, I think they are more likely to accept than a so-sp student from outside the school because they know you. I think I could have easily gotten into my own school but had a harder time at other schools even though they are less competitive overall. I would definitely still apply because there will still be a chance, but if you don't have awesome stats expect more waitlists as they go through their own students first. That's definitely not every school however, but a lot that I've seen. 

Yes and no.  In my current grad cohort, about 15 of the 25 students completed their undergraduate or post-bacc work at the same university.  That said, of those 15, more than half were originally waitlisted.  Many had been accepted elsewhere but indicated a preference to stay if they were to be accepted off the waitlist.  There were quite a few students who had applied and ended up not even on the waitlist.

Being an alumna/alumnus of the university may give you a tiny edge in that the faculty may knows you.  However, you still need to have the stats, the LORs, and personal statement advocating for yourself.

Yes and no.  In my current grad cohort, about 15 of the 25 students completed their undergraduate or post-bacc work at the same university.  That said, of those 15, more than half were originally waitlisted.  Many had been accepted elsewhere but indicated a preference to stay if they were to be accepted off the waitlist.  There were quite a few students who had applied and ended up not even on the waitlist.

Being an alumna/alumnus of the university may give you a tiny edge in that the faculty may knows you.  However, you still need to have the stats, the LORs, and personal statement advocating for yourself.

I agree with this. If there are two students with the same stats, they're going to choose the one from their program (since they already know they can succeed in the subject). However, not all schools pick a certain number of their own students. My undergraduate institution weighs everybody equally. Actually, last year, they only gave 3 spots to their own students out of 20. If you work hard, have good stats, and write a good letter/get good references, you should be able to get into at least one school. Just search, search, search. Find which schools best fit your interests, and which schools are most likely to accept you based on past stats, etc.

Duquesne University prioritize their students. Duquesne has a 5 year accelerated track so that could be why. I spoke to the advisor and he said if you have at least a 3.5 and you did it in their program, it's a guaranteed acceptance in the 5 year track.