how is the Geology program at Oklahoma State U? no ranking form USnews!

wwzzxx

I have scanned the faculty information from the website and feel that it has stronger geology program compared with some universities ranked at USnews' earthsciences-devision regarding to the faculty amount, the funded research projects and so on. Thus I am confused and do not know whether it deserves to be applied for.

Rankings do not matter for industry.  They have some oil funding, but not as much academic funding. The research isn't what I would call diverse, but really the rankings dont really matter. Find someone doing something you like, talk to them, and build a great project. Thats really all that matters. If you think you can do that there, then it's worth applying. I understand  that it is easy to place importance on rankings, but there are more jobs than there are good, qualified oil researchers.

If you plan on going into academia, the same thing applies, though ranking might matter a bit more. I probably would only do an MS there and try to go to a more academic slanted department for my PhD.

Advisor is like 85% of what will make sure your graduate school experience is good if you are doing research. If you arent, you will have a tough time finding a job.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Rankings do not matter for industry.  They have some oil funding, but not as much academic funding. The research isn't what I would call diverse, but really the rankings dont really matter. Find someone doing something you like, talk to them, and build a great project. Thats really all that matters. If you think you can do that there, then it's worth applying. I understand  that it is easy to place importance on rankings, but there are more jobs than there are good, qualified oil researchers.

If you plan on going into academia, the same thing applies, though ranking might matter a bit more. I probably would only do an MS there and try to go to a more academic slanted department for my PhD.

Advisor is like 85% of what will make sure your graduate school experience is good if you are doing research. If you arent, you will have a tough time finding a job.

As you said, if the professors there could get some oil funding from the oil industry, I could believe the oil companies would hire the petroleum-geology students from OSU hopefully. I don't care whether there is academic funding, because my career plan is industry-oriented.

And I totally agree the advisor matters the most if you pursue a PHD degree.

I have spoken with three professors there (Grammar, Puckette, Pashin) and visited on my own. I like what opportunities they have and it seems their students get hired on at companies such as Devon energy.

I have spoken with three professors there (Grammar, Puckette, Pashin) and visited on my own. I like what opportunities they have and it seems their students get hired on at companies such as Devon energy.

I noticed that, for instance, Dr. Grammar's title is "Chesapeake Energy Chair of Petroleum Geology". It seems that this oil company really highly recognizes him.

And is your major also petroleum geology? Which university are you attending now?