Different major in grad school from undergrad?

Flux2

Is it a disadvantage to pursue in a different major in grad school?

I've noticed that there are some researches where all different disciplines come together, and I was wondering if this is the case will it be just better to pursue the same major done in undergrad to become more professional with it.

I'm interested in developing biomedical sensors and I'm currently pursuing in physics/biology as an undergrad degree but I've noticed that most of the relevant labs are associated with mechanical engineering and biomedical engineering. And I really wish that I could make the most out of my undergrad degree during grad school..

So does the major you pursue in grad school matter a lot?

It matters, but it's less of a disadvantage than I originally thought. I majored in Environmental Chemistry and was accepted to multiple Materials Science graduate programs. I've spoken with a professor who says that many MatSci students have chemistry backgrounds, and therefore it is not a major disadvantage since there is a natural connection between chemistry and materials science. I see a natural connection between biology/physics to biomedical engineering (but that's just my opinion). Graduate programs might require for you to take pre-requisite courses to make up for any gaps in your undergraduate education, but this is not uncommon.

One caveat: I only applied to MS programs, no PhD programs. I'm not interested in obtaining a PhD, but I also do not believe I would have been accepted to any PhD programs (at least not at any top 30 schools).

In my opinion and experience, majoring in a related but more "basic" (as opposed to applied) science and then moving into an applied science has some big advantages. I majored in math as an undergrad and am working on a bioinformatics MS now. From here I plan on getting a PhD in biophysics. Another example is a friend who majored in chemistry and then moved into atmospheric science. The reason why this can be an advatage is that a degree in something like biomed engineering (or bioinformatics, in my case) is not going to give you a really strong foundation in math, physics, chemistry, or biology. It is an interdisciplinary area and will give you a bit of coursework in all of those areas. This is great too but I have found that having a really strong background in a particular science (math for me) allows me to understand concepts in depth that most people in program dont understand since they have only taken calculus/differential equations. I don't think going this route vs majoring in biomed engineering from the beginning is better or worse but it does give you an interesting/related but different background than the average candidate which has been SO incredibly beneficial for me.

The one peice of advice I have as someone also in an applied bio related sort of field is to NOT major in biology. As an undergrad, I recommend picking up the skills that are the most difficult and important to understand in your field. To do applied bio work, you truely do not need a full degree worth of biology, you only need a couple classes on the type of biology that is relevent to your particular area. All of the students with biology majors in my program are majorly struggling because alot of their knowedge is completely irrelevent. You would be wasting classes learning about plants and random stuff that you will not use later. Instead, I would major in physics and biochemistry. I really strongly recommend focussing on chemistry or biochemistry instead of biology. You will still take some biology classes which will show your apptitude but along with it you will pick up biochmistry and chemistry knowedge that will be very useful. I am saying this as someone who really wishes that I had double majored with biochemistry!

Also, regardless of what you decide to major in, make sure you do research in the subfield that you want to pursue later.

Edited by bsharpe269