LSU Geology graduate program

wwzzxx

I have been admitted into this program, and does anyone know something about it? The potential advisor there conducts research in structural geology and tectonics. But my career plan is to work in the oil industry. Would you think it is a suitable program for me?

Thank you.

Structural geology and tectonics are excellent backgrounds to have for the oil industry too

Yep, you definitely can't go wrong with structure. It is applicable in all geological arenas.

Yep, you definitely can't go wrong with structure. It is applicable in all geological arenas.

Structural geology and tectonics are excellent backgrounds to have for the oil industry too

http://geology.lsu.edu/People/Faculty/item32882.html   this is the web link of the potential supervisor there.

Another choice is to enter the one-year course-based Integrated Petroleum Geosciences program at U of Alberta as a high springboard to the thesis-based MS/PHD program.

I really hesitate.

Did you happen to notice where his graduated student is currently?

yes, I have noticed that one of his PHD student is hired by the Shell.

but as you could see,one of his active projects, for example, is 

Surface processes of salt structures

The uncommonly low viscosity and density of salt allows it to have strong control on the evolution and deformation of many passive margins and fold-thrust belts.  While salt is present in many basins around the world, very few salt structures are sub-aerial. Northwestern China offers a recently recognized prospect for sub-aerial investigation of a range of active salt structures. To help understand the strange behavior of salt we are using remote sensing tools, like interferometry of radar imagery, to observe the kinematics of active salt exposures. 

Project participants: Cindy Colon, Alex Webb, Li Jianghai (Peking University), Mao Xiang (Peking University), Rowena Lohman (Cornell)

Here are the recent publications of his. And I could not say this expertise can be used in the oil industry.

Moore, W.B., Webb, A.A.G., 2013, Heat-pipe Earth. Nature, v. 501, p. 501-505.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v501/n7468/full/nature12473.html

Bader, T., Franz, L., Ratschbacher, L., de Capitani, C., Webb, A.A.G., Yang, Z., Pfänder, J.A., Hofmann, M., Linnemann, U., 2013, The heart of China revisited: II Early Paleozoic (ultra)high-pressure and (ultra)high-temperature metamorphic Qinling orogenic collage. Tectonics, v. 32, p. 922-947. PDF

*Leger, R.M., Webb, A.A.G., Henry, D.J., *Craig, J.A., Dubey, P., 2013, Metamorphic field gradients across the Himachal Himalaya, northwest India: Implications for the emplacement of the Himalayan crystalline core. Tectonics, v. 32, p. 540-557. PDF  

(e-mail Dr. Webb for supplementary material file)

*Donaldson, D.G., Webb, A.A.G., Menold, C.A., Kylander-Clark, A.R.C., Hacker, B.R., 2013, Petrochronology of Himalayan ultrahigh-pressure eclogite. Geology, v. 41, p. 835-838. PDF  SUPPLEMENT

Webb, A.A.G., 2013, Preliminary palinspastic reconstruction of Cenozoic deformation across the Himachal Himalaya (northwestern India). Geosphere. v. 9, p. 572-587. PDF  PLATE

Webb, A.A.G., Yin, A., Dubey, C.S., 2013, U-Pb zircon geochronology of major lithologic units in the Eastern Himalaya: Implications for the origin and assembly of Himalayan rocks. Geological Society of America Bulletin. v. 125, p. 499-522. PDF

I hope you give me the refutation.

I just read the title and little blurb at the top, but seriously... that's literally an oil exploration project. Salt deposits are natural oil and gas traps. *edit: and just to be perfectly clear, detecting and characterizing salt deposits is a huge research field in the oil industry

I think it would behoove you to read up on the basics of the industry and science that you are saying you want to go into..I don't mean that in a rude way at all, but how can you know where you want to go or what you want to do without knowing the basics? A bit of reading would go a long way to helping you with your decision.

The high pressure metamorphic stuff is probably less direct/not related, but the other one definitely is

Edited by Geologizer

Yeah, salt tectonics are a major control on oil and gas traps and such. It sounds like I you want to go into the petroleum industry LSU would be the place to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the title and little blurb at the top, but seriously... that's literally an oil exploration project. Salt deposits are natural oil and gas traps. *edit: and just to be perfectly clear, detecting and characterizing salt deposits is a huge research field in the oil industry

I think it would behoove you to read up on the basics of the industry and science that you are saying you want to go into..I don't mean that in a rude way at all, but how can you know where you want to go or what you want to do without knowing the basics? A bit of reading would go a long way to helping you with your decision.

The high pressure metamorphic stuff is probably less direct/not related, but the other one definitely is

Yeah, salt tectonics are a major control on oil and gas traps and such. It sounds like I you want to go into the petroleum industry LSU would be the place to be.

Thanks for the advice. Well, based on my own preference, I choose one-year course-based Integrated Petroleum Geosciences program at UA rather than LSU. You know, this program, as a stepping stone, can supply me a chance to become a research student supervised by the professors there with the specialization in unconventional play. 

• 5 months later...
Hi,

I have recently contacted a professor from LSU and he happens to be taking a student for fall.He encouraged me to apply but also mentioned that he will take the best of the applicants.My credentials are as follows:

Undergraduate Major: Geology
Undergraduate Institution: International Applicant 
Undergraduate CGPA: 3.57 
Most Recent GPA (GPA in last 40 credits): 3.838
GRE: 308
          Quantitative: 156
          Verbal:  152
          AWA:  3.5

Since you got admission, please share your profile so that I can get an overview of what my chances are for getting admission there.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this, but I am currently a geology student at LSU and had to comment for future users who read this thread....

LSU is not really the place to go if you are trying to get into oil work. I mean, yes, you can get into oil, but many of our oil connections are long lost. We have lost a lot of professors, many of them very good. If you are interested in sed, by all means, it's a great place to go. The structural department is going downhill, as one of the best professor leaves after this semester.

UTA, Rice, UH, Ok State, CS of M... all better places for oil. 

This university is unfortunately more interested in its football than its academics.... just be aware of that.