Who out there is applying this fall?

bsharpe269

You guys are all making me feel so unprepared! I took my GRE and subject GRE (biochemistry) already, but I have just started looking at PI's and schools that I would be interested in. 

Just wondering, who here is applying for a Master's and who is looking for a PhD? I have a BS in Biochem, and I'd like to go straight into a PhD program. Is that a realistic goal?

Yes, this is a realistic goal provided that you did decently as an undergrad and have some research experience. If you've got a low GPA, you probably will need to either do a masters or have had some amazing research experience.

You guys are all making me feel so unprepared! I took my GRE and subject GRE (biochemistry) already, but I have just started looking at PI's and schools that I would be interested in.

Just wondering, who here is applying for a Master's and who is looking for a PhD? I have a BS in Biochem, and I'd like to go straight into a PhD program. Is that a realistic goal?

You're actually ahead off where I ess a year ago as I did my gre in August and I never did the subject test.and as has been said you can get into a PhD with a bachelor's alone. I got into one with a BA and a year of industrial research experience.

• 3 weeks later...

How common is it to contact potential PIs before sending in applications?

I think it depends on the size of the program.  If it's a small program, then faculty members are a bit more receptive to inquiries, especially since you'll most likely see them during the interview process.  For larger programs (example: Harvard's BBS which has 300 students in their program), some faculty members seem to feel it's a waste of time.  Obviously, there are some faculty members who don't feel that way, even if the program is large...  It doesn't hurt your chances though.  

I'd say do it now than later, as late fall and winter time may coincide with grant submission cycles and PIs will be less likely to respond.

• 2 months later...

Because of my low GPA I am doing a mix of both.  One program I am an interested in only confers Ph.Ds. and a few others either require a Master's first or only confer Master's degrees.  So despite my GPA I have not much of a choice  :P