Can a field placement be too dangerous, or am I being stupid?

I had my first field placement interview yesterday and I think it went very well. It was for an organization that provides care for people with severe mental illness.  I am so excited about it, my role would be that of a case manager.  In my interview they mentioned a big part of my role would be transporting them to and from doctors appointments, SSI appts, and other things they may need.  This kind of worried me because, I am a smaller girl and I have a handicap I am afraid of putting myself in a dangerous position.  I know realistically social work is working with people who have mental illness and being put in different situations. I understand that.  The interviewer said they have only had 1 case where a person was violent towards a case manager.  I just don't know if I am worried for no reason? I mean this is the job and I am the low person on the totem pole.  Should I be worried? Would every field placement be like this? I am interviewing at other places, I don't know if I should bring this up to my advisor or if it is a stupid concern.

You could ask for someone to ride with you if you're transporting someone with a history of violent behavior. But yes, welcome to Social Work! This is one of the realities of the job.

You could ask for someone to ride with you if you're transporting someone with a history of violent behavior. But yes, welcome to Social Work! This is one of the realities of the job.

Definitely not what I expected to be doing. Lol

I strongly believe that one of the most important aspects of being a social worker is the ability to have compassion for your clients that overshadows your own fear or insecurities.

The goal should be providing services to those who are suffering versus holding fear around their disorder. Having worked in a mental health hospital - I too struggled with fear of the unknown and for my safety. Yet, I soon realized that having fear for your client perpetuates the very issues that you are trying to alleviate them from - a society that doesn't understand them and (therefore) alienates them

You need to overcome this fear to be truly effective in your work and to ensure that your emotional well-being is not compromised by your work. 

I strongly believe that one of the most important aspects of being a social worker is the ability to have compassion for your clients that overshadows your own fear or insecurities.

The goal should be providing services to those who are suffering versus holding fear around their disorder. Having worked in a mental health hospital - I too struggled with fear of the unknown and for my safety. Yet, I soon realized that having fear for your client perpetuates the very issues that you are trying to alleviate them from - a society that doesn't understand them and (therefore) alienates them

You need to overcome this fear to be truly effective in your work and to ensure that your emotional well-being is not compromised by your work.

But does that mean possibly being physically assaulted by someone? I mean I feel like there's a line.

Idk I mean assuming I am doing my job correctly they will be comfortable with me enough to not assault me. Also just the idea of me being liable in my own car for someone else isn't ideal to me. I have a few more interviews at other places so I guess we will see.

I think you've missed my main point. I encourage you to examine your fear and whether is serves your clients (and you).

I understand. I guess I didn't really think about this aspect of social work. If this ends up being my field placement I'm going to have to not be afraid of the people I work with.

This is what occurs to me. No school is going to want to put a student in a dangerous situation. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen on occasion, but you have a responsibility to say something to your professor/adviser if you are being put in this kind of situation on a repeated basis. One thing that was made very clear by my adviser during my internship during my practicum class, was that I should never knowingly go into a dangerous situation. I should talk to my FI or her. 

There are rules for you to follow, most likely in your student manual.  What does it say? 

That being said, have some conversations about how this all works. Are you transporting with a driver so you can sit with the client? Or is the client medicated and going to be siting in the back seat while you drive? Ask specific questions to get better answers. 

Hi there,

I just wanted to shed some light on this issue. I work as a social worker on an assertive community treatment team, and we transport clients in our vehicles. The individuals I work with have severe mental illness, and a number have histories of violent behaviour. I also supervise social work students and the expectation eventually is they work independently with clients. I would never put a student in a situation that I believe would put them at risk. The expectation prior to my students going out independently is they become fluent with conducting a mental status examination, which they will practice while shadowing myself and other clinicians. This is important because a change in mental status is telling of more important issues. I don't think you're being ridiculous because staff and client safety is extremely important. I think it would be a good idea to bring up some of your concerns with your advisor and see what is put in place to ensure your own safety (training, carrying a work cell phone, exit strategies, etc). It doesn't go without saying that I absolutely agree with esimanon - while you need to know that the risk is there it doesn't mean that it can happen again. You are there to learn and ultimately support the individuals you work with, and you would be doing them a disservice by not being able to fully develop a therapeutic relationship with them. And you would be missing out on an extremely rich learning opportunity. It would not be offered as a field placement if it were considered too dangerous. This is the reality of social work! Remember you're not there to work, you are there to learn. You don't have all of the answers and it is OK to say to a client "I don't know but I will get back to you" - and to play the student card. And remember your supervisor and the other workers at the agency are there to support you! :)

Edited by mirah56

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm on the verge of getting banned every time I respond to you, but whatever. Like other people, I find it ironic that you of all people are striving to be a social worker. You made an infamous impression on this board with your view that anyone with a baby before they were ready is an absolute loser, although the majority of people you'd be dealing with as a social worker fit into that category. Now, after your first day out in the field, you're saying how you're afraid of your clients. Makes me wonder if you knew what a social worker did before you applied to every school in social work. You better get used to this life quick because this is the life of a social worker. In my opinion, a social worker is a person open to any situation who wants to make a difference to the world. I've always thought you'd needed to reevaluate your reasons for wanting to do social work, and you've never done anything to make me think otherwise.

I'm on the verge of getting banned every time I respond to you, but whatever. Like other people, I find it ironic that you of all people are striving to be a social worker. You made an infamous impression on this board with your view that anyone with a baby before they were ready is an absolute loser, although the majority of people you'd be dealing with as a social worker fit into that category. Now, after your first day out in the field, you're saying how you're afraid of your clients. Makes me wonder if you knew what a social worker did before you applied to every school in social work. You better get used to this life quick because this is the life of a social worker. In my opinion, a social worker is a person open to any situation who wants to make a difference to the world. I've always thought you'd needed to reevaluate your reasons for wanting to do social work, and you've never done anything to make me think otherwise.

I wasn't out in the field necessarily. I was interviewing and he explained the job basically. I understand social work but no I don't want to put myself at risk. I'm sorry maybe that makes me less fit to you but I don't think it is ok to be put at risk. You are dealing with people who may or may not be violent. If something happens to me who is being held responsible? The school? If I got into an accident who is responsible because I don't have insurance that covers over people (I don't think I actually have no idea the type of car insurance I have). To be honest Gnome your opinion about what I should of shouldn't do and my reasons for why I am have done what I have done mean nothing. Please stop stalking me, I would appreciate it:) actually is it possible for you to just put me on ignore because I don't ever want to hear what you have to say. Like ever.

Edited by LittleDarlings

Hi there,

I just wanted to shed some light on this issue. I work as a social worker on an assertive community treatment team, and we transport clients in our vehicles. The individuals I work with have severe mental illness, and a number have histories of violent behaviour. I also supervise social work students and the expectation eventually is they work independently with clients. I would never put a student in a situation that I believe would put them at risk. The expectation prior to my students going out independently is they become fluent with conducting a mental status examination, which they will practice while shadowing myself and other clinicians. This is important because a change in mental status is telling of more important issues. I don't think you're being ridiculous because staff and client safety is extremely important. I think it would be a good idea to bring up some of your concerns with your advisor and see what is put in place to ensure your own safety (training, carrying a work cell phone, exit strategies, etc). It doesn't go without saying that I absolutely agree with esimanon - while you need to know that the risk is there it doesn't mean that it can happen again. You are there to learn and ultimately support the individuals you work with, and you would be doing them a disservice by not being able to fully develop a therapeutic relationship with them. And you would be missing out on an extremely rich learning opportunity. It would not be offered as a field placement if it were considered too dangerous. This is the reality of social work! Remember you're not there to work, you are there to learn. You don't have all of the answers and it is OK to say to a client "I don't know but I will get back to you" - and to play the student card. And remember your supervisor and the other workers at the agency are there to support you! :)

So likely they wouldn't just throw me out there right? They would give me a chance to get to know my clients and understand them and their triggers. That makes it better I think. This was just the first interview and they said my placement will be a mutual match so we will see.

Regardless of what population you work with, regardless of whether there is a history a of violence of not, YOU ARE AT RISK. This is the nature of the business. It doesn't have to be someone physically assaulting you, they can be verbally abusive as well. We work in a field that deals with strong emotions at times, and you just never know. This is why social workers make assessments. Safety is fundamental and if you don't want to be at risk (any kind of risk) you have work to do!

Ps - you cannot transport client until you have the right insurance to do so.

No one would ever throw you out there and say GO. With every work environment there is an orientation and opportunities to meet clients. You cannot do any meaningful work with clients until you have established a therapeutic rapport, so it would make nos ense to throw you out there from the get go.

That made me feel better. I guess I just thought I would be thrown out there. The verbal abuse I think I can handle I was most worried about the physical aspect of everything. I know I can do this, and I want to so I guess where ever I end up is going to be a learning experience either way:)

I am unsure as to why you think you will be at risk because the people you are transporting having mental illness. It seems your biases about this population are overshadowing what social work is. Safety is certainly important, but severe mental illness does not mean more danger than other populations. Your assumption that because they are ill means they are violent  is unfounded.

I am unsure as to why you think you will be at risk because the people you are transporting having mental illness. It seems your biases about this population are overshadowing what social work is. Safety is certainly important, but severe mental illness does not mean more danger than other populations. Your assumption that because they are ill means they are violent is unfounded.

The interviewer mentioned aggressive patients, he mentioned that a lot of times they are coming stepping down between programs and at one point posed a risk to themselves and or others. I definitely understand what social work is, and no I don't think every mentally ill person is violent, but I'm going based on what my interviewer said. He said that he has had 1 person become physically violent with their case manager. I guess in all the time he has been doing it only having 1 person act out like that is good, but still a risk for me. It does make me feel better to know that I will have a chance to get to know them and maybe they will like me and won't be violent towards me, verbally or physically.

Edited by LittleDarlings

Hopefully you will have some sort of training when working with aggressive or violent patients. Some things I've learned in a previous training....

-Don't wear necklaces/chains around your neck (for men, neck ties would be included)

-Don't turn your back on a person that is behind you (ie: if you have to leave the room, walk through the door sideways)

-Sit or stand close to a door (and make sure the walkway to the door is clear)

-Do not put yourself near a corner that you could be backed into

-Stand slightly to the side (left or right) if you think you could be punched in the face

Keep in mind that the media perpetuates a lot of negative stereotypes about people with mental illness. The risk of being injured by a person with mental illness is probably a lot lower than you think. I find that treating people with mental illness with a lot of dignity and respect can go a long way and help them to feel more comfortable around you. But if a person is known to be violent of aggressive, the risk is there to a certain degree. If you keep the above points in mind and get training and instructions on safety and violence reduction from your practicum supervisor, I'm certain that your level of safety will be greatly increased.

Edited by jenste

Thanks everyone! I'm much less concerned! One last question do you live near your placement? I am for sure moving (yay!) about a half hour from campus and my placements that I am interviewing for are near my house which is an hour from campus. Not sure what I should do I am kind of just getting settled on my plan to move so I haven't looked at any places but I already have a potential roommate. Any advice in that aspect. I am afraid to mention anything to my placement advisor because I just don't want to bother her you know?

LittleDarlings,

It sounds as though you do not have much experience in social work. As others have stated, social work is full of unknowns and possibly walking into dangerous situations. I would suggest that you volunteer in a residential facility or shelter this summer before you go off to your MSW program. You will gain valuable experience and some of your fears will be lessened with the experience. If you haven't been tested by a client that is actively SI or HI then you might find the clinical MSW not what you are looking for. 

I think a lot of these responses to the original question are fairly self-righteous. The poster has every reason to be concerned if she's been informed her clients have displayed physical aggression. Being a good social worker doesn't mean taking on a martyr complex and entering blindly into potentially dangerous situations. OP, if the risk feels unacceptable to you (discounting your own personal biases, which I can't possibly know), then you need to sit down with your supervisor and make your concerns known. Maybe there's a way to work around this limitation, maybe not. But people get hurt when they ignore warning signs, and the priority for you has to be safety. If you can't help yourself to stay safe, then how can you expect to help anyone else?

I think a lot of these responses to the original question are fairly self-righteous. The poster has every reason to be concerned if she's been informed her clients have displayed physical aggression. Being a good social worker doesn't mean taking on a martyr complex and entering blindly into potentially dangerous situations. OP, if the risk feels unacceptable to you (discounting your own personal biases, which I can't possibly know), then you need to sit down with your supervisor and make your concerns known. Maybe there's a way to work around this limitation, maybe not. But people get hurt when they ignore warning signs, and the priority for you has to be safety. If you can't help yourself to stay safe, then how can you expect to help anyone else?

Agree!  I had one of my placement interviewers tell me that a MURDER happened just on the street outside their building RECENTLY.  Plus, it wasn't in the best neighborhood (not a lot of them would be) with prostitution, drug dealing, etc.  Mind you.....I knew this would be the areas I would be working in as a social worker.  However, that doesn't mean I didn't Ask the Interviewer about safety measures or concerns they had in place to keep employees and student interns safe.  Plus, everyone should ALWAYS be aware of the POTENTIAL for danger with anyone....yes, even those with mental illnesses, if the interviewer TELLS you there are those with violence issues.  Obviously, our goal is to help everyone, but she expressed a valid concern.  Daily LIVING encompasses dangers and work too.  Just ask the interviewer your questions about safety measures to keep safe and they will always provide training to you....or should.....on what you will be doing.  Evaluate every situation you go into and know your exit strategy, let folks know where you are going, etc.  Just because you choose to become a social worker doesn't mean you become stupid in basic safety concerns.  She should be asking these questions.

1. The term self-righteous is a little derogatory. 

2. Little Darling states that she feels unsafe merely because she would be in close-quarters with people who have mental illness. I don't believe that I was being self-righteous by pointing out a larger feeling (based off of stereotypes and biases that Little Darling seems to be holding) in American culture that results in/perpetuates a society that shuns people with mental illness.

3. I agree that Little Darling should get more direct care experience to demystify her fears and become an ally to her clientele. 

Lol, well I imagine she feels some of these comments were a little derogatory.  Little Darling if you are interviewing still for your placements just consider the type of clients you wish to work with in the future.  If an INTERVIEWER tells you the clientele has tendencies towards violence....believe them and be concerned.  If they are training you as a practicum student, are you prepared, with training, to still do this  type of work.  No matter the clients there are not guarantees for "No Violence" just based on you don't know people's triggers.  Stop stressing and choose a practicum site.  Just maintain open lines of communication with the field supervisor, whose job it is to keep you safe and address your safety concerns.  If you see something, say something....as they say.  Plus, realize some folks in this forum will not be the most supportive in expressing any concerns here.  

Thank you! This is all I wanted to hear really. I mean I have a right to be concerned when the interviewer warns me. I don't think it's an outlandish fear especially being a small girl with a handicap who wouldn't worry a little? Thank you again