Part-time MPP programs in D.C.? Are they worth the debt?

BJT

Hey all,

Doing an MPP has been in the back of my mind for a while but I haven't started the process of applying just yet. The earliest I would shoot for is Fall of 2015. As I think everything through, I'd appreciate some feedback from you all about financing the degree.

I'm in D.C. and for the most part, I'm quite satisfied with my career. I've bounced back and forth between Capitol Hill and the campaign side of politics in the two years since I've graduated and I enjoy my work. I've established a good professional network here so my interest in an MPP has everything to do with beefing up my skill set and nothing to do with networking (If I could do undergrad all over again, I definitely would have taken some econ, math and maybe even some business classes..I was a Government/PoliSci major and most of my electives were in other liberal arts disciplines). For this reason, I'm very interested in policy programs that have a strong quant curriculum and to prepare, I plan on taking some elementary econ classes on my own. 

Since I have a pretty good network here in D.C., the thought of dropping out of the workforce to become a full time student and part time intern does not really appeal to me. I'd love to just do the coursework at night while I continue to work full time.

The problem with this plan is the astronomical amount of money that I'd have to borrow to pay tuition at places like Georgetown (mid 80s total) and to a lesser extent, GWU and American (55-60ish).  I don't make a ton of money now (I probably make a little bit less than the average 24 year old in Washington) and an MPP would give me access to higher paying positions that I'm not eligible for right now. With that said, these types of jobs wouldn't make me rich and the 60-70k salaries that they offer would be tough to keep up with 60k-90k in loans. 

I should add that I was not a legislative staffer on the Hill. It was a great gig but I was not responsible in any way for directly or indirectly advising my boss on policy. The work I've done in my campaign and advocacy jobs has actually involved more substantive day-to-day work. While I like what I do, ultimately, I'd like to either work for a federal agency or a consulting firm that does business with public sector clients and an MPP would definitely put me on this path. 

Should I just forget about this part-time plan and be thankful for having a career I enjoy? Would it be worth looking into full time programs and shooting for funding? I had just over a 3.5 GPA in undergrad and while I realize that that's nothing to feel embarrassed about, I have a hard time thinking that I'd be competitive for a significant amount of funding at a decent program (or at least an amount that, when taking living expenses into account, would ultimately cost less than the part-time programs I mentioned).

Anyways, this ended up much longer than I had intended so I appreciate anyone who is still reading and thanks in advance for the feedback!

Edited by BJT

In my opinion, part time programs are only really worth it if they're comparatively cheaper, if you're getting your employer to pay part of the bill, or if there's some really compelling personal reason why you can't go back to school full time (i.e., you have a family to support and uprooting your life isn't realistic).  One other reason might be if you're trying to completely change careers, and you want to keep your current job in case your chosen career path doesn't work out.  I know for example, people who work in the tourism sector in DC who want to switch to something more academic, and have done part time masters in their desired field while continuing their tourism job.  Though as a note of caution it doesn't seem to have yet helped them make the transition they're seeking. 

Otherwise, it doesn't seem like you'll gain much benefit from a part time program, especially if you're already working in your field of choice.  You've worked on campaigns and on the Hill so you know that experience, judgement, and reliability are real prizes in DC worth probably more than any advanced degree. At your age and stage of career, if you have a reputation for those qualities, you can still have a lot of career growth in DC before you hit the "Masters Degree Ceiling."    If you're not ready to go back to school full time, then rather than try for a part time program, why not just wait a few years and see how you feel then?   There's no rush, grad school will always be there.  

I had a lot of the same anxieties as you vis a vis grad school.  I have a good career in DC that I love, a strong network of contacts that I worried about losing touch with, and frankly, I enjoy working and wasn't sure I was ready to give up a steady paycheck for a graduate program.  I was really ambivalent for a long time about going back to school, so I waited.  By the time I actually start my grad program, It will be six years since I graduated with my BA (I don't know where the time went!).   I don't regret waiting, I think my experience helped me in a lot of ways.  I got into all the schools that I applied to, and even though my GRE quant scores and quantitative background were not the best, I got generous merit aid packages at most of my schools. But beyond that, it's only now that I'm several years out from undergrad that I feel a) ready to go back to the academic life and b ) poised to get the most out of my two year program.  I'll miss DC, but I'm ready to immerse myself in a new experience.  And I plan to take full advantage of my chosen program's financial resources to get back to DC a few times a semester and keep in touch with my contacts. 

Edited by Gov2School

That's all great advice and I appreciate the thoughtful response. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you!

Since you've also been in D.C., do you know much about the American and GWU MPP programs? They're very, very expensive but might be doable for me on a part-time basis  (unlike Georgetown, which is simply insane). Depending on savings, my (very) modest investments and some possible help from family (emphasis on possible--this is nowhere near a guarantee or something I can plan for), my loan burden could end up being a little more manageable. Trust me, I hear what you're saying about these part-time degrees and I'm coming around to your perspective on them. With that said, I could see myself hitting that "masters degree ceiling" in a big way but wanting to hedge by holding onto my current job in case things don't work out (much like your tourism friends). While I am in the broader politics/policy arena, it'd be tough for me to get the kinds of technical policy jobs that I want without going back to school. It's hard to describe what my current work entails but it's much closer to communications/PR type-stuff than actual policy (not trying to bore you with a full biography, just some details to give you some insight into my train of thought here).

Do you eventually want to come back to D.C.? If I were to move elsewhere for a full time program, I think I would ultimately want to come back (although I realize a lot can change in the coming years) and I'd be interested in programs that have a good pipeline to the District. 

Thanks again for the great advice and all the best to you as you begin grad school!

Yes, I plan to come back, though I'm looking forward to a change of pace for a few years.  I have a pretty good sense of the lay of the land in DC, so I didn't feel like I needed a DC program to get that "DC experience."  I think it will be interesting to study elsewhere and get a new perspective on the city.  

All of the "top"  programs (and I use that term very loosely) have good pipelines to DC, and like most things I imagine you get out what you put into it. No matter where you go, if you put the right pieces in place (cultivate and expand your network, get a good internship, take advantage of DC oriented trips and sessions offered by the program, etc.), you'll have a good chance of success. And I do believe that even if you go to a big name program, but don't put some intentional thought and strategy into how to use your experience, you may still struggle to get to the next step.  

I don't have any insights on the GWU or American programs specifically.  I had a friend who did the part time communications program at GW (her employer contributed towards this, which made it a great perk) and enjoyed it. I know the Georgetown MPP program is really new. If you're already in DC, you might just want to go and visit the schools, or email them and see if they can set you up with current part time students that you can talk to about their experiences attending part time. It's also worth talking to your supervisors and colleagues who have Masters Degrees about their experiences and advice. If you know people who have the kind of job you're aiming for, who would be willing to talk to you about their path, that's always a good perspective as well. 

Edited by Gov2School

Thanks, I have a few colleagues and friends who went to both American and Trachtenberg (some full-time with funding, some part-time without) and they have very mixed things to say. I was just trying to get another perspective if you had one and appreciate what you have to say.

Thanks again for chiming in and the very best to you!

• 2 weeks later...