Applying for NSF GRFP in the fall

bsharpe269

Hi everyone,

I know there are tons of people on this forum who applied for NSF last year. There are of course tons of online resources, offering all sort of advice. Since there are so many people on here who just went though the process though, I was wondering if you have any specific advice for those applying in the fall?

Thanks!

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I applied twice and was rejected the first time (as a 1st year grad student) and got the award the second time (as a 2nd year grad student). Nobody from my school has ever gotten this award, and there were no resources available at my grant office to help with the application, so I relied heavily on advice from this forum and from websites.

My main advice, for what it's worth, is to focus on Broader Impacts A LOT. Put however much in there you think you need, then add some more. It is not just about disseminating your project to the community, it is about bringing science/education to the community and especially to K-12 kids. So even community outreach which does not directly involve your project is good. Make the reviewer's job very easy. They need to score you on Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts so make it easy to see how you as an applicant fulfill those criteria. And then when you ask for reference letters, think about how each of your letter writers has PERSONALLY witnessed your merits in these two catagories (intellectual merit and broader impacts) and make sure to ask them to specifically mention those experiences in your letters.

That way, the reviewer sees continuity in the application and your whole package very clearly gives evidence that you are a good candidate. Good grades help, and publications help, but also just having a very clearly written and strong application package is very important.

Good luck to all who apply next year! If you are already thinking about your application that is a great start!

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I applied twice and was rejected the first time (as a 1st year grad student) and got the award the second time (as a 2nd year grad student). Nobody from my school has ever gotten this award, and there were no resources available at my grant office to help with the application, so I relied heavily on advice from this forum and from websites.

My main advice, for what it's worth, is to focus on Broader Impacts A LOT. Put however much in there you think you need, then add some more. It is not just about disseminating your project to the community, it is about bringing science/education to the community and especially to K-12 kids. So even community outreach which does not directly involve your project is good. Make the reviewer's job very easy. They need to score you on Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts so make it easy to see how you as an applicant fulfill those criteria. And then when you ask for reference letters, think about how each of your letter writers has PERSONALLY witnessed your merits in these two catagories (intellectual merit and broader impacts) and make sure to ask them to specifically mention those experiences in your letters.

That way, the reviewer sees continuity in the application and your whole package very clearly gives evidence that you are a good candidate. Good grades help, and publications help, but also just having a very clearly written and strong application package is very important.

Good luck to all who apply next year! If you are already thinking about your application that is a great start!

Great advice, I'll definitely be putting the extra effort in those categories. :) Also congrats on getting it the second time around! 

Great advice, I'll definitely be putting the extra effort in those categories. :) Also congrats on getting it the second time around! 

Thank you very much. It made the difference between me getting to continue working on my project or switching to a better-funded project in my lab. Very grateful!