NSF GRFP vs NDSEG (urgent)

Stanford2013

I just found out I got both. Anyone else in the same boat? I have 5 hours to tell NSF and trying to decide if there is any real difference.

My department will pay the tuition shortfall associated with NSF (GRFP does not pay full tuition).

Any comments? Much appreciated!

In my opinion, take NSF.

More pay. More flexibility (5 year tenure vs. NDSEG's 3). There's also XSEDE and GROW if you care about that.

NDSEG is statistically harder to get, but on your CV, you can say that you declined NDSEG. So prestige isn't an issue either.

EDIT: congrats, btw!

Edited by DropTheBase

While the stipend is more for the NSF, I think I remember reading that the NSF pays your institution $12k towards education costs (e.g. tuition), while the NDSEG pays those costs in full.  You might try bargaining with your department to give you a raise if you take the NDSEG.  All else being equal, they shouldn't expect you to take a lower-paying fellowship just to save them money, and you taking the NDSEG in return for a little extra from your department is win-win if you can wrangle it.  DropTheBase's point about the NSF's greater flexibility is a good one, though.

Congratulations, whichever one you choose!