Sociology and Policy

bpm14

I'm thinking of applying to soc programs for the fall of 15 and have started to look a bit at programs. I applied and didn't get in anywhere a 3 years ago and I figured I would give it one more shot. I know I probably need to retake the GRE.

I took the old GRE and my converted scores are 157 V and 150 Q. I had an undergrad GPA 3.6 and major 3.8 in soc. I also majored in political science. Should I retake the GRE?

For the past 3 years I've been in a successful charter school working with low income, first generation college students. 

I've looked at a few joint PhD programs in sociology and public policy; Michigan is one that I think I would be a good fit. Any other ideas about programs like this? I want to study education inequality and black male identity. 

Harvard and Princeton both have joint programs in sociology and social policy.  The programs are very small and incredibly selective, so you probably need to re-take the GRE if you want a better shot at admission to one of them.  I applied to these both last year (and didn't get in), and I really don't know of any other less competitive joint programs.  I think a much "safer" option is to apply to straight sociology or social policy programs with an emphasis in education, where you'd have access to faculty in the other department, as well.  Either way, I'd study hard for the GRE and retake it - especially if this is your "last shot" at PhD apps.  Good luck to you!  :)

Social policy programs are relatively rare in the US, so you might try looking at other countries. I'm going to be studying Social Policy in the UK, but I know that in the US a lot of people didn't even know that was an option for a PhD.

You might want to retake the GRE for a slightly higher score, but your experience should help you out on your application.  Your work experience is strong! What's your research experience like?  =) That could also help beef up your application!

Thank you all for the feedback! It is very helpful. Gingin, I don't have much research experience. I did complete an honors thesis in undergrad and conducted qualitative research though. The project took about 6 months and I ended up doing about 15 interviews.

Thank you all for the feedback! It is very helpful. Gingin, I don't have much research experience. I did complete an honors thesis in undergrad and conducted qualitative research though. The project took about 6 months and I ended up doing about 15 interviews.

I would mention that in your SOP and use it as your writing sample, perhaps.  Any solid research experience, especially qualitative work such as interviews, can only help your application!  

• 1 month later...

I need some advice here too. I have done my Masters in Public Administration with 3.8 gpa. My GRE is kinda low Q 152 V 152 AW 3.5. I have one publication. As for my work experience I have been teaching undergraduate students as visiting faculty in various universities here in Pakistan since the last three years. since I don't have public experience but a lot of experience of teaching and social work I plan to switch to social policy. I NEED to get into a fully funded reputed program. Reason, well this year I got into UTDallas's PhD program with partial funding but the embassy denied me visa because my parents and siblings are US citizens.

What do you guys suggest ? I study hard for GRE and hope to get into a very good program OR forget about US and focus on Uk or Australia. Problem with schools outside US is they don't have funding and I can't afford to pay the huge fee they charge.