Is an LCSW worth it?

I agree that moving to NYC would be quite a challenge and is asking a lot for her family, but Nightwolf, you sound judgmental and rude. I hope when you start working with people during school you have some more tact when giving advice.

Edited by Kristopher

Kristopher,

Have you taken the time to read this entire forum post from the very beginning?  The OP had posed a question (e.g. "Is an LCSW worth it?") and provided a lot of background information regarding her family situation, school she wants to apply to, talks she's had with her husband and his doubts, fears, and concerns.  Now granted I could've overlooked the glaring problems and simply said "Yes an LCSW is worth it" and left it at that; however, all of my posts come from personal experience.  I've lived in New York and I currently live in Boston.  I too am married and had it not been for the VA program that's funding me through grad school, I wouldn't be able to pursue grad school for the simple fact that my wife doesn't want to incur anymore student loan debt.  So am I judgmental and "rude" for rementioning the problems that may very well occur if the OP does in fact decide to move her family to NYC and attend NYU?  Because if you've read the forum post in its entirety it seems as though she's still determined to attend NYU.  Now yes just because someone elicits (or solicits) advice doesn't mean the other person has to take it to heart; however, as I mentioned in my previous post, if I see someone steering towards a cliff I'm going to try and do what I can to prevent a tragedy from happening.  I simply want Trufflesalt, in this case, to succeed.  Sometimes the best advice is the advice someone may not want to hear.  As someone who was in the military, sometimes you have to be a little more "in your face".

Trufflesalt,

But hey if you're willing to potentially run your family to bankruptcy all for your selfish ambitions without considering your family's needs and cheaper alternatives, then go for it.  In all honesty, what you're considering and forcing your husband to do is bound for failure.

There are better ways to offer advice without having to resort to calling someone you don't know or have a relationship with "selfish". You have a condescending tone and if you think that because that kind of in your face attitude works in the military it will work with someone you don't know, then you are going to learn the hard way how inaccurate that is.

I have read the entire thread, and I even responded to her earlier. I don't disagree with your facts about cost of living, but it's not your job to try and correct her behavior and thoughts by being in her face, what's best for you may not be best for her. You give advice and leave it at that. No need to condescend someone or call them selfish. What works in the military doesn't work with strangers online nor will it work well in the field.

Edited by Kristopher

The only reason I used the word "selfish" was because it seems as though she's putting her own personal desires ahead of what might be best for her family.  As someone who's married, I'm no longer making decisions solely for me but my decisions have consequences (both positive and negative) that will affect my wife and vice versa.  Some of what Trufflesalt had said concerned me which was why I brought it up.  Yes you are absolutely correct Kristopher in that my job is not to try and correct her behavior nor tell her what she should do.  I will be honest that it's often difficult for me to simply give advice and leave it at that especially when I can see the potential and/or actual damaging effects.  I apologize if my words/actions came across as rude, condescending, or inconsiderate.  I guess that due to my upbringing (my father was in the military) and my own experience of being in the military, I'm not someone who necessarily sugar coats and I will often call something as I see it.  Obviously my approach is not welcomed and/or appreciated by some; however, I believe that many of the issues that arise which require the interceding of social workers (e.g., homelessness, substance abuse, etc.) may require "tough love."  During my senior year as an undergrad I interned under an intensive case manager who was a male and his approach with his clients was from a "tough love" perspective.  I saw the benefits of that especially when many of his clients were extremely manipulative.  So with that said, I've said my peace and I will do just that---leave it be. 

• 1 year later...

The LCSW is totally worth it. My sister took it and is now making almost double of what she made before, and I have an offer for more money as soon as I pass the test. I would recommend getting an LCSW to anyone.

Edited by TakeruK
removed advertisement