PhD vs. MS?

Hi Everyone!

I've been looking into possibly going for my PhD over my masters, but I'm not entirely sure if this is the route I want to take. Do any of you know the different kinds of jobs in CSD one with a PhD could obtain other than becoming aUniversity professor? Also, which programs offer both PhD and clinical certification? I've been trying to do my research, but inevitably everything just starts to blur together and I was wondering if anyone here had and personal experiences or advice they could share with me.

Thank you!

I'm actually considering this and also to create bilingual programs for the graduate schools. One of my professors told me you could get your C's and a PhD and do both research and clinical work to the side. I wouldn't pursue a PhD unless academia was in your mind at some point. For me, I'm interested in researching bilingualism/multilingualism on speech and language development :)

Last application cycle, I applied to both MS and PhD programs, slightly uncertain about what I wanted to pursue. I ended up choosing the PhD route because I am primarily interested in a specific topic in speech pathology and wanted to research it more. Overall, there is a high demand for PhDs in the field. While PhDs typically become, university professors, they can also serve as advisors and researchers for ETS, NSF, and the NIH. 

I would solidly endorse the PhD route if you are interested in gaining a deep understanding of a very specific aspect in speech pathology and/or you are interested in developing methodologies used in the field. I would suggest the MS route if you are just interested in being a clinician and working with patients. 

Overall, it is highly encouraged to get C's with your PhD; however, I haven't seen too many combined programs. Those I have seen are: 

UWisc-Madison: http://www.comdis.wisc.edu/current-msphd-overview.htm 

UMinnesota: http://www.slhs.umn.edu/grad/maphd.html

Boston University: http://www.bu.edu/academics/sar/programs/speech-language-hearing-sciences/ms-phd/ 

Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience.

I am in a similar boat. I want my CCCs but my ultimate goal is to work in language/literacy research. I need to continue looking into programs that offer both. Alternatively, I might do a MA/MS with CCCs and then apply for a PhD.

Last application cycle, I applied to both MS and PhD programs, slightly uncertain about what I wanted to pursue. I ended up choosing the PhD route because I am primarily interested in a specific topic in speech pathology and wanted to research it more. Overall, there is a high demand for PhDs in the field. While PhDs typically become, university professors, they can also serve as advisors and researchers for ETS, NSF, and the NIH. 

I would solidly endorse the PhD route if you are interested in gaining a deep understanding of a very specific aspect in speech pathology and/or you are interested in developing methodologies used in the field. I would suggest the MS route if you are just interested in being a clinician and working with patients. 

Overall, it is highly encouraged to get C's with your PhD; however, I haven't seen too many combined programs. Those I have seen are: 

UWisc-Madison: http://www.comdis.wisc.edu/current-msphd-overview.htm 

UMinnesota: http://www.slhs.umn.edu/grad/maphd.html

Boston University: http://www.bu.edu/academics/sar/programs/speech-language-hearing-sciences/ms-phd/ 

Hope this helps!

I have also heard that it makes sense to get an MA/MS, work for some time, and then apply to PHD programs. Is this true?

I have heard this advice from professors, but they normally say it conditionally (ie it really depends on the student's goals). The MS and the PhD paths are two very different things, and one does not necessarily prepare for the other. If your ultimate goal is research, then you should go straight for the PhD. If your ultimate goal is to work primarily as a clinician, but do research on the side then getting your C's, working for a bit, and later going to a PhD would be the best option. Basically, your career goals determine the amount of time you spend in your research training and your clinical training.  

What if your short-term goal is clinical work with research, and your long-term goal is research?  :mellow:

Granted, I've had considerable research experience post-bacc, so... Who knows. I feel like getting my MA/MS before PhD would make me more experienced and well-informed.

I have heard this advice from professors, but they normally say it conditionally (ie it really depends on the student's goals). The MS and the PhD paths are two very different things, and one does not necessarily prepare for the other. If your ultimate goal is research, then you should go straight for the PhD. If your ultimate goal is to work primarily as a clinician, but do research on the side then getting your C's, working for a bit, and later going to a PhD would be the best option. Basically, your career goals determine the amount of time you spend in your research training and your clinical training.

Thank you! I know I want to be a clinician to start, and even if I'm a researcher I would ideally like to have a practice, so hopefully I can make this work!

What if your short-term goal is clinical work with research, and your long-term goal is research?  :mellow:

I think if your ultimate goal has anything to do with research, pursuing a PhD should be the priority. It also depends on how you want to integrate clinical work with your research. I've met many researchers without their C's who focus on clinical research. But if you want to also treat patients while doing research, you definitely need your C's.

I've actually met a few students who have pursued the MS and the PhD concurrently, even though it is not a formal track in their program (although they say it was extremely difficult because of the heavy course loads and balancing the CFY with doctoral research!)

Isn't that hard to get into PHD programs as PHD has very few seats as compared to MA/MS even though masters is so competitive to get in now a days?

PhD programs are very difficult to get into, but I would say MA/MS admissions is more competitive. Typical PhD programs only have 3-5 seats per year (sometimes less or more depending on the resources of the department). However, there are less applicants vying for PhD slots (in the smaller, lesser-known programs only receive 10-15 applications for these 3-5 spots). In comparison almost every person with an undergraduate degree in SLP or CSD is seeking out clinical training from a MA/MS program. 

I've been preparing for a doctoral level program for the past 2 years, but I want to get my CCCs first. I might also want to get my PhD in Education, so I'm not 100% decided on that yet.

I think if your ultimate goal has anything to do with research, pursuing a PhD should be the priority. It also depends on how you want to integrate clinical work with your research. I've met many researchers without their C's who focus on clinical research. But if you want to also treat patients while doing research, you definitely need your C's.

I've actually met a few students who have pursued the MS and the PhD concurrently, even though it is not a formal track in their program (although they say it was extremely difficult because of the heavy course loads and balancing the CFY with doctoral research!)

PhD programs are very difficult to get into, but I would say MA/MS admissions is more competitive. Typical PhD programs only have 3-5 seats per year (sometimes less or more depending on the resources of the department). However, there are less applicants vying for PhD slots (in the smaller, lesser-known programs only receive 10-15 applications for these 3-5 spots). In comparison almost every person with an undergraduate degree in SLP or CSD is seeking out clinical training from a MA/MS program. 

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't that hard to get into PHD programs as PHD has very few seats as compared to MA/MS even though masters is so competitive to get in now a days?

Although it is typically difficult there is an extreme shortage of students going for PhDs in Speech and Audiology, so as long as you have a decent idea nd good academics, I'd say a good amount of PhD programs (in those areas) might take you. All my teachers are saying that if you're at least interested to consider doing it sometime down the road as there aren't many researchers and many teachers will be retiring soon (and a good amount of universities ask for PhDs to teach/do research).

• 7 months later...