Can a field placement be too dangerous, or am I being stupid?

1. The term self-righteous is a little derogatory.

2. Little Darling states that she feels unsafe merely because she would be in close-quarters with people who have mental illness. I don't believe that I was being self-righteous by pointing out a larger feeling (based off of stereotypes and biases that Little Darling seems to be holding) in American culture that results in/perpetuates a society that shuns people with mental illness.

3. I agree that Little Darling should get more direct care experience to demystify her fears and become an ally to her clientele.

I never said I was worried because I would be in close quarters with mentally ill people. That doesn't bother me, I knew what this career was before I filled out my applications. I didn't expect an interviewer to tell me I would have to transport people who have violent tendencies... He said that not me. It isn't about me having a stereotype it is about me being concerned with the fact that I was warned that I could experience physical violence. The verbal abuse I can handle. I know that obviously not all people with mental illness are violent but I am going by what my interviewer told me and yes I was worried and I have every right to be. I have no doubt that if this is my placement though I will get experience and I will adapt to the situation and learn to handle it. I understand your point though don't get me wrong. Edited by LittleDarlings

I read your posts on this subject, Littledarling and honestly, I'll agree with your self-assessment that you're being stupid. Based on these and your other posts here and there on this board, are you sure Social Work is your thing? Perhaps you would feel safer working for a bank, or something, instead. It isn't unreasonable to ask and wonder about how your program ensures your safety during your field placements. That's fair. But, your comfort with casting people with mental illnesses as these terrifying creatures who are ready to attack you at any moment is really awful. What you wrote makes me so intensely dislike you that it's hard to be civil, but I'll try.

I know what I'm talking about here. One of the reasons I chose this profession and my college major, which was Psychology, is because I have a sibling with a bad case of depression and LDs, an uncle with schizophrenia and some cousins on my mom's side with various schizo-affective diagnoses. It's a hereditary thing sometimes.  I grew up knowing a lot more than most of my peers about this subject and my mother had to handle issues with her sibling since she was a pre-teen.  She was more mature about it at 14 than you are right now, by the way.

Here's a fact for you..... people with severe mental illnesses are seldom violent and when they hurt someone, it is usually themselves.  Check into the statistics on this and you'll see. Another point: even if someone with a severe mental illness commits an act of violence, such as hitting a family member or throwing things, that is nearly always because they are not stable with their medications at that time and/or are in a psychotic state. Just because a person has had a violent outburst at some time does not mean that they will just spontaneously attack somebody out of nowhere. Each person with an MI isn't a knife-wielding Chuckie just ready to cut you to pieces at any moment.  Problems with violent outbursts are usually related to LACK OF MENTAL HEALTH CARE and you will be working with people who are receiving such care. 

People with Alzheimer's, which is a widely non-stigmatized brain disorder, can hurt caregivers sometimes.  A great-aunt of mine (little old Italian lady who wouldn't have hurt a soul before she got Alzheimer's) threw something nasty at her very devoted and dying husband. Should you be cognizant of the conditions of the people you are working with? Absolutely.  But when dealing with a population of people who are already so heavily stigmatized that many with mental illnesses refuse to seek care, for exactly the kind of attitude you have about how "dangerous" they are, the last thing they need is a social worker who is quaking in her boots and judging them as criminals just because they're sick.

A few years ago my Mom took my sibling to a county commissioners meeting where the idea of a halfway house for stable, high-functioning persons with MIs could work on recovery. Several local yahoos stood up and kept repeating the completely bogus claim that area children would be in danger if that halfway house was there because the residents were likely to rape the children.  They kept repeating the lie that people with MIs are by definition, likely pedophiles.  My sibling, the one with depression, sat there and listened to person after person imply this and discuss how terrifying people with MIs are, and these were people with no history of any violence.  It's ignorance and it hurts people.My mom stood up and read a list of famous, notable people with MI histories, including Abraham Lincoln.  

All over this nation, young people kill themselves partly because of the stigma associated with asking for mental health care.  Your kind of attitude adds to this stigma. It hurts the very people you may have to serve.

If you want to be 100% safe all the time from all the kind of people you might fear, do everyone a favor and go into another profession. People suffering from mental illnesses need social workers who understand them, treat them like human beings worthy of human dignity and respect and don't send out vibes that they're terrified of them.  It's just appalling. At minimum, do something where you can, perhaps, work only with people you'll never be uncomfortable around. Good luck with that. (may I suggest that bank job again?)

I read your posts on this subject, Littledarling and honestly, I'll agree with your self-assessment that you're being stupid. Based on these and your other posts here and there on this board, are you sure Social Work is your thing? Perhaps you would feel safer working for a bank, or something, instead. It isn't unreasonable to ask and wonder about how your program ensures your safety during your field placements. That's fair. But, your comfort with casting people with mental illnesses as these terrifying creatures who are ready to attack you at any moment is really awful. What you wrote makes me so intensely dislike you that it's hard to be civil, but I'll try.

I know what I'm talking about here. One of the reasons I chose this profession and my college major, which was Psychology, is because I have a sibling with a bad case of depression and LDs, an uncle with schizophrenia and some cousins on my mom's side with various schizo-affective diagnoses. It's a hereditary thing sometimes. I grew up knowing a lot more than most of my peers about this subject and my mother had to handle issues with her sibling since she was a pre-teen. She was more mature about it at 14 than you are right now, by the way.

Here's a fact for you..... people with severe mental illnesses are seldom violent and when they hurt someone, it is usually themselves. Check into the statistics on this and you'll see. Another point: even if someone with a severe mental illness commits an act of violence, such as hitting a family member or throwing things, that is nearly always because they are not stable with their medications at that time and/or are in a psychotic state. Just because a person has had a violent outburst at some time does not mean that they will just spontaneously attack somebody out of nowhere. Each person with an MI isn't a knife-wielding Chuckie just ready to cut you to pieces at any moment. Problems with violent outbursts are usually related to LACK OF MENTAL HEALTH CARE and you will be working with people who are receiving such care.

People with Alzheimer's, which is a widely non-stigmatized brain disorder, can hurt caregivers sometimes. A great-aunt of mine (little old Italian lady who wouldn't have hurt a soul before she got Alzheimer's) threw something nasty at her very devoted and dying husband. Should you be cognizant of the conditions of the people you are working with? Absolutely. But when dealing with a population of people who are already so heavily stigmatized that many with mental illnesses refuse to seek care, for exactly the kind of attitude you have about how "dangerous" they are, the last thing they need is a social worker who is quaking in her boots and judging them as criminals just because they're sick.

A few years ago my Mom took my sibling to a county commissioners meeting where the idea of a halfway house for stable, high-functioning persons with MIs could work on recovery. Several local yahoos stood up and kept repeating the completely bogus claim that area children would be in danger if that halfway house was there because the residents were likely to rape the children. They kept repeating the lie that people with MIs are by definition, likely pedophiles. My sibling, the one with depression, sat there and listened to person after person imply this and discuss how terrifying people with MIs are, and these were people with no history of any violence. It's ignorance and it hurts people.My mom stood up and read a list of famous, notable people with MI histories, including Abraham Lincoln.

All over this nation, young people kill themselves partly because of the stigma associated with asking for mental health care. Your kind of attitude adds to this stigma. It hurts the very people you may have to serve.

If you want to be 100% safe all the time from all the kind of people you might fear, do everyone a favor and go into another profession. People suffering from mental illnesses need social workers who understand them, treat them like human beings worthy of human dignity and respect and don't send out vibes that they're terrified of them. It's just appalling. At minimum, do something where you can, perhaps, work only with people you'll never be uncomfortable around. Good luck with that. (may I suggest that bank job again?)

Well first of all don't be rude, I don't need you to tell me to find a new profession. I got into an amazing school for a program that I want to do and guess what..?? I'm doing it. I am not afraid of people with mental illness but I can admit I have never worked with mentally ill people directly, I have some small amount but not a lot. Maybe you failed to read but like I said my interviewer brought this up to me. I understand why they might be violent (because they might not be stable on meds) but that either way THEY COULD BE VIOLENT and I should worry. Maybe you are ok with throwing yourself into dangerous positions but I'm not the most keen on it, especially when I have been warned of the danger by someone whose worked at the facility over 10 years. If you aren't going to offer any actual USEFUL advice then I really don't need your response at all:)

I have made my decision and this is the career I am pursuing, my ties to mental illness might not be as strong as yours, but I obviously picked this field for a reason. I got accepted for a reason, no I don't have a ton of experience working with mentally ill people but neither do a lot of people pursuing the career. I understand it's the cool thing on this website to gang up on me and treat me like some idiot who doesn't know anything but... I got into a really great school, I'm going to school just like you are, you aren't better than me. You may have more experience or whatever but in the end we are going in the same direction.

Edited by LittleDarlings

Though I understand your concerns Little Darling, Figaro does make several very valid points.  As someone who is a disabled combat Veteran (who suffers from mental health issues related to my time in the service), I know first-hand how stigmatization against those with mental health issues can often deter someone with a mental health issue to seek treatment.  Currently I'm a research assistant and one of the research studies my supervisor specializes in is stigma and barriers to mental health care.  Those who have mental health issues are people just like yourself, and though someone with a mental health diagnosis may have a greater tendency for negative behavior (e.g., attacking someone, verbal abuse, substance abuse, etc.), you have to understand that negative behavior such as violence is not isolated to those with mental health issues.  Unfortunately the media thrives on stories such as the Colorado Theatre Massacre, the Fort Hood shooting (Maj. Hasan), and Sandy Hook because the perpetrators all suffered from mental health issues--thus it's easy to assume that those with mental health issues are unstable.  As a Veteran, one of the main hurdles I've had to overcome is trying to reintegrate into a normal life as a civilian.  The military changes you.  Fortunately I wasn't on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan (Lord knows I'd be a completely different person if that were the case), but how are we as Veterans (who often suffer from mental health issues) supposed to be reintegrated into society when we're often stigmatized as being "unstable, unpredictable, broken, etc."?  I'm not saying that you shouldn't address your fears and concerns (like Figaro said), but it's important to see the patient/client as a PERSON just like you.  Should you ignore their past violent behavior or violent tendencies?  No, absolutely not.  It's not different than when someone walks home from a bar or party late at night and may be intoxicated---it's probably a good idea to be aware of one's surroundings and maybe have a friend walk with you for added safety (or calling/texting someone to let them know you're on your way home).  It's all about remaining aware of your surroundings and helping to defuse situations that could potentially become violent.  If you recall the Stanley Milgram social experiment where he brought in participants who, though they seemed rational and moralistic, often continued through the study issuing severe shocks to the confederate because the "doctor" told them to continue with the study despite the confederate's screams for help.  What does this mean?  It means that the potential is in us to act out negatively, but that doesn't mean we have to act upon it.  Past behavior does not necessarily determine future behavior.  By believing in someone who's struggling with mental health issues or other issues that are often comorbid (such as substance abuse) that they can change for the better, is one of the ways in which a social worker can help.  Most of us have had people who've believed in us and seen potential within us that we may not have necessarily seen (e.g., a teacher or a parent). 

Though I understand your concerns Little Darling, Figaro does make several very valid points. As someone who is a disabled combat Veteran (who suffers from mental health issues related to my time in the service), I know first-hand how stigmatization against those with mental health issues can often deter someone with a mental health issue to seek treatment. Currently I'm a research assistant and one of the research studies my supervisor specializes in is stigma and barriers to mental health care. Those who have mental health issues are people just like yourself, and though someone with a mental health diagnosis may have a greater tendency for negative behavior (e.g., attacking someone, verbal abuse, substance abuse, etc.), you have to understand that negative behavior such as violence is not isolated to those with mental health issues. Unfortunately the media thrives on stories such as the Colorado Theatre Massacre, the Fort Hood shooting (Maj. Hasan), and Sandy Hook because the perpetrators all suffered from mental health issues--thus it's easy to assume that those with mental health issues are unstable. As a Veteran, one of the main hurdles I've had to overcome is trying to reintegrate into a normal life as a civilian. The military changes you. Fortunately I wasn't on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan (Lord knows I'd be a completely different person if that were the case), but how are we as Veterans (who often suffer from mental health issues) supposed to be reintegrated into society when we're often stigmatized as being "unstable, unpredictable, broken, etc."? I'm not saying that you shouldn't address your fears and concerns (like Figaro said), but it's important to see the patient/client as a PERSON just like you. Should you ignore their past violent behavior or violent tendencies? No, absolutely not. It's not different than when someone walks home from a bar or party late at night and may be intoxicated---it's probably a good idea to be aware of one's surroundings and maybe have a friend walk with you for added safety (or calling/texting someone to let them know you're on your way home). It's all about remaining aware of your surroundings and helping to defuse situations that could potentially become violent. If you recall the Stanley Milgram social experiment where he brought in participants who, though they seemed rational and moralistic, often continued through the study issuing severe shocks to the confederate because the "doctor" told them to continue with the study despite the confederate's screams for help. What does this mean? It means that the potential is in us to act out negatively, but that doesn't mean we have to act upon it. Past behavior does not necessarily determine future behavior. By believing in someone who's struggling with mental health issues or other issues that are often comorbid (such as substance abuse) that they can change for the better, is one of the ways in which a social worker can help. Most of us have had people who've believed in us and seen potential within us that we may not have necessarily seen (e.g., a teacher or a parent).

Well at least you put it in a nicer way than Figaro. I get it, I have gone through therapy for mild depression for years so I understand mental illness and that not everyone is violent. The interviewer warned me... So you all can say what you want about me but are you out there putting your life at risk at your field placement? I am not shaming mental illness and I would never make someone feel bad for it, especially when I have had my own mental health issues at points, but the fact of the matter is that it is possible to experience violence and that worried me. I'm not expecting to for or anything like that of course but it isn't outlandish of me to worry (even though obviously to you all it is). Anyways it doesn't really matter I haven't picked a placement and maybe this specific one just isn't my fit. I guess I will find out soon. Ok thanks everyone. Edited by LittleDarlings

@ LIttleDarlins - I just want to add that I said what I said previously because I very much understand what it's like to work in an ACTUAL dangerous environment.

I worked in a visitation center where parents visited with their children that were removed from their care by the state and placed into foster care. As the staff that worked the front door and managed the case files (which resulted in being the one instituting the rules/regulations) I was very much at danger. In the year that I worked at the location, I had several threats against me - both in person and over the phone. I had a two stalkers trying to enter the building and continuously call the office. One stalker came to the office and banged on the front door screaming, "Let me in, little pretty, I know you are in there!". We had a panic police button installed, an intercom system so I could alert other staff (whose office was in the back room) to assist me in a safety situation and for one week I wasn't allowed to leave the building unless I was escorted by another staff. In addition, I was subject to verbal abuse almost on a daily basis. I had one parent almost physically assault me. I also worked at a mental health hospital where a client threw a trash can at me and another tried to punch me (luckily another staff stopped them). 

Although I was faced with true danger, I was not afraid. Instead, I used these measures to see how much support the clients really needed. When you see how extreme people can get, it shows you the pain/suffering they are in. If you use this as a tool to see what clients need, you can assist them better. When a client had an outburst towards me, I would say, "I can see that you're really struggling right now." 9 times out of 10, this would lead to a conversation where I would be able to give them space to talk about their stress and provide support.

Also, when clients could feel that I was afraid, they often tested me more. By showing them that I was not afraid of them, we were able to connect on a deeper and more natural level. Almost every client will have a way of testing you as many of them have had many service providers. They want to see what you're made of - so trying to navigate through the field of social work in fear will not serve you or your future clients. 

If I seemed harsh before, I am sorry. I just want you to feel secure in your work and be the best at what you do. It took me a while to learn about fear in the work - I believe you will be great if you get past the fear element. You will grow in ways you could never have imagined in social work :)

Edited by esimanon

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Also, LittleDarlings - you voted your own comments "up"? Seems a little strange...

She's always done that.

@ LIttleDarlins - I just want to add that I said what I said previously because I very much understand what it's like to work in an ACTUAL dangerous environment.

I worked in a visitation center where parents visited with their children that were removed from their care by the state and placed into foster care. As the staff that worked the front door and managed the case files (which resulted in being the one instituting the rules/regulations) I was very much at danger. In the year that I worked at the location, I had several threats against me - both in person and over the phone. I had a two stalkers trying to enter the building and continuously call the office. One stalker came to the office and banged on the front door screaming, "Let me in, little pretty, I know you are in there!". We had a panic police button installed, an intercom system so I could alert other staff (whose office was in the back room) to assist me in a safety situation and for one week I wasn't allowed to leave the building unless I was escorted by another staff. In addition, I was subject to verbal abuse almost on a daily basis. I had one parent almost physically assault me. I also worked at a mental health hospital where a client threw a trash can at me and another tried to punch me (luckily another staff stopped them).

Although I was faced with true danger, I was not afraid. Instead, I used these measures to see how much support the clients really needed. When you see how extreme people can get, it shows you the pain/suffering they are in. If you use this as a tool to see what clients need, you can assist them better. When a client had an outburst towards me, I would say, "I can see that you're really struggling right now." 9 times out of 10, this would lead to a conversation where I would be able to give them space to talk about their stress and provide support.

Also, when clients could feel that I was afraid, they often tested me more. By showing them that I was not afraid of them, we were able to connect on a deeper and more natural level. Almost every client will have a way of testing you as many of them have had many service providers. They want to see what you're made of - so trying to navigate through the field of social work in fear will not serve you or your future clients.

If I seemed harsh before, I am sorry. I just want you to feel secure in your work and be the best at what you do. It took me a while to learn about fear in the work - I believe you will be great if you get past the fear element. You will grow in ways you could never have imagined in social work :)

Well thank you. I definitely understand acting out when you're hurting the most. Either way I am excited for this experience. Thank you again!!

Lol and yes I upvote myself a lot just a habit from past posts

Edited by LittleDarlings

OP,

I would urge you to really check your biases and preconceived notions these last few months before you begin your program. You are not alone in this, we all have them. When I initially read this post, I read it bearing in mind your famous post on this website and the negative feelings that I had toward it (i disagreed and took offense to a lot of what you said). I had to step back and objectively consider what you were asking here in this post.

Again, we all are fallible and have biases and I caution you to reflect on them now. When you deal with future clients they WILL rear their heads.

I dealt with a particular person in my program who is very anti military and their wanton hate for it spewed over into their interactions with me as a veteran. It is very hurtful to be at the recieving end of somebody's ignorance/intolerance/_________. I dont think you are being "stupid". I think that your perception of severe mental illness may be skewed by popular culture and the horrendous events in the news as a previous poster mentioned. Just like the person in my program thought that all veterans behaved like x,y, and z. It couldn't be further from the case. Again, use this summer to reflect about what it will be like working with folks who are unlike yourself. You will be challenged in more ways than one and it will be uncomfortable. I can only imagine that you (if you took this job) would be timid around your prospective clients (because you are a small girl and they have mental illness and surely folks with mental illness are violent. Correlation does not mean causation). They will pick up on that. I actually think this would be a great placement for you because it places you a bit out of your comfort zone. I went into my first placement and I was ABSOLUTELY out of my comfort zone. You are actually excited about the work you could do at this placement (i was not). Now that my placement is over I wouldn't change the experience for anything in the world.

Edited by TLC

Well first of all don't be rude, I don't need you to tell me to find a new profession. I got into an amazing school for a program that I want to do and guess what..?? I'm doing it. I am not afraid of people with mental illness but I can admit I have never worked with mentally ill people directly, I have some small amount but not a lot. Maybe you failed to read but like I said my interviewer brought this up to me. I understand why they might be violent (because they might not be stable on meds) but that either way THEY COULD BE VIOLENT and I should worry. Maybe you are ok with throwing yourself into dangerous positions but I'm not the most keen on it, especially when I have been warned of the danger by someone whose worked at the facility over 10 years. If you aren't going to offer any actual USEFUL advice then I really don't need your response at all:)

I have made my decision and this is the career I am pursuing, my ties to mental illness might not be as strong as yours, but I obviously picked this field for a reason. I got accepted for a reason, no I don't have a ton of experience working with mentally ill people but neither do a lot of people pursuing the career. I understand it's the cool thing on this website to gang up on me and treat me like some idiot who doesn't know anything but... I got into a really great school, I'm going to school just like you are, you aren't better than me. You may have more experience or whatever but in the end we are going in the same direction.

I apologize for being too harsh in my delivery and for the sarcastic tone, but still think you should re-consider your career choice. Whether you do or not is of no concern to me personally, but for the sake of your future clients, it seems a little more reflection might be a good idea. I reacted as I did because whenever anyone automatically assumes that as a group, people with any one of a broad number of mental issues are more likely to be more dangerous than anyone else feels like a direct attack on some very much loved family members of mine and it hurts me because those attitudes hurt them and people in their same boat. I have loved ones who have suffered doubly from mental illnesses. Firstly, from the illness itself and secondly, from the stigma associated with it, which causes people like you to draw very harmful and unfair conclusions about them.Stigma limits their opportunities and harms them in many other ways.  I grew up with these issues. Nobody at my house was ever scared of people with MIs. When someone wasn't well, the family helped them as best they could, just as we would have if one of us had cancer or diabetes. You said that you have a mental illness. You named depression.  Let me ask you this: should your co-workers and fellow students be afraid of you when you begin working and studying with them? Of course not, you're likely to say. That's silly.That's som ething for you to think about. How would you feel if someone was afraid to drive you somewhere just because you have a history of depression?  That stings, doesn't it?  Again - you won't be working with people with untreated MIs. Your clients will be in treatment. That's a really big difference.

Your original post on this subject said that you were told that in the entire experience of the person you spoke with, there had only been once instance of a case manager being somehow assaulted by a client, yet you see that as a significant danger warning. I don't how that would work out statistically in light of the total number of people that place has worked with, but the rate of violence among any population of people, when working with the public, might be expected to be higher than that. You didn't say you were going to be working as case manager. You said that your job was to transport people to appointments and such.  That's another important distinction. Case managers deal with dicier problems and issues than driving people.

There's no guarantee of safety anywhere you go, no matter what you do in this world. If you spend some time reading about this subject, you will discover that the stats don't support your level of fear of people with MIs. People with MIs are far more statistically likely to be victims than perpetrators of violent crimes. Overall, their rate for violent crime isn't any higher than the general population. Substance abuse is more of an indicator of violence potential. There are so many factors when it comes to mental health and danger.

I never said I was better than you, i just questioned the fitness of this career path for you, given the things you have written.  I'll be working in Philadelphia and doing home visits. My family is more worried about me getting mugged going back and forth to those home visits than they are about my clients. They bought me pepper spray, and I'll take precautions, but this career can never be 100% safe. You can't be 100% safe even if you never leave your home.

If you go forward with this, then I hope you take a class on mental illness. If not, then please spend some time reading about this subject so you aren't scared to work with what is a good chunk of the population of the country. It would not be good for people if you communicate fear when you work with them. That's just insulting and offensive if they sense that from you.  Maybe you will be more comfortable if you brush up on the subject. Here's an article from psychcentral.com for you if you care to peruse it...

http://psychcentral.com/archives/violence.htm

I think a lot of these responses to the original question are fairly self-righteous. The poster has every reason to be concerned if she's been informed her clients have displayed physical aggression. Being a good social worker doesn't mean taking on a martyr complex and entering blindly into potentially dangerous situations. OP, if the risk feels unacceptable to you (discounting your own personal biases, which I can't possibly know), then you need to sit down with your supervisor and make your concerns known. Maybe there's a way to work around this limitation, maybe not. But people get hurt when they ignore warning signs, and the priority for you has to be safety. If you can't help yourself to stay safe, then how can you expect to help anyone else?

The OP wrote that only ONE person in the history of the place had ever assaulted a case manager.  ONE! Maybe he or she threw a book or something; we don't even know the seriousness of that assault. It could have been a thrown slushie. Statistically, that one assault might be well below what it would be with the same number of people in the general population. We don't know how many people came threw the doors during its existence, but it's probably a lot if it has been there many years.  I'm trying to think of a line of social work that has absolutely no risk, ever, to it at all, and I can't think of one. Being sensible about one's safety and taking precautions, so as to avoid unnecessary risks is always a good idea. I don't think anyone would recommend "ignoring warning signs." It's just that I don't think one lonely case of something violent over the course of the operation of the entire place is a "warning sign."  That sounds like a pretty safe gig to me.

I apologize for being too harsh in my delivery and for the sarcastic tone, but still think you should re-consider your career choice. Whether you do or not is of no concern to me personally, but for the sake of your future clients, it seems a little more reflection might be a good idea. I reacted as I did because whenever anyone automatically assumes that as a group, people with any one of a broad number of mental issues are more likely to be more dangerous than anyone else feels like a direct attack on some very much loved family members of mine and it hurts me because those attitudes hurt them and people in their same boat. I have loved ones who have suffered doubly from mental illnesses. Firstly, from the illness itself and secondly, from the stigma associated with it, which causes people like you to draw very harmful and unfair conclusions about them.Stigma limits their opportunities and harms them in many other ways.  I grew up with these issues. Nobody at my house was ever scared of people with MIs. When someone wasn't well, the family helped them as best they could, just as we would have if one of us had cancer or diabetes. You said that you have a mental illness. You named depression.  Let me ask you this: should your co-workers and fellow students be afraid of you when you begin working and studying with them? Of course not, you're likely to say. That's silly.That's som ething for you to think about. How would you feel if someone was afraid to drive you somewhere just because you have a history of depression?  That stings, doesn't it?  Again - you won't be working with people with untreated MIs. Your clients will be in treatment. That's a really big difference.

Your original post on this subject said that you were told that in the entire experience of the person you spoke with, there had only been once instance of a case manager being somehow assaulted by a client, yet you see that as a significant danger warning. I don't how that would work out statistically in light of the total number of people that place has worked with, but the rate of violence among any population of people, when working with the public, might be expected to be higher than that. You didn't say you were going to be working as case manager. You said that your job was to transport people to appointments and such.  That's another important distinction. Case managers deal with dicier problems and issues than driving people.

There's no guarantee of safety anywhere you go, no matter what you do in this world. If you spend some time reading about this subject, you will discover that the stats don't support your level of fear of people with MIs. People with MIs are far more statistically likely to be victims than perpetrators of violent crimes. Overall, their rate for violent crime isn't any higher than the general population. Substance abuse is more of an indicator of violence potential. There are so many factors when it comes to mental health and danger.

I never said I was better than you, i just questioned the fitness of this career path for you, given the things you have written.  I'll be working in Philadelphia and doing home visits. My family is more worried about me getting mugged going back and forth to those home visits than they are about my clients. They bought me pepper spray, and I'll take precautions, but this career can never be 100% safe. You can't be 100% safe even if you never leave your home.

If you go forward with this, then I hope you take a class on mental illness. If not, then please spend some time reading about this subject so you aren't scared to work with what is a good chunk of the population of the country. It would not be good for people if you communicate fear when you work with them. That's just insulting and offensive if they sense that from you.  Maybe you will be more comfortable if you brush up on the subject. Here's an article from psychcentral.com for you if you care to peruse it...

http://psychcentral.com/archives/violence.htm

Thank you, and I am genuinely sorry that I offended you. I have had mild depression and gotten treatment for it for a while and I wouldn't want to be stigmatized or treated differently. I guess I didn't fully think about that when I made the question. The interviewer said part of my job as a case worker would be transportation. I definitely understand what you're saying, I'm not going to choose another profession because I love this, I know I can do something great and I'm excited about it. I obviously would never want to hurt someone who is already hurting you know? Anyways thank you for the link and I will check it out.

OP,

I would urge you to really check your biases and preconceived notions these last few months before you begin your program. You are not alone in this, we all have them. When I initially read this post, I read it bearing in mind your famous post on this website and the negative feelings that I had toward it (i disagreed and took offense to a lot of what you said). I had to step back and objectively consider what you were asking here in this post.

Again, we all are fallible and have biases and I caution you to reflect on them now. When you deal with future clients they WILL rear their heads.

I dealt with a particular person in my program who is very anti military and their wanton hate for it spewed over into their interactions with me as a veteran. It is very hurtful to be at the recieving end of somebody's ignorance/intolerance/_________. I dont think you are being "stupid". I think that your perception of severe mental illness may be skewed by popular culture and the horrendous events in the news as a previous poster mentioned. Just like the person in my program thought that all veterans behaved like x,y, and z. It couldn't be further from the case. Again, use this summer to reflect about what it will be like working with folks who are unlike yourself. You will be challenged in more ways than one and it will be uncomfortable. I can only imagine that you (if you took this job) would be timid around your prospective clients (because you are a small girl and they have mental illness and surely folks with mental illness are violent. Correlation does not mean causation). They will pick up on that. I actually think this would be a great placement for you because it places you a bit out of your comfort zone. I went into my first placement and I was ABSOLUTELY out of my comfort zone. You are actually excited about the work you could do at this placement (i was not). Now that my placement is over I wouldn't change the experience for anything in the world.

Very well thought out response TLC.  Change and growth typically only happen when we are stretched and challenged (e.g., "growing pains")...heck that's why basic training in the military is often one of the toughest things to do because we have to overcome our greatest obstacle:  our own fears and doubts.  People such as our parents, teachers, and drill instructors often see the potential in us that we may not necessarily see and just because we may not think we are capable doesn't mean we're unable.  I too agree that it's the difficult and challenging moments in life that are often pivotal and growth-enabling.  How then is a baby able to learn how to walk if he/she doesn't fall on their butt a few thousand times?

I don't have much to add, honestly.

I will say though, I just graduated with my MSW. I got my first job and have to transport clients as well. If you transport clients, make sure your auto insurance covers it--please. It is considered business use and many insurance companies do not cover this use under personal insurance policies. My agency provides auto insurance for us.

This is your career choice. I won't tell you what to do with your life. But I will tell you clients are not dumb. They will sense any, and all, bias and/or fear--do not doubt this. As a result, this could impact your relationship with your client. I have no doubt you are en route to being a fantastic social worker. However, I do not know a social worker who do not have populations that make them uncomfortable. I cannot do hospice. This is my professional boundary. It does not make me a "bad" social worker. I am also not saying that you are not meant to do this work. Just make sure you know where these fears are stemming from and ways to take care of you in the process.

Edited by citychild

• 3 weeks later...

LittleDarlings,

Have you secured a placement yet?

Not yet, I have only had that 1 interview. I spoke to my advisor and because of my fellowship, and the specification they put on EBP, I need a field placement with Evidence Based Practice so it is basically back to the drawing board for me.  I am panicking a little because I just want my placement!! 

• 2 weeks later...

My field placement was with the severe and persistently mentally ill. None of them were violent or dangerous, though some of them had histories of being violent and dangerous to themselves or others. If you enter a situation that you are uncomfortable with and feel like you are putting yourself in harm's way, say one of the persons made you extremely uncomfortable and you felt they were going to inflict harm on themselves or you, I would cancel with the person and bring this issue up with your field supervisor. I had to do plenty of home visits at my field placement and was always encouraged to cancel with a person if I felt the environment was not safe. We do important work, but don't feel like you have to do something that you feel is dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have an interview for a place I am really into. It is an organization that helps people who have mental illness and substance abuse as well have who have been diagnosed with HIV. This seems like an awesome opportunity to help a different demographic of people as well as see duel diagnoses. I am pumped! Wish me luck! :)

So I have an interview for a place I am really into. It is an organization that helps people who have mental illness and substance abuse as well have who have been diagnosed with HIV. This seems like an awesome opportunity to help a different demographic of people as well as see duel diagnoses. I am pumped! Wish me luck! :)

That sounds like a great opportunity.  One of my friends in my BSW program was placed in a HIV counseling and case management center and really enjoyed the experience.