Any commuters?

LittleDarlings

So I was on campus for the first time today and I am starting to freak out (nothing new.. I freak out about everything in life).  I live about an hour from my school (on a traffic free day) and I feel like this is bad.  I mean it is far, what happens in the winter? What happens when I can't find parking.  I didn't think parking would be a huge issue since I am handicap and I can practically park anywhere but one of the faculty members said that the lot attached to my building is faculty only, well there were 2 empty handicap spaces. I emailed parking services to find out what a handicap parking pass would entail but everything about this is scaring me.  I don't mind walking and I can walk (far distances take an extremely longtime but hey) I would just prefer to not walk a mile (because the few times I walked a mile it took me about a half hour lol).  I know that people commute and it happens and sometimes people commute from much further away, I just am not used to this. My undergrad school was very handicap friendly with parking and walking and stuff.  I am just wondering if anyone commuted for school, and commuted fairly far? How did that work out for you? 

I commute 45-75 min each way depending on traffic. Most days it takes right around an hour each way. I don't go to school on days that I don't have class or meetings that I must go to. Usually that means I make the commute 4 days a week. Honestly, it does wear me out but I make it work and my living situation is great and worth it. I'm in a masters program. I honestly don't think I could handle it for more than the two years but for two years I can manage.

Bsharpe raises a good point. Would you have to commute every single day, or would it be possible to work out your schedule so you only go a few days a week? Personally, I hate commuting, so I would rather pay to live closer to campus than have to spend 2+ hours in traffic every day. But I think this depends on the person.

Bsharpe raises a good point. Would you have to commute every single day, or would it be possible to work out your schedule so you only go a few days a week? Personally, I hate commuting, so I would rather pay to live closer to campus than have to spend 2+ hours in traffic every day. But I think this depends on the person.

I think 2-3 days a week. I know I am trying to get field placement near home which is 2 days the first Semester and 3 the second. Hopefully classes will be 2 days a week too or I could schedule them like that.

I think 2-3 days a week. I know I am trying to get field placement near home which is 2 days the first Semester and 3 the second. Hopefully classes will be 2 days a week too or I could schedule them like that.

Yikes -- so, even if you get an apartment at school, you may be facing a long commute to your field placement a few times a week!  :unsure: In that case, it's probably not worth it to pay the extra $$ for an apartment...have you tried getting in contact with the disability services office at your school? They might be able to point you to some accessibility options for you. Good luck!

I only had to do 3 days last semester and it actually made a big difference in the amount it wore me out. If you can limit the drive to 2-3 days a week than I don't think it'll be a big deal at all.

I'll be commuting two or three days a week (it will depend on the semester) and my commute is about 60 to 75 minutes each way.  It's no big deal - I've had longer commutes than that before.  I read, listen to my notes or ebooks, or just relax, depending on how much work I have to do.

...have you tried getting in contact with the disability services office at your school? They might be able to point you to some accessibility options for you. Good luck!

Definitely get in touch with this office and see what they can do for you in terms of parking.  Parking at large universities is often a pain, I refer to the parking permits as "hunting licenses" because finding a spot can be challenging.  Ask them point blank what you are supposed to do if you need accommodations for your disability and all the handicapped parking spots are filled, perhaps they have some kind of contingency plan in place for situations like this.  They may or my not actually be much help, but definitely reach out to them.

I commute 45 mins each way, by car.  For me it can be 35-60 mins based on traffic.  I go in Mon thru Fri, and occasional weekends.

For parking: I opted to pay up $$$ for a spot in a student lot.  That way I don't have to drive up and down sidestreets looking for a parking spot after already spending so long in the car.   I am sure there are other commuters at your school- do you have any info about what they do, like the best streets to find parking, etc.  In addition to the disability office also talk to the parking office if you haven't yet.  They will hopefully tell you where commuter students can park.

There will be a few days in the winter where it is kind of terrible- driving conditions are bad, slow traffic etc.  But most days were fine. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I think OP is driving...  wouldn't recommend reading ;)

You'd be surprised what you can do during finals week. 

I am planning to commute a little over an hour each way when I start in the fall. I doubt there will be much time for reading for personal enjoyment, so I am planning to finally put the audible.com account to good use.