Should I turn down Fulbright?

alloy

Hi guys, 

I have recently been awarded Fulbright Scholarship for Columbia MPA and I am thinking whether should I accept or reject it. The thing is that I was awarded only $8,000 and I will be facing 2-years home requirement. Therefore, I am wondering whether all the prestige which goes along Fulbright is really worth much. 

I feel no real need to stay in US after completing my studies (in fact I am willing to come back to my home country in a few years after graduation) but I feel that I will definitely limit my employment opportunities if I will accept Fulbright.

Personally, it seems to me that it's not worth it. The home requirement really limits your opportunities post-graduation, and I don't think it's worth it for the amount they're offering you. If you know you're going to go back home, then it's no problem. But if you think you may want to get a job in the US or in a third country, or you're just not sure, this can be a real limiting factor down the line. (Personally I don't think any amount is worth it, but unlike you I don't think going home for two years after I graduate would be good for my career at all so I never applied in the first place.) As for the prestige, at least in my (academic) field it's completely acceptable to have fellowships you were offered and declined on your CV, so if things are the same in your field then you have very little to gain from accepting the fellowship. All that matters is that you won it, and that's good enough for having it on your CV.

I did some research and found out that there are a few additionals pros of Fulbright:

- it has awesome reputation in my country

- the two years home requirement do not work for international organizations (they issue different type of visa) which are my dream places to work in the USA

- i will have no troubles in obtaining a visa (and I feel it is quite late to apply for regular F-1)

The only issue is the 2-year home requirement if I decide to go into provate sector in US. On the other hand, I do not think that it will happen.