Fall 2015 Applicants

Thanks!  I'm, um....weird...so I'm hoping there's a program that is more open to an applicant who doesn't fit into their traditional boxes, but we'll see.

We are all weird in one way or another; I'm sure you belong somewhere.  

Thanks!  I'm, um....weird...so I'm hoping there's a program that is more open to an applicant who doesn't fit into their traditional boxes, but we'll see.

trying to spin yourself and your story so it fits a department can definitely be a struggle. I had a LOT of insecurity coming from interdisciplinary-gradeless undergrad followed by professional-not-specialized-in-what-I-wanna-study- program, and clearly a ton of it (for me) had to do with finding the right place! Don't know if this is round one for you, or if you're possibly going around again next year, but it can really be hard to find your intellectual home. 

Ok, I am honestly getting annoyed with Columbia now! Are they doing rejections in batches or something? When I log in it sill just says 'application submitted'. And I am fully aware that those accepted have been informed and that I am probably out but whyyyyyyhyhyhyyyy won't they just tell me that??? 

Ok, whiny rant over!

Edited by snowswirl

Ok, I am honestly getting annoyed with Columbia now! Are they doing rejections in batches or something? When I log in it sill just says 'application submitted'. And I am fully aware that those accepted have been informed and that I am probably out but whyyyyyyhyhyhyyyy won't they just tell me that??? 

Ok, whiny rant over!

I'm in the same situation and I second your frustration. It is clearly a rejection but it is rather odd that they would let some people know more than a week apart from others that they have been unsuccessful.

I'm in the same situation and I second your frustration. It is clearly a rejection but it is rather odd that they would let some people know more than a week apart from others that they have been unsuccessful.

Well, I guess what would be the fun of being Columbia if not to mess with people's heads!

Ok, whiny rant over!

I third the frustration. It's so weird and annoying and just mean. 

Hi, long time lurker here. I was kind of hoping to introduce myself by claiming an acceptance - that didn't happen (well, I could claim a Cornell waitlist).

I came to fourth the frustration. I also have not heard anything from Columbia.

But CUNY also did not bother to send me my rejection, so, perhaps it's just me. 

Hi, long time lurker here. I was kind of hoping to introduce myself by claiming an acceptance - that didn't happen (well, I could claim a Cornell waitlist).

I came to fourth the frustration. I also have not heard anything from Columbia.

But CUNY also did not bother to send me my rejection, so, perhaps it's just me. 

Officially fifthing the frustration. Neither CUNY nor Columbia have officially rejected me and it is so annoying at this point! I've already crossed them off my list but somewhere deep inside this non-rejection is allowing me to maintain a tiny inkling of misplaced hope -.-

Looking back on the results history for Columbia, it seems like this is their usual pattern. A smattering of acceptances and rejections in late Feb, a couple more acceptances early March, and then a pile of rejections on the 11th or 12th. I'm already planning to just go camping or something on those two days. I'd rather not wait around all day for that ominous and inevitable 'ping' inbox sound to arrive.

Seems unnecessarily cruel and unusual.

Speaking of that, and of schools taking their sweet damn time, my POI at Ohio State said that official decisions are being made tomorrow, with letters going out the next week. I frankly plan to ask what my status is as of Thursday, because it's bloody MARCH.

Edited by FaultyPowers

Thanks guys! I'm doubly in shock given that I only applied to MA programs - I really wasn't expecting to get full funding anywhere. VT is definitely looking like a pretty strong option now, especially since they are the only program where I won't have to pay out of pocket. Their program will probably prepare me better than most others for a PhD, but I don't know much about Blacksburg and I've already made some strong connections with the faculty at KU, so it will be a tough call. I'll wait and see if I get any other offers before making a decisions, of course.

For now I'm just going to enjoy having options! :D

Congrats! I'm an undergrad at KU. Can I ask who you might be working with? I could provide feedback If you'd like. Feel free to pm me.

Has anyone heard from UPenn, Virginia, or Boston?  I'm seeing nothing at all in the results search.  It's so late ...  makes me wonder what could be going on!  Funding issues?  

I just emailed my POI who said that she's sure the adcom will reach out soon.

Dumb question for everyone:

I am almost certainly going to accept Virginia Tech's offer - it's a great program that will prepare me well for PhD apps in a couple years, and they are the only funded offer I have received so far.  It would take a fully funded offer from either Brown or Denver to keep me from moving to Blacksburg in the Fall, and I seriously doubt either program will come through with that kind of money.  However, I do feel like I have to wait until hearing back from those programs before accepting my VT offer, just in case.

In the mean time - since I'm 99% certain I'll be going to VA Tech - I'd like to start discussing my class schedule, TA duties, etc with my POI and the DGS, but without the pressure of them trying to sell me on the program. Would it be unprofessional to let them know I'm 99% positive I'll accept their offer?  I don't want to seem like I'm yanking their chain or trying to get them to sweeten the pot.  

I was thinking of throwing in something along the lines of: "I just want to mention again how excited I am about the program; I am only waiting on a couple more notifications and right now it would take something momentous to overtake your program as my top choice" at the end of my next email.  Does that seem snobby/pretentious?  I feel like I'm way overanalyzing this  :blink: 

Congrats! I'm an undergrad at KU. Can I ask who you might be working with? I could provide feedback If you'd like. Feel free to pm me.

I would be working with Sandra Olsen at KU.  I'll probably decline their offer as they can't offer much in the way of funding, but I would have enjoyed working with her at KUMNH.

Has anyone heard from UPenn, Virginia, or Boston?  I'm seeing nothing at all in the results search.  It's so late ...  makes me wonder what could be going on!  Funding issues?  

Just heard from UVA (well got an email at 1 AM). Rejected. Few positions available with competitive applicants.

all my results are in! I don't think I realize how much tension I had been carrying around until after getting that last email. for y'all stuck in limbo--- hang tight.

Awesome, congrats! Now the fun decision making process :D

all my results are in! I don't think I realize how much tension I had been carrying around until after getting that last email. for y'all stuck in limbo--- hang tight.

3 out of 4! Not too shabby! 

But limbo is SO NICE this time of year!  *thumps head on desk repeatedly*

In all seriousness, congratulations!  You have some great programs to choose from, and that's awesome!

Heh. Got the official rejection notice from UChicago's PhD program... even though I have been fully aware I wasn't accept for about a month now. Oh well, at least that's completely done.

Just got my rejection letter from Brown.  I figured I wouldn't get in since I hadn't heard from them at all so it's nice to get some confirmation.  Really just waiting on one more notification before I can accept this VT offer.