Is an LCSW worth it?

So I really do want to do something in the social work/psychology field and I've been torn about which way to go, but I wonder if getting a LCSW is worth it?  My situation is a bit different than others. 

I'm a married 30yo mother of a newborn son who really hasn't done much since graduating from college.  I've worked at some research positions, tried my hand at a PsyD program but didn't like it and left.  Right now I don't work.  My total college debt was around $40K and my husband has paid off half of it.  He is paying the rest of it off and that's pretty much the only debt we have.  I want to go to social work school and looking at the schools I feel like are the best fit for me, they range from $80K to $100K (tuition only).  My dream school is NYU but my husband feels that with a family, the high cost of living, the tuition, and the fact he has to completely switch jobs for grad school is too high of a price to pay to get my MSW/LCSW.  I agree with him, but at the same time, I don't want to be restricted.  There are other schools outside of NYC that I like and would love to go to.  But again, he would have to completely rearrange his work for me (so if I get my acceptance letter in April, he'd have to find a job quick- another concern of his).  In addition, he'd be paying for it- we'd get a loan out under my name but he'd pay it back over time.  I'd agree to pay him back once my career stabilizes, along with the undergrad debt.  His concern is that my career never takes off and he's left with another $80K worth of debt that I can't pay off.  He's already agreed to move and pay for my tution and he agreed to defer buying a home or a new car since, well we might be moving in the next 5yrs. 

His apprension over this is that we go head first into my plan and worst case scenario, I end up with a job that pays $35-$40K/yr and somehow don't get my LCSW (which is really what I want, I don't know if I'd be happy with a MSW being a social worker in the hospital)- we've wasted that time, the tuition money, and his career for a job I may not like.  And that is a concern of mine as well.  I have to be passionate about my job and if it's not something I believe in 100%, I don't think I'll be able to handle it.  He worries that I'll just leave my job, but I'm willing to try it out if I end up with a social work job I'm not thrilled about.  I don't want to waste all that money and throw a wrench into my husband's career for nothing... but at the same time, I want to work and do something meaningful.  I think if I were fresh out of college and single, I'd take that risk.  But with my family, I have to think about them as well.  I'm struggling with how to balance out my career and them. 

I'm pretty sure I can get my MSW, but what I really want is the LCSW- how difficult is it to get an LCSW?  I'm pretty confident I can get my LCSW and make at least $60K a year, in which case, I think it's worth it to take on the risk.  Aside from wanting to work and make a career out of this, I want to make my own money and be financially independent as well.  My husband is supportive of this, but again, he feels like with his money and his career on the line, he worries about me not getting my LCSW.  He thinks it's a riskless bet for me and that he is holding most of the risk.  He thinks I should go to the local MSW program, but I want to do clinical social work with a strong focus on psychodynamic therapy and our local program is more CBT oriented, so I have my doubts about it.

Any thoughts?

LCSW is the best license a social worker can have. It opens up many doors and opportunities. Will you be making $60k right away? Maybe, but chances are you will start out less. Also, while NYU is your dream school, cost of living and attendance is very high. $60k in NYC is much different than $60k in Columbus, Ohio, or anywhere for that matter. School prestige matters little, as long as the school is CSWE accredited it really doesn't matter. Just make sure the school has classes and a curriculum that is in line with what you want to do. I'd recommend volunteering or working somewhere before making an major decisions. This way you can work with a population you are interested in and pick the brains of other social workers.

I would also set up a meeting at your local school that offers a MSW. While they may be CBT oriented (and that's what most clinical schools focus on) you may still be able to get classroom experience with psychodynamic theory. More importantly, you can inquire if there are internships available that have a focus on psychodynamic therapy. Classes are important, but it's your placement experience and licensing that most prospective employers care about.

An LCSW (or LISW or LICSW depending on the state. There could even be more acronyms) is a bit challenging to get. You first have to take a licensing exam that is obviously focused on the clinical aspect, then you have to be supervised for 2 years. Basically you have to be in a position for 2 years (3000 hours) and meet weekly with someone who holds an independent license. This person doesn't have to be a boss or someone you work with. In Ohio, over the 2 years, I believe it's around 150 hours of face-to-face supervision during the 2 years. People will often charge $50/hr and up to supervise someone since it is on their own time. I imagine it's similar from state to state. While it can be costly, it's necessary to be able to make the higher salaries in this field.

Just out of curiosity, why would you have to pay your husband back for tuition? Seems odd to have that kind of arrangement as a married couple. Based on your post it seems like it's being held against you, especially when he says he's the one holding risk and not you.

Edited by Kristopher

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting your numbers from. If we're talking strictly tuition (ie: living expenses, health insurance, etc, removed from the equation) NYU won't even put you at the $80,000 mark. Yes, it's close, but it's still under your projected range of $80k-$100k. Fordham is approximately $20,000 less. Hunter is obviously significantly less, as is any other state school. There are cheaper options out there, even ones that hold some prestige, though many argue that prestige is useless in the realm of MSWs. Personally, I'm hoping they're right, being that I turned it down (somewhat; Tulane is a great school, too)  for the sake of cost and location.

Regardless of anything, getting your MSW and working as an LCSW, or working as anything for that matter, should be about your drive to do it and not about the money. I guarantee you that there's not a single social worker in the world who is in it for the money. It's not a get rich quick scheme. But if you want to do it, and you feel like it will give your life purpose and meaning, and you truly want to help others, then do it. Yes, you'll have student loan debt - we all do. Most people who go to college/graduate school do. So what? You can't take your (or your husband's, in your case) money with you when you die.

My suggestion? If you really want to do be a social worker, that is... Is to pay your own bill. That way it's your risk and you don't have to justify anything to anyone. You won't owe any explanations and you can move at your own pace without someone pressuring you to make a timely return on their investment.

I am attending nyu this fall hoping to become LCSW one day. Just follow your heart and don't follow money.

Not an awful idea if you are 22 and just graduated from college. It's much more difficult to follow that advice when you are in your 30s with a newborn and a husband.

Plenty of people go to graduate school with husbands and children. It's not impossible. In fact, at 25, I was the youngest graduate in my class for my first master's degree.

I'm not in it for the money and don't expect to be filthy rich from it, but I expect that being a social worker should be enough for me to pay off my debts and support myself.  Thanks for the advice Kristopher, I might go take a look at the programs but what's most important to me is what kind of therapy they are focused on.  If it's not psychodynamic, I really wonder it it's the right program for me.  I wonder if it's OK for me to enter a CBT program when I really want to do psychodynamic therapy. 

I do want to pay for myself and do things independently, which is why I'm putting the loan in my name and want to pay off the loan.  But by having my husband pay off the loans earlier, I pay less in interest.  Once I start my career, I can pay him back and be free and clear of any debts to him.  This is something I want to do for myself.  Now if things fall through, he can pay off the debt until I get back on my feet.  I was paying off my undergrad loans but my job dried up and he's paying them off now.  But I want to pay him back.  Or maybe he should just pay for me without having me to pay him back... would that would be the right thing to do?  I don't know.  That doesn't sit well with me.  I've always done things on my own.

If you want to do psychotherapy and CBT, I think you're heading in the wrong direction. That's straight up psychology. And I don't think even NYU has a program that would fit your bill, despite the fact that they're heavily clinical. Why didn't the PsyD program work for you? Seems like it's way closer to what you're actually looking for since so much of the MSW program and role of a social worker is rooted in different principles.

Actually, sorry to disagree with you Lifesaver, but I think that some MSW programs with a heavy clinical focus such as NYU would fit the bill. I completed my MSW at NYU and a great number of their core courses and electives were focused on psychotherapeutic techniques and how they applied to human behavior. Moreover, a number of term-long and mini electives were on different psychodynamic theories, and, if memory serves, there were several electives on CBT. These courses were taught by very experienced psychotherapists and analysts. While, the NYU courses didn't provide enough hands on training to say that you were trained in these areas, it certainly gave you enough exposure to these areas to determine whether you were interested in entering the therapy field and which treatment modality you were most interested in. Of my graduating class, I think roughly 75% or so, are working towards or were interested in getting their LCSW, mostly at institutes or mental health clinics, a good number also went straight into psychoanalyic training following graduation.

I hope this helps Trufflesalt, feel free to PM me!

Edited by BritPhD

So I really do want to do something in the social work/psychology field and I've been torn about which way to go, but I wonder if getting a LCSW is worth it?  My situation is a bit different than others. 

I'm a married 30yo mother of a newborn son who really hasn't done much since graduating from college.  I've worked at some research positions, tried my hand at a PsyD program but didn't like it and left.  Right now I don't work.  My total college debt was around $40K and my husband has paid off half of it.  He is paying the rest of it off and that's pretty much the only debt we have.  I want to go to social work school and looking at the schools I feel like are the best fit for me, they range from $80K to $100K (tuition only).  My dream school is NYU but my husband feels that with a family, the high cost of living, the tuition, and the fact he has to completely switch jobs for grad school is too high of a price to pay to get my MSW/LCSW.  I agree with him, but at the same time, I don't want to be restricted.  There are other schools outside of NYC that I like and would love to go to.  But again, he would have to completely rearrange his work for me (so if I get my acceptance letter in April, he'd have to find a job quick- another concern of his).  In addition, he'd be paying for it- we'd get a loan out under my name but he'd pay it back over time.  I'd agree to pay him back once my career stabilizes, along with the undergrad debt.  His concern is that my career never takes off and he's left with another $80K worth of debt that I can't pay off.  He's already agreed to move and pay for my tution and he agreed to defer buying a home or a new car since, well we might be moving in the next 5yrs. 

His apprension over this is that we go head first into my plan and worst case scenario, I end up with a job that pays $35-$40K/yr and somehow don't get my LCSW (which is really what I want, I don't know if I'd be happy with a MSW being a social worker in the hospital)- we've wasted that time, the tuition money, and his career for a job I may not like.  And that is a concern of mine as well.  I have to be passionate about my job and if it's not something I believe in 100%, I don't think I'll be able to handle it.  He worries that I'll just leave my job, but I'm willing to try it out if I end up with a social work job I'm not thrilled about.  I don't want to waste all that money and throw a wrench into my husband's career for nothing... but at the same time, I want to work and do something meaningful.  I think if I were fresh out of college and single, I'd take that risk.  But with my family, I have to think about them as well.  I'm struggling with how to balance out my career and them. 

I'm pretty sure I can get my MSW, but what I really want is the LCSW- how difficult is it to get an LCSW?  I'm pretty confident I can get my LCSW and make at least $60K a year, in which case, I think it's worth it to take on the risk.  Aside from wanting to work and make a career out of this, I want to make my own money and be financially independent as well.  My husband is supportive of this, but again, he feels like with his money and his career on the line, he worries about me not getting my LCSW.  He thinks it's a riskless bet for me and that he is holding most of the risk.  He thinks I should go to the local MSW program, but I want to do clinical social work with a strong focus on psychodynamic therapy and our local program is more CBT oriented, so I have my doubts about it.

Any thoughts?

Trufflesalt,

First I want to say that I can empathize with you with regards to your concerns.  As a married man myself who's living in Boston, the only schools that offer MSW programs are all private with estimated yearly tuition alone at $40,000 (not counting the cost of books) and the cost-of-living here in Boston isn't cheap either.  Between my wife and I currently, we have about $70,000 in student loan debt.  When we first moved here to Boston I was contemplating grad school after my job ends (I was only offered a 2 yr term position that expires next month); however, the thought of incurring over $80,000 in student loan debt was not even going to happen.  Talk about a source of contention between my wife and I.  Here I was feeling stuck with no ability to pursue my career goal because we simply couldn't afford it.  Fortunately, thanks to the GI Bill, I'm able to attend free of cost.  However, that's not the point I'm trying to make.  First and foremost, it's important to understand that as a married couple both parties must be on the same page.  I can only begin to imagine how difficult it is for you in your current situation feeling as though you're indebted to your husband.  Though NYU may be your dream school, it's imperitive that you and your husband sit down and discuss if there might be a more affordable alternative.  Without the love and support of your husband, you may find it difficult to get through graduate school regardless of the financial cost because grad school (especially MSW programs) are extremely rigorous and demanding.  You mentioned "but I'm willing to try it out if I end up with a social work job I'm not thrilled about" which kind of concerns me a bit namely the "willing to try it out" part.  Graduate school requires a lot of commitment.  I honestly don't blame your husband for being concerned especially since you stated that you tried a PsyD program and ended up not liking it.  Obviously that's your choice, but you've already had a history of trying something and finding out you didn't like it---all at some financial cost.  It sounds like your husband is trying to see how devoted and committed you are to an MSW as, you've mentioned, it'll require him to relocate to another job and help financially support you and your child.  As a husband myself, that's a huge burden and not something to be taken lightly. 

In closing, you posed the question "Is an LCSW worth it?"  For someone who's dedicated and committed to pursuing an MSW, the answer is a hands down "YES" but it sounds like you're wrestling with some serious doubts and concerns right now which may hinder your ability to succeed in graduate school.  It's important that you and your husband be on the same page before stepping forward and applying to graduate school regardless of the program whether it be a PsyD, PhD, MSW, MHC, etc.  I sincerely wish you the best success as a potential graduate student, wife and mother---all of which are not easy to juggle and balance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to mince words- I want to be a therapist.  It's been my life long dream.  But due to personal situations and a series of bad choices, I've messed up some golden opportunities.  PsyD and PhD are out because they take too long.  Now if I were 22yo, I'd go for it.  But I don't want to be 45yo, fresh out of school with even more debt I have to pay back.  The way I see it, a LCSW is the most efficient way to practice therapy at this point in my life.  And I know that the programs in NYC are the best for me after reading them online- I think.  I know I can't go to the local school because it's too CBT.

Well after talking about it with my husband, he still has a lot of reservations and feels uncomfortable about it, but understands that it is my life goal to have a career and be financially independent from him.  So after discussing it, he's offered to pay off my undergrad loans, pay off my grad school, offer whatever daycare is necessary to help me out (a live in nanny if necessary), offer to move anywhere once I get my acceptance letter (even to NYC- which he is not thrilled with)- he says he will start saving up now in the event he can't find a job that quick (but I'm sure he'll find something), and offer to move wherever I can get a job.  And he says it is his gift to me.  But I probably will pay him back since he is helping me out.  However the one wrinkle is, and this is what he wants in return- he says that if this doesn't work that I can't go back to another grad school program and that after all that sacrifice that he's going to have to start directing my career- i.e. work or be a stay at home mom (which I can't stand!).  He says he is taking on a lot of risk, and I agree.  But I don't think it's right of him to tell me what to do if this doesn't work out.  I still very much want a career, even if this fails.  I still want a career and he can't just tell me what to do and I'm unhappy with that. 

The two-year MSW degree at most schools includes a foundation year and an advanced/specialized year. Your first year placement may have absolutely nothing to do with therapy. NYU's MSW program, as well as many other programs, accept transfer applications for those who've completed a year elsewhere. Why don't you attend the local, cheaper MSW program to see if you like it and apply to transfer to schools that offer the training you'd like? If worse come to worse, maybe you could spend the final year at NYU or wherever else by yourself (you'll be busy enough with coursework and your field placement) while your husband continues his career and you use the 60k+ you saved by going to the local school to pay for child care and travel costs to visit home. Then, you could return home or move wherever else to do your clinical work for the LCSW.

In terms of what's fair with your husband, I don't think any of us are in a position to answer that. But if this "falls through," you've about run out of options to be a therapist.

Edited by TheCrow

Trufflesalt,

I'm a little concerned about your recent post because it still seems like you two are not on the "same page" and that even if your husband agrees to move wherever you get accepted, provide daycare for your child(ren), pay off your undergraduate debt & graduate school expenses, the simple fact that you feel "indebted" to your husband can be a recipe for disaster.  The decision to attend graduate school (to obtain your lifelong dream of becoming a therapist) should not be held for ransom.  Now please keep in mind that I'm by no means a marriage counselor; however, as I previously mentioned, there are quite a few "red flags" that shouldn't be ignored or pushed aside.  It's not a wise thing to be selfish in a relationship---let alone a marriage where you have the needs of others to take into consideration.  Should you follow your dreams?  Yes, of course; however, if the pursuit of those dreams comes at a high cost (emotionally, financially, etc.) to others, it may be something to reconsider or at the very least restructure.  The fact that you'd expect him to quit his job altogether without the certainty of an equally paying job at the new location (especially with this economy) all so that you could move your family to attend graduate school?  That's a lot to ask of your husband, no offense.  It sounds awfully like manipulation and cohersion to me which don't foster a healthy supportive environment.  Now if you were given a full scholarship for both years then that'd be a whole different story.  Unfortunately not many graduate programs (if any at all) offer such scholarships.  The most I've heard of is 75% because let's face it, universities are businesses and they want to receive some profit.

All in all, what you're asking of your husband to do is a tremendous burden which can be very taxing.  Like I said in my previous post, had I not been able to receive a full scholarship, I would not have been able to attend graduate school anytime soon.  For me to have subjected my wife to maintaining 2+ jobs just to pay the bills while I went to school (all the while accruing more debt), is not fair to my wife nor our future.  Yes I might've had an MSW which allowed me to become a therapist, but at what financial and emotional cost?  I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm trying to lend some sound wisdom from someone who's a husband and who wants a better life for his family.

Oh no, I'm not manipulating or forcing him to do this!  He actually offered to give up everything up for my career and didn't ask for a single cent or anything in return.  I'm the one that feels bad about it.  He offered this as he knows I'd go crazy working at McDonalds or being a stay at home mom.  I plan to pay him back, even though he's not asking for it.  He's pretty well off compared to me but I don't think it's a big burden, it's not like he's going bankrupt doing this, but it is going to affect him a little bit in terms of money (but not really as I told him I would pay him back once I become a LCSW).  He's just finished his education and is now free and clear to work.  So he's in a way better position than me so he can move.  Obviously I'd try to give him as much time to find a job in NYC or wherever I end up because I know he is totally supporting our family right now financially and will do anything to help him find a job. 

Ideally, I wish I could go to the local school- but their curriculum and heavy emphasis on CBT rules it out.  If NYU was in our town at local college prices, I'd totally stay in town.  We both agree that if I go to a heavily oriented CBT program, it would be a very difficult situation for me and I might not make it.  So the way he sees it is that he can spend $25K to try here, with a highly likelihood of failure only for him to pay for another MSW program.  So by letting me pick out the best program for me, he saves $25K.   

His biggest gripe is that he is shouldering the risk in going to grad school (his job, his preference in where to live, the finances).  And I agree with that.  But I want to become a LCSW.  I can try to accomodate his wants and needs, but it will be difficult given what I want in a program.  He's said I should at least give the program here a look, and I will, but I don't expect much.  I think the LCSW is worth the risk, but having him and our baby around makes it more difficult.  Now if my husband wasn't so well off, I'd be more hesitant about doing this.    

Basically he is trying to give me a situation where I am 22yo, fresh from undergrad without any other obligations so that he can maximize my success- he doesn't want to make all these sacrifices for me to fail.  And he says that if he tries to limit my options based on his needs or the baby's needs, that I would regret not doing what I want to do and would blame him or the baby if things don't work out. 

Edited by Trufflesalt

This is the curriculum at NYU: http://socialwork.nyu.edu/academics/msw/course-descriptions.html. The first year, you would take the professional foundation. Your first-year field placement will probably not have anything to do with therapy. Would you be able to live with that? In the entire first year, you'd take one general class about clinical practice.

I see you're from the midwest. Here's a school I picked at random: http://www.uic.edu/jaddams/college/programs/msw/plan_of_study.html. See how the first year courses are identical. Here's another: http://clas.uiowa.edu/socialwork/graduate-program/msw-program/msw-curriculum

So the way he sees it is that he can spend $25K to try here, with a highly likelihood of failure only for him to pay for another MSW program.  So by letting me pick out the best program for me, he saves $25K. 

What are you going to do if you get a professor you don't like? Or a field placement that in some unrelated field (e.g., a foodbank)? Or clinical supervision you don't like. What about colleagues or even clients that you dislike? What would you do if you didn't get into NYU? Where else would you apply?

This is the curriculum at NYU: http://socialwork.nyu.edu/academics/msw/course-descriptions.html. The first year, you would take the professional foundation. Your first-year field placement will probably not have anything to do with therapy. Would you be able to live with that? In the entire first year, you'd take one general class about clinical practice.

I see you're from the midwest. Here's a school I picked at random: http://www.uic.edu/jaddams/college/programs/msw/plan_of_study.html. See how the first year courses are identical. Here's another: http://clas.uiowa.edu/socialwork/graduate-program/msw-program/msw-curriculum

What are you going to do if you get a professor you don't like? Or a field placement that in some unrelated field (e.g., a foodbank)? Or clinical supervision you don't like. What about colleagues or even clients that you dislike? What would you do if you didn't get into NYU? Where else would you apply?

Well my concern is that if I go to the local school, well there's no 100% guarantee that I could just transfer into NYU- worst case scenario, I'm stuck at the local school.  I'm not comfortable with that.  In addition to that, there is the talk of maybe moving out of NYC once I get my MSW as my husband doesn't like NYC.  So moving for a year would really make life difficult for him- he'd have to find 2 jobs in 2 years.  But most likely, I'd probably end up working in and living in NYC because I love the city and there are so many great opportunities for my career so we'd likely stay there. 

I don't mind a professor since I've never had problems with classes.  With clients, I have done some clinical work and I am confident it would not bother me anymore than anybody else- never had an issues in the past.  My concern is the field placement and supervision- I just want to do psychodynamic therapy.  As long as everybody is on board with that, I'm fine.  I'd just pick clincals that support this view, which I think in NYC would be pretty easy.  My issue is if a supervisor or a clinic wants me to do something that I don't believe in, it's not that I won't do it or am oppositional- it's just that I can't do it.  I can try to do CBT but it doesn't work out- I've done it in the past and I doesn't work out.  My husband feels that it is a fine line between finding a program that is best for me vs. giving up too easily because there is some CBT or some things I don't want to do.  But my past experience is that if I don't find a program that supports me, it ends up being a bad situation for everybody.  Now if I end up in a food bank, well I'm not going to be thrilled about it, but I can do the social work stuff because it's not CBT.  I know that I can still make a difference in a food bank and help others out. 

Even if all my field placements are doing non-therapy, I'll be fine.  As long as the therapy field-placements are not in CBT-heavy clinics.  I do worry a bit about going into the ghettos and slums as I've been mugged once, but again I don't think I have any more or less concerns than anybody else. 

I guess you'll ultimately do what you want to do Trufflesalt.  It just seems a little odd to me that you pose a question at the beginning of this thread almost as though you're expecting people to go along with your plan whether it makes logical sense or not, instead of being open to feedback and potential criticism.  To me it sounds like you're being extremely selfish without putting the needs of your family ahead of your own all for something you're "willing to try".  But as I mentioned in my first reply, I sincerely wish you the best and truly hope that this decision to pursue an MSW doesn't prove to be detrimental to your marriage, family, etc. at the cost of financial debt, unnecessary stress.  I honestly think you have too much you could potentially lose should you choose to relocate your family to NYC to attend NYU.  NYU is not the only "top school" for MSW programs in the U.S. and there are definitely cheaper but equally prestigious/recognized MSW programs elsewhere.  Having lived a couple hours north of NYC for about 5 years (and now in Boston for over 2 years), you're in for a very rude awakening should you choose to move to the northeast--especially from the midwest.  Cost-of-living here in the northeast is not too forgiving.  Again, good luck to you.

Wow, did you really say "GHETTOS AND SLUMS"....  Yeah, no one outside of those environments EVER MUGGS .....especially in NYC.....You are coming across very badly in this post.  Yeah, we may all have concerns about any potential job, but you seem to EXPECT everything to be done your way.  Is this really the CAREER for you?  If so, you might want to re-evaluate your family situation and the TRUE demographic of people you may be working with in this profession.  

I wondered if the OP was a troll and the whole "ghetto and slums" comment made me think so even more.

It'd suck if that was indeed true because I've taken quite the effort to generate thoughtful replies....time that I could never get back.  Should I call the police and report a robbery of our time? lol

LOL thanks TLC I appreciate the support :)  I just find it ironic, whether a forum troll or not, how often people will pose a question asking for advice and/or suggestions when they themselves may not necessarily be open-minded to what someone says (e.g., if you're not going to agree with me or tell me something I want to hear then I'm going to ignore/dismiss whatever you say)....yet it's often that kind of advice which needs to be said.  I just don't want to ever come across as an asshole

• 4 weeks later...

Trufflesalt, 

I'm 27 (unmarried, no kids, but I do have a long-term boyfriend) and I too questioned the sticker price at the college I'm attending in the fall. (Simmons). The most poigniant reason why I decided to go get my MSW is the 2007 College Cost Reduction and Access Act. I believe it directly applies to your situation and that of many grad students and recent graduates here.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 established a new public service loan forgiveness program. This program discharges any remaining debt after 10 years of full-time employment in public service. The borrower must have made 120 payments as part of the Direct Loan program in order to obtain this benefit. Only payments made on or after October 1, 2007 count toward the required 120 monthly payments. (Borrowers may consolidate into Direct Lending in order to qualify for this loan forgiveness program starting July 1, 2008.)

The public service loan forgiveness program has several restrictions:

• Term: The forgiveness occurs after 120 monthly payments made on or after October 1, 2007 on an eligible Federal Direct Loan. Periods of deferment and forbearance are not counted toward the 120 payments. Payments made before October 1, 2007 do not count. Likewise, only payments on a Federal Direct Loan are counted.

• What is forgiven? The remaining interest and principal are forgiven.

• Employment: The borrower must be employed full-time in a public service job for each of the 120 monthly payments. 

Source: http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml

Another source with info specific for LCSWs/MSWs, etc: http://www.socialworkers.org/loanforgiveness/default.asp

I'm terribly sorry if everybody here thinks I am a troll, but I'm just coming here trying to come up with the next step.  My husband keeps on wanting to talk about it as he is concerned I'm going to give him a 3 month window to completely uproot everything and move to NYC but I just don't know what to do- I know I want to go to NYU and become a LCSW in NYC, but don't know how to get it done.  Some days I think I've got a plan and other times I feel like I'm being too selfish.  I am now considering other programs outside of NYC, but my heart tells me that NYC, specifically NYU is this fantastic opportunity to get back on track.  It's a very difficult decision- I can understand avoiding NYC for the family but then I think about what I want and how hard I've worked and all the difficulties and failures I've encountered and that, frankly speaking- this is my last chance and I now have the resources to make it happen.  I go back and forth all the time...

Wow, did you really say "GHETTOS AND SLUMS"....  Yeah, no one outside of those environments EVER MUGGS .....especially in NYC.....You are coming across very badly in this post.  Yeah, we may all have concerns about any potential job, but you seem to EXPECT everything to be done your way.  Is this really the CAREER for you?  If so, you might want to re-evaluate your family situation and the TRUE demographic of people you may be working with in this profession.  

Well I had a friend who said that a classmate in NYC ended up in a bad part of town and, well since I got mugged, it does make my heartbeat go up a few ticks.  I didn't mean to offend anybody with that and I know this is an issue I have to deal with.  I personally don't think this could affect my clinicals, but my husband voices some concerns, like taking the subway outside of Manhattan since my "street smarts" aren't the best.  I want to go into social work and help others with therapy and I do truly enjoy that work.  

As for things wanting to go my way, well I've struggled in the past trying to do things that I don't necessarily agree with and it just hasn't worked.  I feel like that over the years as I've tried to become a therapist, I've always made compromises on what I truly believes helps people and which programs to go to.  So now I'm trying to be more selective to find a program that will help me and who's views are more closely aligned with mine.  Obviously, I don't expect everything to go my way but I would want a program that can support me and provide the flexibility so I can study on my specific areas of focus.  I don't think anybody here would go to a program that isn't a good fit for them, so that's the way I see that.   

It'd suck if that was indeed true because I've taken quite the effort to generate thoughtful replies....time that I could never get back.  Should I call the police and report a robbery of our time? lol

I really do appreciate all the responses here- it always helps to hear from other people and to get another perspective.  This is a difficult decision that will take some time for me to sort out.   

Trufflesalt, 

I'm 27 (unmarried, no kids, but I do have a long-term boyfriend) and I too questioned the sticker price at the college I'm attending in the fall. (Simmons). The most poigniant reason why I decided to go get my MSW is the 2007 College Cost Reduction and Access Act. I believe it directly applies to your situation and that of many grad students and recent graduates here.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 established a new public service loan forgiveness program. This program discharges any remaining debt after 10 years of full-time employment in public service. The borrower must have made 120 payments as part of the Direct Loan program in order to obtain this benefit. Only payments made on or after October 1, 2007 count toward the required 120 monthly payments. (Borrowers may consolidate into Direct Lending in order to qualify for this loan forgiveness program starting July 1, 2008.)

The public service loan forgiveness program has several restrictions:

• Term: The forgiveness occurs after 120 monthly payments made on or after October 1, 2007 on an eligible Federal Direct Loan. Periods of deferment and forbearance are not counted toward the 120 payments. Payments made before October 1, 2007 do not count. Likewise, only payments on a Federal Direct Loan are counted.

• What is forgiven? The remaining interest and principal are forgiven.

• Employment: The borrower must be employed full-time in a public service job for each of the 120 monthly payments. 

Source: http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml

Another source with info specific for LCSWs/MSWs, etc: http://www.socialworkers.org/loanforgiveness/default.asp

Thank you, I'll have to look into this!

Trufflesalt,

Though I'm glad to hear that you're not a "troll", I'm still confused as to why you're so insistent upon attending NYU when there ARE cheaper and just as good alternative schools that offer well-known MSW programs.  Please explain why you're still willing to force your husband to completely uproot himself all so that you can become an LCSW in NYC and attend one of the most expensive universities?  New York City is NOT cheap.  I lived in a one bedroom apartment about 2 hrs north of NYC and I paid over $1200 alone in rent.  I currently live in Boston and the median rent for a one bedroom apartment is $1700 a month.  NYC is much more expensive than Boston.  You'd be lucky if you could find a closet in NYC for rent, and the fact that you have a child means you'll require at least a 2 bdr apartment.  Unless you're willing to live a couple hours north of NYC and commute to and from school, it'll be impossible for you and your family to survive while you're incurring $$$$ of debt at NYU (not to mention the hellish cost-of-living in NYC).  But hey if you're willing to potentially run your family to bankruptcy all for your selfish ambitions without considering your family's needs and cheaper alternatives, then go for it.  In all honesty, what you're considering and forcing your husband to do is bound for failure.  Trust me I've lived in the northeast for the past 7 years.  Should you decide to attend NYU and move your family to NY or NYC for that matter, you're in for a VERY rude awakening.  I'm not trying to be an asshole or tell you what you should do, but if I see someone steering towards a cliff, I'm going to at least wave my hands in hopes to prevent a tragedy.

Edited by nightwolf1129