places to volunteer or work????

msknight86

Hello everyone,

I was rejected from 3 of the 4 schools I applied to. So, I would like to spend the summer and rest of the year volunteering or even getting paid experience in the field of social work. Then, I will reapply for fall 2015 and each year after that until I get into some school. I will be applying to USC, CSULA, CSUN, CSUDH, CSUF, CSUB, and UCLA.

I live in the Los Angeles area and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any places to volunteer or work.I'm willing to travel if need be.

Thanks!!!

Not sure what your BA is in, but have you thought about contacting the BSW staff to see if there are some suggestions or groups that might be looking for an intern or volunteer.

My Sociology w/ Social Service Option adviser helped find some places and currently gets information from companies looking for volunteers or employees. I'm sure most Universities have an adviser that keeps track of opportunists.

Ask around to see if any of the companies where interns spent their time over the last 6 months are looking for someone over the summer. There might be some good possibilities.

There are so many places to volunteer in LA. Seriously, I won't be surprised if there's a place down the street from you. It totally depends on the population that you would want to work with since volunteering is a broad term. You can volunteer at a soup kitchen at MEND or do crisis intervention at AIDS Project LA. The possiblities are endless. Where have you volunteered before?

http://mendpoverty.org/

Hi MsKnight86 - AmeriCorps is a great opportunity to get some social work experience. Many organizations hire AmeriCorps members to work as case managers and community outreach workers. I am completing my third year with an AmeriCorps program in Boston and have been working as a behavioral health case manager. I think my service with AmeriCorps really strengthened my MSW application. The best part is AmeriCorps is a paid position with benefits and you receive a $5,500 education award which can be used toward student loans or to pay tuition costs.

There are MANY programs available in the Los Angeles area. Most are accepting applications now and have start dates in July and September. You serve 1700 hours over a 10 to 12 month period. You can search for positions by interest area (i.e. health, housing, homelessness, etc.) Here is the link: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/im-ready-serve

Not sure what your BA is in, but have you thought about contacting the BSW staff to see if there are some suggestions or groups that might be looking for an intern or volunteer.

My Sociology w/ Social Service Option adviser helped find some places and currently gets information from companies looking for volunteers or employees. I'm sure most Universities have an adviser that keeps track of opportunists.

Ask around to see if any of the companies where interns spent their time over the last 6 months are looking for someone over the summer. There might be some good possibilities.

thanks good idea... i will ask around this week!! thanks so much... my ba is in business unfortunately

There are so many places to volunteer in LA. Seriously, I won't be surprised if there's a place down the street from you. It totally depends on the population that you would want to work with since volunteering is a broad term. You can volunteer at a soup kitchen at MEND or do crisis intervention at AIDS Project LA. The possiblities are endless. Where have you volunteered before?

http://mendpoverty.org/

awesome!!! thanks for the link... im on the website now... ive only really volunteered at my church and at a food bank

Hi MsKnight86 - AmeriCorps is a great opportunity to get some social work experience. Many organizations hire AmeriCorps members to work as case managers and community outreach workers. I am completing my third year with an AmeriCorps program in Boston and have been working as a behavioral health case manager. I think my service with AmeriCorps really strengthened my MSW application. The best part is AmeriCorps is a paid position with benefits and you receive a $5,500 education award which can be used toward student loans or to pay tuition costs.

There are MANY programs available in the Los Angeles area. Most are accepting applications now and have start dates in July and September. You serve 1700 hours over a 10 to 12 month period. You can search for positions by interest area (i.e. health, housing, homelessness, etc.) Here is the link: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/im-ready-serve

wow really? that sounds like a good opportunity. do i have to travel tho? I always thought with AmeriCorps you have to travel and I need to stay in los angeles to be close to my family... thanks so much im going to check out the link now

Now I re read my post. HAHA auto correct needs to not be so helpful.  opportunities not opportunists

• 2 months later...

You could also volunteer at your local Red Cross. They have opportunities within their Disaster and Service to the Armed Forces departments to do casework after they train you. Their International Services programs might also be interesting if you're wanting to go into a field dealing with global issues, family reunification, and humanitarian law.