what are my chances? In order to plan ahead

NanoWater

This might be a little soon, but I feel that I need some advice, or maybe just reassurance about my plans.

Though I'm a little concerned as the amount of information I'm giving here that can easily disclose who I am...

Apologies in advance for the long post!

I have a very deep interest in the water treatment field, specifically membrane processes (so many things that i find interesting as sub-fields! so I'll have to stay very general here).

Background: Im going to graduate from a dual B.Sc program in chemistry and chemical engineering from the Ben-Gurion University by July 2015.

I expect my average will be around 90 for both degrees (on a 0-100 scale)

Didn't take the GRE yet, but I have a strong english background (english speaking family), and seeing the level of the mathematics on the GRE I feel I'll do just fine as long as I put enough time into studying before the GRE. (I did really well in an israel exam which is similar to the SAT's in concept, in all parts of it: Q, hebrew verbal and english verbal)

I have 17 months of research experience under a faculty member from the chemical engineering department. Did alot of work there, nothing published yet but supposedly an article is due to get published, and last i've heard I'm listed in the authors list - of course, not as first author. In terms of what I did: some surface chemical reactions, running FTIR measurements and conducting a migration test for particles inside polymer films over a long period of time by UV-Vis.

I've started working as a research assistant at the water institude in my university about 6 months ago. I'm still getting the hang of things but as soon as I finish my exams I'll have 3 full months working full time, in which I plan learning as much as I can, so I can manage to do more serious research done throughout my last undergrad year.

My plan is going for an M.Sc, probably under the faculty members I work for at the moment. (there are two of them, and I must say I feel very comfortable working under them, in terms of learning things, but mostly in terms of human relations! they're both very nice)

The M.Sc will be either in environmental engineering or in "Hydrology and Water Quality" with specialization in desalination and water treatment.

M.Sc subject might be closer to water treatment methods that are based on electric fields, so I will have a broader background

Non-academic background: I've been working in tutoring for the past 3 years, the first as a youth tutor in sciences and nature, the last 2 tutoring high-school mathematics in a special online program. Apart from that I've been a counselor for first year students from that are a part of a program in which the go to university before joining the army (mind you, in israel you study only after your army service). I've been a counselor in this program for the past 3 years.

I have no idea about the number of publications I'll have by the time I finish M.Sc studies, but I think taking a guess at at least 1 as first author, and another one not as first author won't be that far-off, seeing as i'm already working where I'll go for M.Sc.

First question: is there any real significance for choosing one M.Sc program or the other?

In both options I'll take some graduate courses that relate my field of interest, but as far as I know, the mathematical part of the environmental engineering M.Sc seems better fitted as I want to continue towards a phd in engineering (more on that up ahead). On the other hand, seeing as I didn't grow and learn in an american institude, I'll have to take the TOEFL. The school under which the water institude is included is considered an international school and courses are being thought in english - so if I go there I won't need to take the TOEFL.

Second question: I've already looked at researchers that work in the field, and I have a couple that I find very appealing. The institudes I'm looking into include Yale, UCLA, Harvard, UofMich, UofChicago, UCBerkeley, UT Austin,  University of Wisconsin - Madison and some others. How realistic is it for me to get into any of these schools? This is regarding chemical\environmental engineering departments mostly.

To be honest, I know of connections between my current work of place and some of the researchers I've looked at, so it might be possible for me to meet some of them in person.

Third question: Is having an american citizenship mean anything when applying to grad school considering I never lived in the states? Will I be considered an international student?

I finally mentioned this long term plan of study for a phd in the states in front of one of the researchers I work for, but didn't really go into it as the talk was a casual talk about my options at BGU (M.Sc\phd\direct phd) and I felt as if I was running ahead of myself. In general, I feel that if I go and ask around and consult with faculty about my plans, I'd be looked at as someone who's looking too far ahead instead of focusing on the present.

I'm also afraid of being told I'm unrealistic with my plans...

Apart from that I don't want to disrespect the researchers I work for, I don't know how they'll react when they know for sure I'm only planning on staying for the M.Sc (though, if I don't get exepted into any program in the states, I'll stay for a phd most probably at the same place)

I'll appreciate any kind of advice!

Edited by NanoWater