Fall 2015 Applicants

Just submittedy first 2 applications! Wheeeeheeeweeee.

Same here!  I was just waiting on my final LoR writer and she submitted a bunch at once so I went a little nuts and submitted 5 applications this afternoon. Halfway home on my apps!  I don't know how I'm going to make it to March without losing my marbles though...too much waiting!

Call it insane, but no matter how many times I check I am convinced I'm going to miss a Dec 1 deadline. I have triple checked my list, but I'm still totally worried about misreading a deadline! This process is the wooooooorst.

I sent all my applications in yesterday.  Maybe it looks good to get (some of them) in early?  Also, I just couldn't stand to look at them anymore, and if I changed something on a later one it was going to make me paranoid about submitting another application the other way.  I should be more relieved to be done, but I just feel...empty.

Thank you.

Because your saying that made me double check the Berkeley website and see that in the Anthro pages it says the application is due by midnight December 2nd...2013. On the main grad page, lo and behold, December 1st.

You just made my heart drop through my stomach. I've had the "December 2nd" date in my head for so long. Just went to double-check on the Comm page -- PHEW December 2nd, 2014. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

Maybe it looks good to get (some of them) in early?

That was my thought process when submitting stuff last week for applications that are due in January and February.  I figure it's better to be super early than super late.  At least now the (supposedly) hard part is out of the way...I feel like waiting around for a decision might end up being the real hard part.

y'all, I am so enjoying this break between the 1st and fifteenth, nothing but menial office work and old TV. at least, until the weekend. how are the rest of you managing until wave #2 is due? 

Break?

I wish. 

Anyone else having to crank out a research specialization statement on top of a statement of purpose and a personal history?  Write write write write. 

Hah! SMG, you're a better person than me. I still have plenty to do but sans a few days off i might just cave..i

Owellllll

Better, probably not.  Busier, possibly. 

I heard back from a POI about my SOP this morning. They thought it was strong and compelling.  I'm stoked.

Oh my god that would make my entire week. Did they just email you apropos of nothing or had you sent one of those "just letting you know that I've submitted my application!" emails? 

Oh my god that would make my entire week. Did they just email you apropos of nothing or had you sent one of those "just letting you know that I've submitted my application!" emails? 

It was sent out of the blue.  I consciously refrained from sending a "letting you know ive submitted my app" email.  It totally made my day.

I heard back from a POI about my SOP this morning. They thought it was strong and compelling.  I'm stoked.

How I imagined your POI saying that

Seriously though, that's awesome, congrats!  I can't imagine how exciting that must be, especially considering how stoked I get when a POI does something as mundane as encouraging me to apply for the program. :D

Edited by museum_geek

It was sent out of the blue.  I consciously refrained from sending a "letting you know ive submitted my app" email.  It totally made my day.

What are everyone's feelings on the "letting you know I've submitted my app" emails? Polite and neutral or pushy and off-putting?

I heard back from a POI about my SOP this morning. They thought it was strong and compelling. I'm stoked.

Yeeeeeeehawwwww!!!! three cheers for that, dude. Was it someone you chatted with a bit before hand? God, I never imagined apps were looked at so soon..... Gaaaaaaaadzookes.

Yeeeeeeehawwwww!!!! three cheers for that, dude. Was it someone you chatted with a bit before hand? God, I never imagined apps were looked at so soon..... Gaaaaaaaadzookes.

It's the POI I've chatted with the most and have gotten a very positive vibe from.  I could still get rejected by the school so I'm not trying to read to much into it.  I don't really know how admissions decisions are made but I imagine that it requires thumbs up from multiple voices. 

It's the POI I've chatted with the most and have gotten a very positive vibe from. I could still get rejected by the school so I'm not trying to read to much into it. I don't really know how admissions decisions are made but I imagine that it requires thumbs up from multiple voices.

I get not counting your chickens, but still- it is a great sign and (IMO) supports cautious optimism! I'd certainly feel v. pleased with meself.

Guys, AAA is insane. I mean, it is awesome! I keep seeing POIs and not having real reasons to talk to them (though I have fabricated a few reasons in the name of introducing myself) and also there are just anthropologists everywhere. It is like your bookshelf came to life. It's Night at the Museum: That Weird Part of Your Library Where The Monographs Are. Of course, the presence of 'real' (with PhDs) anthropologists is just making my imposter syndrome worse! I feel like everyone knows I'm not REALLY an anthropologist (yet).

BIZARRE

The good news is that a very fancy POI and I are now planning a session for another conference so hay hay hay

This post has been brought to you by the bar at the Marriott at AAA.