To locate by Latitudes and Longitudes (many locations)?

cordin

Hello to you. 

I have dozens of pairs of Latitudes and Longitudes on hand, such as 55°02.857'N + 002°3.294'E, and I need to find out where they are. Each pair of them means a location, could be in a city, desert, forest, ocean etc. 

In what way I can find their rough locations? Just the country and area name will do, and no need to be precisely accurate. 

There are online webpages can do so but the number of coordinates are huge so I can’t do them one by one manually. Would there be a list of coordinates that I can search for results? 

Thanks.

I'm fairly certain you can load in excel sheets to google earth and do it. I Know you can load an excel or text document into ArcGIS, there are some GMT packages that can also do it.

If you don't have arcgis, then you will probably need some programming skills.

thanks for the replies.

because the Latitudes and Longitudes are in an Excel file with other relevant data, so preferabbly i want to set up the lookup function between. I am think to round them to simplify and resutls matched, for example 55°02.857'N + 002°3.294'E to 55.0 + 2.1. Would this be a reasonable way?

I dont know; rounding whole degrees could potentially offset the point ~50 km. While that isn't a huge distance, if it is near a boarder or in an area where there are many small countries you might find that you might find that instead of Croatia you are in Slovenia.

just a thought.  

If you have "dozens" (i.e. less than 100) coordinates, I really think the fastest way is to copy and paste them from Excel into Google and then write down each answer. Even if it took you 30 seconds to copy and paste each line, 100 coordinates = 3000 seconds = 50 minutes. 

One way to make it faster is that you can write a mini Excel script that converts the Degrees:Minutes:Seconds notation to just decimal degrees, i.e. 55.04761666666.

If you have a lot more than 100 coordinates, and you know some programming, you should write a small script that does this. As someone mentioned, Python is pretty good at this and I am sure there is a module that can tell you geographic location.

Either way, I don't think it will save you much time if you round the numbers and like GeoDUDE says, rounding can cause potentially significant errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Thanks for the helps.

Certainly it will be perfect if I can do it from programming. But if I only know some Excel skills and what’s all, and I want an immediate solution?

Below worked out may help, and of course it’s an rough answer only, before I learned how to do it from programming.

(Let me know if you need the Excel files.)

post-105468-0-48103700-1403858207.jpg

• 2 weeks later...