Advice needed

Hey guys!

I am graduating this semester from a Quebec Cegep (College) with a Social Science DEC (diploma) in psychology. My mind was set on a Ba in psychology but I am starting to question if I should. Recently, the field of computer science piqued my interest while writing a paper on the cognitive revolution. I got accepted to McGill and with a little research I discovered that they offer the major of computer science/software engineer under the bachelors of art program, therefore the hard sciences are not required. I was wondering what you guys think? Is a Ba in computer science as valuable as a Bs in computer science? I would have the possibility of doing a missing math course during summer.

Thank you:)

No, a BA is not going to be viewed equally to a BS. The hard sciences and math that you're missing with the BA are probably going to be a liability for you. But I'm curious, if you're planning on taking the math classes anyway, why not just do the BS? Now, will you be able to accomplish what you want to with a BA? Perhaps, but you're going to have to compensate for what will be your lacking background in the fundamental science.

The BA is not going to be viewed the same as the BS. If you're doing the work anyway (or most of it), it might be worth getting the BS even if it's more of an effort. However, the most important question is how potential employers will view the BA (assuming you're planning to go into industry and not continue in academia) or alternatively how grad schools view it, if that's the plan. Assuming you'll go into industry, I'd start by looking at ads for jobs you might want to have once you graduate with your degree, and see what the requirements are. There may be organizations on campus that can help you find out about job requirements and how the BA/BS distinction is viewed by employers. You also want to know how the program you'll be in will affect your chances of getting an internship while you are in school, if that's something you might be interested in. Your degree itself counts for more when you're fresh out of school and for less the more experience you have in your field, so it matters most for getting that first job or two straight out of school--so spend time learning about requirements for entry-level positions for people with qualifications like you'll have, and ask yourself if that's what you want to do. 

No, a BA is not going to be viewed equally to a BS. The hard sciences and math that you're missing with the BA are probably going to be a liability for you. But I'm curious, if you're planning on taking the math classes anyway, why not just do the BS? Now, will you be able to accomplish what you want to with a BA? Perhaps, but you're going to have to compensate for what will be your lacking background in the fundamental science.

I cannot do a BS in a Quebec university because I do not have my hard sciences. I would have to redo my Cegep in a 'Health' or 'Pure and Applied' program, which would give me the pre-requisites for entering a BS.. Since I do not have any hard science background, I would have to do it under a bachelor of arts. This is what McGill states:

"The B.A. degree is an ideal way for students without a Science background to pursue studies in Computer Science. Students may choose either the Major Concentration in Computer Science or the Major Concentration in Software Engineering. Combining the Major Concentration in Computer Science with the Supplementary Minor Concentration in Computer Science provides a complete program that is very similar to the B.Sc. major."

I went to my academic advisor, but he wasn't much help so I emailed a coordinator from McGill in CS..unfortunately no response yet so I will try to call friday! Meanwhile, I was hoping on your opinions on this.

Edited by wastro