Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

Hi All,

Well, it still might be early, but now that the current cycle is (mostly) over, I thought I'd give a shout out to fellow Psychology and/or Neuroscience 2015 hopefuls! I'm still compiling/narrowing down my school list, but I am preparing to apply to Cog Psych and Cog Neuro PhD programs for next fall.

Who's with me? 

Edited by Gvh

Well, I am too preparing for Fall 2015 doctoral program in I/O psychology. I have kind of compiled a list of universities I'm gonna apply for this fall, GRE yet to be given though  :)  :)

I'm applying in the Fall also; I wish I applied for this past cycle.

In the meantime, I've been studying for the GRE, researching schools/programs, working on my SoP, and revising my CV and resume.

I'm applying in the Fall also; I wish I applied for this past cycle.

In the meantime, I've been studying for the GRE, researching schools/programs, working on my SoP, and revising my CV and resume.

Wow, working on your SoP already? Talk about ahead of the game! :)

I'll be applying to somewhere around 15 programs this fall. I have been working on my SoP's as well. I seem to never be satisfied with it. Have been pursuing my letters and volunteering at a psychology research lab. My CV is pretty set so we shall see. Plan on sending all my apps out in October so then I can do the 5 month extended waiting game.

I'll be applying this fall for Cog Psych & Clinical Psych w/ Neuropsychology tracks.  Currently trying to find programs that my interests align with and also looking for a full-time research assistant opportunity.  Have a back-up plan that will net me 30hrs/week in a lab starting in July, but would much rather take a position as a research assistant or neuropsychological tech.  I'm just glad I got the GRE's out of the way lol.

@Ahoy_Milloy, I'm jealous. I took the GRE's for my masters back in 2011 but have decided to retake since they are embarrassingly low. Decided to just give it my all and sign up for a Princeton review class in my area (goodbye money..!)...Yeah, it's expensive but there's no way I'm taking them a third time.

Edited by Gvh

You got plenty of time at least. Just make sure you look at the specific school code the programs you're interested in want you to send your scores to. Dont waste your 4 freebies like I did. Some psych programs want you to send scores to the entire graduate school, not the psych dept. Sucks that they expect you to remember those codes when you arent allowed to take anything in with you.

I posted on here over a year ago now, wow, trying to figure out where I wanted to go in psychology, and now it's finally time to start planning out my applications! I've got 7 schools down to definitely apply to, and I'm trying to figure out what my upper limit should be. 15?

I set my upper limit at 15. Past that point I think I'd be running into diminishing returns. I weeded this down from nearly 20. The amount of "safety" options I had was silly. I know that in this field (competitive schools) there is no real safety school, but if you'd potentially turn down the acceptance anyway then do NOT apply. Total waste of time and money.

I set my upper limit at 15. Past that point I think I'd be running into diminishing returns. I weeded this down from nearly 20. The amount of "safety" options I had was silly. I know that in this field (competitive schools) there is no real safety school, but if you'd potentially turn down the acceptance anyway then do NOT apply. Total waste of time and money.

Thanks, I think I'm going to feel the same way about the diminishing returns thing. There are definitely a few places I really think I'd have a hard time saying yes to, even if it was a great school (Deep South, I'm looking at you).

I was I had 15 schools that were good fits. I have a hard time finding more than 4 that are really good fits...I guess my interests are pretty specific, but it is still kinda daunting :/

Guest joshw4288

Agree with this. Do not apply to schools unless you will accept if that is your only offer. 

I'm a psych/bio/neuro combo due to how the neuroscience program is set up at the university I am applying to. Basically, the Neuroscience program is an add-on to the main program. Since my POI has appointments in biology and psychology, I am applying to both.

Basically, I've done most of my research on schools that fit my research interests, e-mailed the professors, and am finding that most are not accepting new students for 2015 or, in one case, cannot fund me. I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, but I'm trying my best to ensure that I get into the only school that I apply for.

I am actually in Toronto and just started researching for one of the POI's grad students. Despite everything that has happened (lost my purse on the bus on my way to U of T) I am pretty happy with my decision to apply here.

I plan to take the GRE either here later in the summer or back in the States in early fall. It really depends if public transportation will suffice to get me there in Toronto.

I have a draft of my SOP for both programs, updated my CV recently..I guess there isn't much else I can do right now.

I am trying to figure when to contact POI's to ask if they'd be taking new students. I know that my PI at my current lab doesn't know if he'd have funding for 2015, so I figure most others wouldn't either. I have read that a lot of people contact their POIs around late summer to ask...but it seems that a lot of 2015 applicants have already asked.

I am trying to figure when to contact POI's to ask if they'd be taking new students. I know that my PI at my current lab doesn't know if he'd have funding for 2015, so I figure most others wouldn't either. I have read that a lot of people contact their POIs around late summer to ask...but it seems that a lot of 2015 applicants have already asked.

I've been talking to some. The vibe I get is that it is still early. Probably late summer early fall is a good time frame. Some have gone as far to contact me back and say talk to them again in late August.

Edited by KW58D

I have been contacting professors for about half a year now, so don't mind me, being the odd one out (: I'm glad I started contacting early, though. I was able to establish a positive connection with the POI and was given a great opportunity.

My research interests are extremely specific (epigenetic mechanisms in caged stereotypies) so there weren't a lot of professors to contact after screening the website for potential fit. Of course, I'm sure I haven't found all of them...

I've had the most success with Canadian schools, for some reason, in terms of getting a reply.

Anyone applying for Developmental, Social, or Cognitive programs =)? I want to study divergent thinking, creative problem-solving, and psychosocial factors affecting educational outcomes, which lands me with promising-looking faculty in all three programs (plus education)! I think it is smart to start writing SOP now as clinicalpsychphd20 mentioned, especially if my application period is going to cut across all three areas...

I heard it is better to wait a little bit into the summer to start contacting faculty, so they have down time to respond but you are still fresh in their mind. Has anyone else heard this?

Hi everyone! Glad our time has finally come :-) I feel as if I've been ready for a while, since I made the decision to put myself through this at the end of my freshman year, and ever since then I've been actively seeking advice and preparing. The one thing I'm probably behind on is GREs because every time I open a book or online program I get really sleepy ;-) I'm hoping this week is the week I finally get a set studying schedule down and stick to it.

I'll be applying to social/health PhD programs (promotion and prevention) and I'm excited. I have a solid list of 15 or so with good matches, but my SO is trying to negotiate with me regarding location. If any cuts are made later on, that would be the reason, but, we've tabled the topic for the time being thank goodness. Anyways, if anyone thinks they are applying to similar programs, let me know!

I've been talking to some. The vibe I get is that it is still early. Probably late summer early fall is a good time frame. Some have gone as far to contact me back and say talk to them again in late August.

Contact PIs when you are ready to start tailoring applications to each particular school. The later you contact PIs the better, as they will be more certain on whether they will end up taking grad students or not (I contacted several in June and they told me that they were taking students, and I later found out after applications were submitted that a couple of them ended up deciding not to take a student last minute!). But at the same time, you want to give yourself enough time to write good statements for each particular school.

I'm applying in the fall as well! Are there any undergrads here tho? I feel like undergrads are relatively disadvantaged in the pool given that they usually have less research experience and less focused interests that are what most programs are looking for. But I will check the website very often during application season and discuss with you guys about the progress! 

By the way, I'm applying to mostly psycholingustics programs but also some cog psych/developmental psych programs. I'd be happy to chat with whoever shares the same interests!

I am returning to the applications scene after a 2-year hiatus, during which I worked in a cog neuroscience lab (presented 4 posters in the meantime, putting finishing touches on 2 manuscripts for submission) and also worked as an academic editor for second-language English speakers looking to submit to international journals. Really hoping this strengthens my profile!

My big lesson learned last time was that, by probability alone, you're probably not going to get in unless 1) you have an exceptional profile/exceptional fit and 2) you get lucky, given the sheer volume of applicants. To combat this, obviously top-notch GRE scores and casting a wide net are two ways to strengthen your chances. GRE scores might not be a huge factor, but they're a filter. I did great on verbal and writing (92nd and 95th percentiles, respectively) but awful on the Q (60th percentile), as I just didn't take it seriously enough. Don't let something stupid like the GREs keep you from being accepted! 

And as long as you don't have unbelievably narrow research interests, you have to be open to several schools, even significant relocation. Unfortunately, that's the reality of the admissions process these days. When I applied, the programs I was interested in had 300-400 applicants for 10-15 positions. This year, looking around, it was commonplace to have 600+ applicants for the same number of positions. 

Edited by Tolman's Rat

I'm applying in the fall as well! Are there any undergrads here tho? I feel like undergrads are relatively disadvantaged in the pool given that they usually have less research experience and less focused interests that are what most programs are looking for. But I will check the website very often during application season and discuss with you guys about the progress! 

By the way, I'm applying to mostly psycholingustics programs but also some cog psych/developmental psych programs. I'd be happy to chat with whoever shares the same interests!

My work recently has been in cognitive neurolinguistics (effects of semantic transparency on processing of compound words), and I'll be looking to apply to programs that offer similar opportunities. So, hello, competition!

I'm an undergrad! I have some solid research experience (imo) and have had my interests nailed down for a while. Hoping this helps me.

Edited by VulpesZerda