APSIA Schools for Practicioners

Greetings Everyone,

I've just started research for the 2015 application cycle. I am looking into MIA/MA/MPP programs focused on humanitarian emergencies, relief, and refugees. I am a mid-20s returned Peace Corps volunteer, have a strong academic record from no-name state university, speak French, Spanish, and Fula, have two journal publications, and some university research experience. Based on my background, I don't believe I am right for mid-career programs. My dream job would be working in the field in post-conflict situations and with refugee. I would like to stay away from DC-based jobs, think tanks, or policy oriented work until later in my career.

That being said, which APSIA member schools should I look more closely at?
<www.apsia.org/member-schools/>
Which have programs oriented more towards practicioners and field work and less toward think tank and academic tracks?

Any insights on the state of the post-conflict/refugee/humanitarian relief job world would be appreciated. What sort of degree is going to get me where I want?

Thanks in Advance

Honestly, the best thing to do is just to go through the websites of the APSIA member schools and see which schools offer strong programs in your field of interest.  Don't just look at the specialization, but do they have research centers that interest you? Do they sponsor publications/journals on refugee/humanitarian problems? Do they have Faculty members you recognize from your own research in the field?   Another good idea is to go to the websites of some organizations where you could imagine yourself working and read the bios of the people there. What schools did they go to and what did they study? 

Speaking generally, MPP/MPAs are more professionally oriented; MAs tend to be more focused on research.  But some schools have their own specialized degrees (like the MALD at Fletcher, the MIA at Columbia, and the MSFS at Georgetown), which are still professionally oriented. Whatever the degrees are called, in most cases the programs are really about 95% similar, so don't get too hung up on the specific letters.  It's really about the curriculum and support that you want.