Advisor's (Advice, tips & tricks, etc.)

Ceci

Hi there,

Is there anyone with an advice or feedback when it comes time to be paired up with or to select a future advisor?

Thank you!

I'm fortunate in that in my program you get to select every member of your committee, including your advisor. For my advisor I went with the person in my department whose field of expertise I felt would be well suited to my research. I took a class with that professor and we clicked well enough that I felt confident it would be a good fit. My advisor is also really great at thinking up new angles to approach a given question from, something that is really valuable to me as I sometimes get tunnel vision.

My second committee member is outside my department/discipline, but also the expert on my research topic. I'm intimidated by this person because I really look up to and admire the work they have done and this person has so much knowledge to bring to my project. However, I'm glad they are a committee member rather than my advisor because I don't feel as comfortable or confident in discussions with them (always worried about making the best impression!).

My third committee member has little research overlap with my project but I get along with this person fantastically. They are super supportive and the kind of person that you could go to with anything - super friendly, easy-going, and supportive. For me, having three committee members who each bring something specific and different to my research is important to me. It provides me with a sense of balance because I can go to different members for different things.

So I guess my advice would be that, if you only get one supervisor, pick someone that can contribute to your research in a valuable way, but also make sure that you are comfortable talking to this person, brainstorming with them, etc. You need someone who will support you through the ups and downs of your PhD and who can also challenge you to produce the best work that you can. Be aware that not everyone will be the best fit and that your both have responsibilities to each other.

My advice is if you get the opportunity to work with him/her first (e.g. through a lab rotation), take full advantage.  There are very few chances where you get to 'test drive' your boss, so learn what kind of advisor they are and decide if they're a good fit.  How do they run their lab (micro-manage, let students sink or swim on their own, etc.)?  Are they available enough for you, or do administrative duties or traveling get in the way? What's their funding situation?  Do they teach you key techniques, or do they leave that up to you to figure out?  Do they communicate well with the senior students, or is there frustration?  You know yourself, so find the best fit for YOU.  Selecting your advisor is probably the most important decision you'll make in the program, put a lot of thought into it.

I recently emailed the admissions POC and found out I will be automatically placed with someone.  I won't have a choice nor will it be based off of research or shared interests...

So, I guess my new question is: What to do when you your advisor is placed with you permanently and without the above mentioned?

Edited by acarr

I recently emailed the admissions POC and found out I will be automatically placed with someone.  I won't have a choice nor will it be based off of research or shared interests...

So, I guess my new question is: What to do when you your advisor is placed with you permanently and without the above mentioned?

for an M.S. I would just focus on getting along with the person and making progress on your thesis. They might not be the best match for you, but you don't have very long to put up with them if things go south.