Change of Heart

lynne_k8989

Maybe you need to give some details for others to advise you - apparently it's possible, but not always the best etiquette, to renege a decision after April 15th. However, if you rejected an offer I'm not sure if it's possible to get it back, particularly if another applicant has been accepted into your spot.

That being said, it's very common to feel depressed, anxious, or awkward after making a decision - a spectrum of options and possibilities suddenly turns into a certain fate. Again, if you share details you might get more specific advice - whether you officially rejected an offer, what deadlines there are, etc.

As said, if you already denied the place you want to go, then you will most likely not be able to reverse that decision at this point in time.  If you got a second offer at say your number one choice, then you can probably accept that and inform the institution you already accepted that you will not be attending.  They probably won't be happy about it, but just be professional, and it should be fine.

I rejected the offer I now want. But maybe it's because I fear loosing that and I can't stop imagining what I'd have there. Seems like this is a common trend, but I feel pretty negative about my choice. The place I rejected was more friendly and had better vibe and I'm worried this place won't be supportive.

First contact the place you want to go and find out if their offer is still valid. Some schools will actually hold their offers for a period of time (1-2 years) but if all the funding is already allocated, you might be out of luck. However, perhaps you can work something out. Hopefully, this can happen fast so then you can let the school you accepted know about your change of heart ASAP. If you are very certain that you don't want to go to your current accepted school (i.e. would rather not go to grad school than this school), then you should let your current school know right away.

No matter what, there will be some negative consequences due to backing out of an offer at this point in time, and potentially costing the school a position, a student, and maybe some funding. You will just have to accept that is the case and decide if it's worth it for the better school. Ultimately, you should pick what's best for you!

TakeruK is right - give your first choice school a call and see if their offer still stands.  The space may have already been filled, but you never know.  Get in touch with your POI there ASAP and check.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use