Is it bad to not have a LOR from your current employer for MPP programs?

To be brief, I am currently living in Europe via a Fulbright grant that is ending soon. I have long-term plans to stay in this country and am currently working at an internship that should hopefully transition to a job (and a visa) in the next few months. However, I do not particularly enjoy working here, largely because I don't get along with my boss (for various reasons). Still, I think there are good experiences that I have gotten from this position (and will continue to build on), so it's worth it to me to have this on my CV and possibly reference it in a statement of purpose. But, I would not feel comfortable asking my boss to write a LOR due to this friction between us. I am also not sure if she would like the idea of knowing I'm planning on leaving next summer. 

Any thoughts on this? Do MPP programs expect that your current employer would vouch for you?

Obviously you should check the websites of the programs you're interested in, but from my application cycle I recall that most programs said that if you're working they prefer to have at least one professional reference.  If you don't get along well with your boss though, it doesn't necessarily have to be that particular person.   Maybe you could get someone else at your office to write a recc for you? Or your Fulbright program director? Or if there's someone higher up in the organization who you could convince to write a letter, that would be a possibility as well.  You have some time before you have to turn in your applications, so you can put some thought/planning behind it.  You could also ask someone who you've worked for previously, if you've had professional jobs prior to doing the Fulbright.  I changed jobs in the middle of my application cycle, so even though I referenced my new job on my apps, I didn't have my current boss write me an LOR because we just didn't know each other well yet.  Instead, I had previous employers who I knew well act as my professional references. 

I was in a similar position when applying, MPP2015. I knew my manager and group at work would be unhappy to see me leave, as they value the work I do, and the shift in career path I'm seeking pretty much guarantees I won't be back. Instead, I had someone else at work write a recommendation for me who is outside of my reporting structure and doesn't interact with my group often. I had worked with him on a project before, so he knew my capabilities, though I didn't work with him on a regular basis. I'd recommend Gov2School's advice of getting the professional recommendation, but looking for someone outside of your immediate manager. It worked well for me!

• 4 weeks later...

I also did not use a reference from my current supervisor, because I felt nervous about my job security if she knew I was considering leaving. Thankfully, I was able to call on two past supervisors for letters.

I like Swedish Coffee's advice, though, if there is someone else within your current organization that you can ask!