Do companies not hire current PhD students?

annoyed

Has anyone tried to get a job while still in a PhD program?

I have an assistantship, but I'd like to live a little better and I think I can handle more work. So I've been looking for a full-time job the last couple months. I've gotten no responses even though I think I have a strong resume. The only problem I can think of is that companies don't want to hire someone currently working on a PhD. They think I won't have time or they think I'll quit as soon as I graduate. I'm guessing there might be confidentiality issues with some of them too.

It's quiet angering being ignored for jobs I'm certain I'd at least get an interview for.

That's a tough question. I imagine most companies would wonder about how much time you could devote to their various initiatives and whether your dissertation would distract you from giving them your full attention. Those are issues you might want to specifically address in your cover letter. How far along are you in your degree program? If you are ABD, you might be able to have an easier go at it with a part-time job. I do admire your desire to earn some extra income on the side and hope you can find a suitable outcome.

what kind of positions are you applying to? maybe that had something to do with it.

i've been employed full-time while in graduate school before. but these were limited-time contracts that if either the employer or myself didn't want to renew the whole thing would stop. 

I'm ABD now. I do all my writing and reading at night now as it is, so I figured I might as well work full-time during the day. I'm applying for the same type of job I had before I started the PhD. I worked 3 years between my MS and PhD.

I'm thinking about leaving the PhD off my resume and then bringing it up in the interview. I'm sure they'll ask "What have you been doing all this time?" I'll say I left it off since I'm not done yet. I've been putting it on my resume thinking it would make me a more attractive candidate. Apparently not.

• 4 weeks later...