Urgent: Can please someone edit my cover letter for a ph.d position? Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,Can I please request someone to have a look at my cover letter and suggest me the required changes to it. Its really urgent and would appreciate anyone doing that.

Thanks In advance.

Date- 22nd April, 2014

Re: application for PhD position

I am writing to express my interest in applying for Ph.D. position XXX university. I completed my master's degree in Imaging and Microscopy from University X, Ireland with second class upper first grade honors. My research project component of this degree was "Imaging of GFP-labelled thrombocytes in the vasculature of live zebrafish larvae", and this has provided me with an excellent opportunity to put into practice the technical skills and knowledge which I have learnt in the first part of the master's programme.

My master programme involves both theoretical and practical knowledge, and use of imaging equipments and a five month research project. From a scientific and technical perspective my master’s degree has taught me a great deal about design and planning of biological experiments, record-keeping skills. I have gained a thorough understanding of several imaging techniques in my master's programme including electron microscopy (SEM & TEM), confocal microscopy, spinning disk microscopy, high content screening microscopy, atomic force microscopy, light sheet based fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry and relevant associated advanced imaging techniques including FRAP, FLIM, FRET, STORM, PALM, STED, TIRF, etc. And further on experience on Image analysis and processing software's like Image J, Fizi, Imaris, Matlab, etc. While working on these microscopes, I did sample preparation, image acquisition, image analysis and finally report submission.

Prior to undertaking my master's degree, I gained a Bachelor of Technology degree in Biotechnology from Y University, India. My major project during my degree was “Effect of Cordyceps sinensis on the carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity in rats”, carried out from ZZ Organization,  India, Jan-April 2011. I also did two minor projects; (i) Discovery studio software to determine protein structure, from WW Institute, India, June-July 2010, and (ii)  "Genetic diversity analysis of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)" from VV Directorate, India June- July 2009. Throughout my bachelors programme I learned and use basic laboratories techniques like ELISA, SDS-PAGE, PCR, cell culturing, DNA extraction and purification, etc.

Altogether I am aware of the hard work and commitment required for the scientific career. I believe that my knowledge foundation, motivation and aptitude will see me through the challenge ahead. I hope that this position will help me in shaping my future career by understanding more techniques and handling scientific problems evidently, and thus more importantly using my knowledge efficiently in enforcing the growth of the organization. I am confident that my strong academic record and practical work experience have provided me with the necessary skills to be an effective member of your organization.

I will be glad to furnish any other required detail.

Thank you for precious time and consideration.

Sincerely,

XXXXX

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy.

vats77 -- I've edited out some personal information, to help maintain you anonymity. None of it matters for the present purposes, in my opinion. I've also moved the post to a more appropriate location than where you posted it. 

I don't have to do a close edit of this post at the moment but even if I did, I wouldn't know how to begin. Can you tell us what this will be used for? Will it be accompanying an entire application where you elaborate on all the details here, or are you planning on sending this alone to make contact with potential advisors, or something else? It's hard to know how to help without knowing what the document will be used for.

Fuzzylogician- Thanks a ton for your time and modifications you have made in my cover letter. I have written this cover letter for the PhD position in Dundee University, PHOQUS program and my particular selected project is "Super-Resolution analysis of Human Mitotic Spindle". For the application one has to apply online and fill an application form. Let me know if you need for information

Thanks again.