Applying to more than one program in a particular school

SocPhDreamer

Hi all! Quick question: If I plan to apply to like two programs in one particular school. For example like PhD in Ed and PhD in Soc -- would it look bad (hurt my chances for both programs) if I do? I am assuming grad admiss may think I am indecisive.

Thanks!

I don't know how it would be viewed (or whether the departments would even know you were applying to both...), but some schools actually prohibit you from doing this.  I wanted to apply to a joint program and the straight soc program at one school, and they told me I couldn't do it.  So, I'd first just check that the graduate school doesn't "forbid" it.  

I thought of doing this at two schools.  Berkeley specifically disallows it.  At Harvard, I asked about it and they said they would take it as the mark of an "unserious student", even if I was applying with the exact same project.  If you can get away with it, it's fine.  To my knowledge, there's no reason the departments would find out unless you tell them.  Just if you have any questions about this policy, contact the school not the departments directly.