Fall 2015 Applicants

Nice reads y'all. The numbers game is hard- I'm only applying to 4 programs and I had a faculty at my MA seriously tell me that was only half as many as a should apply to if I'm serious abt this. But, as I'm super broke, its just not an option this year at least. On the other hand, I had a different prof. tell me anything more than 5 made her skeptical students had spend enough time evaluating fit. So, 6 one was 1/2 dozen the other.

I only applied to four and was accepted to three of them. I think you're fine really. I was in the same situation, broke. However, since I could only apply to four, I made sure they were the best fit for me and I put all my effort into making contact and submitting an excellent application. Best of luck!

I only applied to four and was accepted to three of them. I think you're fine really. I was in the same situation, broke. However, since I could only apply to four, I made sure they were the best fit for me and I put all my effort into making contact and submitting an excellent application. Best of luck!

Indeed, I think more than 4-5 programs is a lot. I'd also vote for putting all your effort into 4-5 that are a perfect fit for you. More time spent corresponding with POIs, fine-tuning research proposals, having intellectual email exchanges with others in the department, talking to students about the department and less time on trying to apply to as many programs as you can fit in. But that's just my strategy.

Mine too. There are a few people in my program who sent out a raft of 7 or 8 applications, but most focused their efforts on 4 or so and it paid off for them. Fit should absolutely be your main focus--and your SOP should be geared toward helping the faculty see why that program is a good fit for you and vice-versa.

@joynow your topic does sound fascinating. why just those two programs? its one thing to have financial or time constraints, but another if you are psyching yourself out. go whole hog, I say! a somewhat nonlinear journey to grad studies can definitely be a point of strength. 

Thanks trogdor!

Greetings from Egypt! I just left Cairo and am on a train to Aswan. I've taken in your feedback about applying to more programs. I may try to apply to 2 more, to make 4, but I'm not sure what those will be and I think its a wee late in the game to add more.

The reason I only wanted to apply to 2 programs is because my research topic is so specific that I didn't see many schools with professors whose interests match mine. Also because finances are limited, I really want to only apply to schools that truly seem right for me.

Re: book. Yes! Read tThe Warmth of Other Suns! Anyone have any good travel reads to suggest?

Also I'm keeping a travel blog if you're interested:

truthandtravel.wordpress.com

And there will be one dedicated solely to my research as well.

Travel reads:

Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari (apropos)

Salman Rushdie, Satanic Verses

David Graeber, Debt: The First 5,000 Years

All suitably long and capable of holding your attention. Robert Kaplan is an interesting author to read on the road but he's a bit of a jingoist so he's not for everybody.

Thanks trogdor!

Greetings from Egypt! I just left Cairo and am on a train to Aswan. I've taken in your feedback about applying to more programs. I may try to apply to 2 more, to make 4, but I'm not sure what those will be and I think its a wee late in the game to add more.

The reason I only wanted to apply to 2 programs is because my research topic is so specific that I didn't see many schools with professors whose interests match mine. Also because finances are limited, I really want to only apply to schools that truly seem right for me.

Re: book. Yes! Read tThe Warmth of Other Suns! Anyone have any good travel reads to suggest?

Also I'm keeping a travel blog if you're interested:

truthandtravel.wordpress.com

And there will be one dedicated solely to my research as well.

Your POI's research doesn't have to match yours exactly.  Sometimes just as long as they study within the same region of interest or maybe the same topic but different region then that'll be fine as well.  Just look around for professors that study around the same topics that you want to.

oman. has anyone else suffered the absolute terror of talking to faculty via phone? i think it almost took the life right out of me.

I was nervous at first but overall I was chill.  I was drinking beer at the time.  

I only did phone conversations with one of my potential supervisors. It was ok, but I really preferred the email conversations, learned so much more. But I would advise everyone to make sure that once you get offers you spend at least 30 minutes -1 hour talking to your potential supervisor - and do it TWICE. You can find out really fast if you'll be able to ask questions, and get great answers, or if they won't even let you get a word in edgewise. Some people can come across great by email and well, not so great in person! Phone usually demonstrates this.

also smg how did the convo go? I feel like I have no real way to gauge what happened except they weren't like SCREW YOU DUMMY or PLZ B MY STUDENT. anything in between is too subtle for me I'm afraid. 

I feel like it went really well.  We talked research and laughed at Californians.  I'm the first potential graduate student to ask about his main research interest  which seemed to be greatly appreciated.  I'm also guessing that it went well since I'm older (in my 30s) and he is a younger faculty member (mid 30s or early 40s tops).  We've exchanged a few emails since then.  

I feel like it went really well.  We talked research and laughed at Californians.  I'm the first potential graduate student to ask about his main research interest  which seemed to be greatly appreciated.  I'm also guessing that it went well since I'm older (in my 30s) and he is a younger faculty member (mid 30s or early 40s tops).  We've exchanged a few emails since then.  

that is dope. the faculty I spoke with is in between projects so maybe that, in part, kept us from jamming but I did get some encouragement to contact more established people in the dept. and some good info about the program as a whole. So, I will take it as a win, or at least not a loss.

sort of related- have you settled on a final list of programs to apply to? 

On 11/4/2014 at 2:52 PM, trogdorburninator said:

that is dope. the faculty I spoke with is in between projects so maybe that, in part, kept us from jamming but I did get some encouragement to contact more established people in the dept. and some good info about the program as a whole. So, I will take it as a win, or at least not a loss.

sort of related- have you settled on a final list of programs to apply to? 

99.9% sure I'm applying to 4.  UCSB, UChicago, UCDavis, WUSTL.  2 public, 2 private.  

On 11/4/2014 at 3:07 PM, smg said:

99.9% sure I'm applying to 4.  UCSB, UChicago, UCDavis, WUSTL.  2 public, 2 private.  

cool. lmk if you have q's re: chicago that are unspecific to the anthro dept. thats where I did my social work MA and my partner is in a phd program there. 

After initially making a giant list of over 25 schools (including media studies, STS and communications programs) I have whittled my list down to 10 programs (9 anthropology, 1 STS).  I've reached out to at least 3 faculty members at 9 of the schools (30+ faculty total), and have already had 2 in-person meetings with POIs, one of whom helpfully proofed my SOP.  Another POI asked to see my MA thesis. 

Last year I applied to 7 programs, reached out to only about 5 POIs and had no in-person meetings with anyone. I got in nowhere.

I'm hoping this strategy will work out better. I'm already feeling a lot more confident and less nervous than during my first application cycle, despite finding that this topic (very different from last time) is not easy to frame as being a "nice fit" for most places.

I also have already cut down my thesis from 50+ pages to writing sample length (25 pages not including works cited), and locked-in my letter writers. I sent my GRE scores and transcripts to places that request official or hard copies. Still need to update my CV and configure my SOP for each program, but otherwise well on my way.

I have hit some snags: it seems like funding overall for my area is in decline, I fit best with a program in a geographic location that isn't personally feasible and my #1 choice POI is probably leaving their department, sooooooooooo

Is 10 programs enough? I am limited to a geographic region and there are a few programs I am not applying to, as well as cities I haven't considered despite being doable-ish.  For example, I have nothing in DC on my list and am not applying to BU or Harvard (I don't think I'm a great fit for either).

How is your process going? Where are you at? How are you feeling?

After initially making a giant list of over 25 schools (including media studies, STS and communications programs) I have whittled my list down to 10 programs (9 anthropology, 1 STS).  I've reached out to at least 3 faculty members at 9 of the schools (30+ faculty total), and have already had 2 in-person meetings with POIs, one of whom helpfully proofed my SOP.  Another POI asked to see my MA thesis. 

Last year I applied to 7 programs, reached out to only about 5 POIs and had no in-person meetings with anyone. I got in nowhere.

I'm hoping this strategy will work out better. I'm already feeling a lot more confident and less nervous than during my first application cycle, despite finding that this topic (very different from last time) is not easy to frame as being a "nice fit" for most places.

I also have already cut down my thesis from 50+ pages to writing sample length (25 pages not including works cited), and locked-in my letter writers. I sent my GRE scores and transcripts to places that request official or hard copies. Still need to update my CV and configure my SOP for each program, but otherwise well on my way.

I have hit some snags: it seems like funding overall for my area is in decline, I fit best with a program in a geographic location that isn't personally feasible and my #1 choice POI is probably leaving their department, sooooooooooo

Is 10 programs enough? I am limited to a geographic region and there are a few programs I am not applying to, as well as cities I haven't considered despite being doable-ish.  For example, I have nothing in DC on my list and am not applying to BU or Harvard (I don't think I'm a great fit for either).

How is your process going? Where are you at? How are you feeling?

10 Wow!  I found 4 that fit.  I'm sure I could find one or two more programs if I really wanted too.   3 out of 4 are theory heavy Anthro departments which is great and the one that isn't has a PhD emphasis that will allow me to take theory courses outside the department.  

I just finished my first SOP and am feeling pretty good about it. 

Where are you applying?  Are you considering UCDavis they have an STS emphasis that looks cool.   

I keep reexamining programs and revising my list.  I'm now at 5 definite programs and 4 maybes.  Since 2 of the 5 don't guarantee funding with acceptance, I'll probably aim for 7, but we'll see.  I'm constantly changing my mind about where I'd rather go.  I think 10 is plenty, and I wouldn't worry about considering programs just because their location is doable.  However, have you looked at MIT, UMass, Brandeis, etc?  There are more than 2 schools in the Boston area with anthropology PhD programs.  

I'm working on my application for the Ford Foundation, and the research plan part of that has been hard!  I've also completely changed my approach to statements of purpose 3 times now.  Hopefully I've struck a good balance now.  My writing samples are done, my applications are started, and I'm waiting to hear back from a few POIs.

I bounce between feeling like I'm going to get several offers and feeling like everyone's going to laugh at me.  I feel both like I need more time and want to get this over with.

I keep reexamining programs and revising my list.  I'm now at 5 definite programs and 4 maybes.  Since 2 of the 5 don't guarantee funding with acceptance, I'll probably aim for 7, but we'll see.  I'm constantly changing my mind about where I'd rather go.  I think 10 is plenty, and I wouldn't worry about considering programs just because their location is doable.  However, have you looked at MIT, UMass, Brandeis, etc?  There are more than 2 schools in the Boston area with anthropology PhD programs.  

I'm working on my application for the Ford Foundation, and the research plan part of that has been hard!  I've also completely changed my approach to statements of purpose 3 times now.  Hopefully I've struck a good balance now.  My writing samples are done, my applications are started, and I'm waiting to hear back from a few POIs.

I bounce between feeling like I'm going to get several offers and feeling like everyone's going to laugh at me.  I feel both like I need more time and want to get this over with.

Why apply if they don't guarantee funding?  It might make more sense to put the energy into apps for places with $$$.  

Why apply if they don't guarantee funding?  It might make more sense to put the energy into apps for places with $$$.  

Because Berkeley.  And Oregon (which doesn't guarantee, but overall has a good funding record) actually has 2 professors that are a great match for me, although they are admittedly weak overall on the Middle East.  They actually want you to get a professor on board with your project before applying, and one of them asked for my CV and MA dissertation a little over a week ago.  If she's not into my project, then they'll be off the list.

I did speak to one person @berkeley recently who told me they (in anthro at least) really do only admit who they can fund for 5yrs. It might not be fellowships but I'm hoping that's the truth! Maybe we should keep that secret tho, cut down the competition?

Where are you applying?  Are you considering UCDavis they have an STS emphasis that looks cool.   

However, have you looked at MIT, UMass, Brandeis, etc?  There are more than 2 schools in the Boston area with anthropology PhD programs.  

I think I'm going to keep my list of 10 a bit quiet until I know where I am at (it was too depressing last year when I just kept crossing things off after putting them out there!) but I'm very aware of programs pretty much anywhere in the northeast.  I just can see when I'm obviously not going to be a fit (like I said, BU, Harvard, but also Princeton, Temple...). If you are super curious it probably isn't that hard to guess, or you can PM me.

I have another question or two for the crowd -- where are you at with your SOP and theory? I had a couple professors tell me the SOP was great, but another that it seemed like it wasn't yet fully theorized; however, that professor comes from critical media studies, and the others anthropology...I have nods to other fundamental studies on my topics, I mention some theory (from my MA thesis) but haven't devoted space to it otherwise. Seems odd unless it's a big part of your orientation, right? Like, I'm not here for continuing my work on ontology, so I didn't elaborate.

Secondly, are you going over a lot of what is included in your CV + transcripts in your SOP? Last year I used a lot of SOP space to explain why I was qualified for graduate study in anthropology (talking about courses, professors I'd already worked with) and I struck out, so haven't done much of that this year besides mention my MA work, my thesis adviser (prominent in my field), and how that project connects to proposed PhD work.  I've so far left out my teaching and professional experience (R1 research)...maybe that is a mistake? 1,000 words is not a lot of words!

tl;dr are you including a lot of theory in your SOP? Are you reiterating a lot of stuff from your CV + transcripts in your SOP? Thoughts?

Off topic, but a POI elsewhere warned me about the $$$ at Berkeley - even if they do fund you, I was discouraged from applying because of an "unreasonably low" stipend.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW