So I got rejected by SAIC for the Post-Bacc...

rilakkuma

...and I am not mad about it but I am angry with how it came about and here's why:

I applied for the Post-Baccalaureate in Visual Communication Design and sent in my application and slideroom portfolio on January 8, 2014. I had the confirmation number and everything. However, I did not pay the $80 application fee because there was a glitch in the system and my card would not go through. So they gave me a waiver.

During the admission process, I was expected to hear an answer in March but the admissions people and the professors have been very unhelpful. Whenever, I asked about when letters would go out, no one gave me a clear answer. When I asked questions or had concerns about the program, people kept directing me to the Visual Communications department and the head person was never there or they were impatient with me. The responses were flaky and unprofessional. One woman even told me that I never handed in my transcript but I did and she had to find it while I was on the phone with her. :blink:

Then they pushed the deadline for the post-bacc up to April! They told me to expect a response in April.

I had to email them again telling them that I did not get a response on the week of Monday, April 14 like they said. Come to find out the man claims he never saw my portfolio before and questioned whether or not I sent it; he also told me that they already have their incoming class. WHAT???? :blink: I had to send him the freakin' confirmation number! How could he assume my portfolio was never submitted when 1) I had a confirmation number and 2) some people in admissions said it was already submitted and looked at. After he received my confirmation number, he goes "oooooh, you used two emails. That's why we never got it!" <_<

The thing is...I never used two emails. Only one. What is wrong with these people? Then he attached the rejection letter to the email.

Something was fishy. There are many theories I have; maybe my portfolio is too commercial in style or what not or maybe it is because I didn't pay the $80 and had a waiver. Who knows? I don't care.

For a school that is charging $43,000 for one year in post-bacc, they sure were being careless and unprofessional. :wacko: Of all the schools that I have applied to, I have never dealt with a school that was like this.

Edited by rilakkuma

That sounds infuriating and I understand your frustration, as I've been in a similar situation. I personally felt like I dodged a bullet, and so should you. Better to find out earlier than later (aka before dropping loads time n money) if a school doesn't have their sh** together..

If you are still interested in a Post-Bacc program -- MassArt/SMFA/MICA are all great, with really warm and helpful faculty and efficient admissions. (I dealt with all three while going thru the Post-Bacc admissions process a few yrs back.. and ultimately couldn't go because of money).    

That sounds infuriating and I understand your frustration, as I've been in a similar situation. I personally felt like I dodged a bullet, and so should you. Better to find out earlier than later (aka before dropping loads time n money) if a school doesn't have their sh** together..

If you are still interested in a Post-Bacc program -- MassArt/SMFA/MICA are all great, with really warm and helpful faculty and efficient admissions. (I dealt with all three while going thru the Post-Bacc admissions process a few yrs back.. and ultimately couldn't go because of money).    

I fortunately did not drop a DIME on SAIC. Phew!!!! :D:lol::-P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

SAIC is great for certain things... photo isn't one of them. Also, they are all about contemporary conceptualism, If you had a particularly commercial portfolio, that might have been part of it.  If you want to go to Chicago, Columbia is waaaaay better for photo.
(got my BFA at SAIC)

While there are many great things about SAIC, their entire back office has the ability to become a giant hot mess in about five seconds. This was true both times I attended.

While there are many great things about SAIC, their entire back office has the ability to become a giant hot mess in about five seconds. This was true both times I attended.

Hi Skywater,

Can you elaborate? With "back office" are you referring to the administration/institution? If so, can you share your experience? Also, what do you mean by "giant hot mess"? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

"For a school that is charging $43,000 for one year in post-bacc, they sure were being careless and unprofessional.  :wacko: Of all the schools that I have applied to, I have never dealt with a school that was like this"

​I had a really nasty experience with SAIC post-bac program as well and heard of similar stories from other SAIC post-bacc applicants. I've heard their PB program is good, but after dealing with how disorganized and unprofessional I found the director to be, I was turned off by the school for both PB and MFA.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or do a lot of schools have bad administration?

The school I am going to now I think it pretty damn good about keeping things straight and keeping students informed...

Personally, I think a lot of schools have bad administration with poor organization.

MICA is the biggest hire of their grads, and I do not think that all art students make good administrators. SAIC hires a lot of SAIC grads as well.

Edited by WoodAndClay

SAIC has been by far my least pleasant experience post being accepted into the MFA program.  It was hard to get information from anyone, and my initial contact, who repeatedly said she was acting as my advocate for funding, basically never followed up with me.  I've heard from a few people that SAIC has become a 'factory' for grad students, and that's definitely in line with my experience in dealing with them.