Fall 2015 Applicants

I'm just wondering if anyone else is in a situation similar to mine. I have several acceptances straight into PhD programs as well as an MA program, but I only have a funding offer from the MA program. I'm a little confused as to how things will work from here with April 15th approaching. Some of the programs have told me that they might make funding offers after 4/15, but don't I have to accept or decline admission by that date? It seems a little crazy to accept admission to a PhD program and just hope that I get funded between April and August. Would I be obligated to a school that I accepted admission to without funding if another funding offer came in later? And wouldn't I have to accept multiple schools' offers to wait it out and hear about funding (which seems deceitful if not flat out wrong)? The timeline of all this is driving me nuts. 

I just got an e-mail from Columbia to check the website. Rejected. Even though I saw it coming (didn't hear back from them AT ALL, all this time) I can't help but feel that this is the nail in the coffin. Still didn't hear back from Michigan (Anth & Hist PhD) and Duke. Do you gays now anything?

(I'm so sad that I have to watch some cute panda videos to get myself together)

I'm just wondering if anyone else is in a situation similar to mine. I have several acceptances straight into PhD programs as well as an MA program, but I only have a funding offer from the MA program. I'm a little confused as to how things will work from here with April 15th approaching. Some of the programs have told me that they might make funding offers after 4/15, but don't I have to accept or decline admission by that date? It seems a little crazy to accept admission to a PhD program and just hope that I get funded between April and August. Would I be obligated to a school that I accepted admission to without funding if another funding offer came in later? And wouldn't I have to accept multiple schools' offers to wait it out and hear about funding (which seems deceitful if not flat out wrong)? The timeline of all this is driving me nuts. 

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I don't think anyone would recommend committing to a PhD program without having first secured funding, so definitely get an answer from someone in the department as to deadlines etc. before making a decision. You don't want to be forced to make a choice between taking out loans or dropping out. I also committed to a PhD program without funding, but then rescinded my commitment after talking to a smart person, so backing out is an option if you end up hearing about funding from a different program. Doing an MA first definitely worked out better for me (I didn't major in Anthro in undergrad, and was completely oblivious to how unprepared I would've been going straight into a doctoral program), but your situation is likely different. I would say keep pushing for answers from the department, even if you feel like you're being a nuisance. What's the worst they can do, un-accept you? Can they actually do that?

You don't want to be forced to make a choice between taking out loans or dropping out.

I definitely don't want that. I am still very open to the MA option as I am also new to anthropology and love the work I would be doing with that professor. That having been said, if I get a funded PhD offer, I think I will take it and play catch-up with my anthropologically-trained cohort (I mean I love this stuff, so that shouldn't be too painful). Like I said in the other thread, I will be reaching out to departments when I know spring break season is over. I can't imagine un-accepting is a thing, especially not over someone trying to find out whether they will have net income or a mountain of expensive loans waiting for them at their new institution. The next four weeks should be pretty interesting. 

Edited by homo_ignotus

The next four weeks should be pretty interesting. 

Interesting indeed. Can I ask where you've been accepted, ignotus? Once I finalize my decision some funding should ostensibly be freed up at the other schools I was accepted, and it'd be nice to know if I helped someone out.

Edited by badmotorfinger

Interesting indeed. Can I ask where you've been accepted, ignotus? Once I finalize my decision some funding should ostensibly be freed up at the other schools I was accepted, and it'd be nice to know if I helped someone out.

At the risk of coming off as a creepy creeper, I've been, well, creeping you guys for awhile and made an account only recently on the off-chance I wanted to dive into the conversation!

Not to offend or pressure, but I got wait-listed at W&M Anthropology for PhD. You'd certainly be helping me, either way! Limbo is a crazy place to be! It's my only offer so far. Obviously, that's your call. I don't mean to pressure. Just... Yes. Yes, you would be helping someone out. ;)

Hi everyone I've been an avid reader on grad cafe but this is my first official post. I applied to GWU masters program and I saw on the results board that a few acceptances have gone out already, but my application still stays under-review. I'm freaking out and so anxious to find out. Can anyone provide any information on what this could mean? Is it basically a rejection, waitlist? 

Same feelings here re:McGill. I did call this week, and they said information was slowly coming out (fair, it's break week anyways). Anyone else apply/hear anything from them?

Yes, I also applied to the PhD program in Anthropology at Mcgill, and I'm still waiting for news (has anyone received an offer yet?). I called, and the grad secretary said it might still be another week or two.  It seems like a good program, with diverse faculty interests and a surprising (at least theoretical) separation from the Sociology department. I found the profs at Mcgill to be  welcoming in their initial correspondence, although I'm not sure if anyone with similar interests to me will be available to take on new PhD students this year. I still have my fingers crossed though. I'm fortunate to have received funded offers from UBC and Concordia, and I need to make a decision by tomorrow. I am actually seriously considering Concordia as I found the profs there to be the most encouraging and helpful in the application process and it seems like an interesting program (PhD in social and cultural analysis). Any thoughts/considerations/advice? Thanks everyone! 

Edited by solala

Hi everyone I've been an avid reader on grad cafe but this is my first official post. I applied to GWU masters program and I saw on the results board that a few acceptances have gone out already, but my application still stays under-review. I'm freaking out and so anxious to find out. Can anyone provide any information on what this could mean? Is it basically a rejection, waitlist? 

Hi homogenius, I can completely relate to the anxiety, but I don't think you need to worry yet. It could possibly mean that you are towards the top of their list, but perhaps they are waiting to hear back from the very top applicant(s) to see first if s/he accepts or rejects a funded offer so that they can potentially make a funded space available to someone like you. Or it could mean many other things, but it won't do you any good to stress. so relax! I'm going to try to do the same. 

UT Austin finally rejected me; no email but it's finally on the website now. I was expecting it, but that makes it all rejections this year. Back to my minimum wage retail job I guess.

Anybody like to claim the Case acceptance?  I was just curious if they gave you any time-frame for funding decisions.  I was just about to email the secretary to see where they were in the process, but if they are just getting the rest of their acceptances out...maybe funding is still a ways off??? 

It's my birthday and I'm on vacation, but I can't stop thinking about the two programs that have yet to give me a decision. I need a drink. 

Duke, right? That's the only one left for me also

The waiting is killing me!

Got accepted to 3 out of 4, will get the masters and reapply for the PhD come 2017 season. Not really upset (although would be nice) but good luck to those still waiting to hear! 

PENN has made their decisions, as far as I've known.

Hi Birinciben, I was sick of waiting so I emailed them, and apparently they are still working on it...