Don't study too hard (GRE) My Study Plan

hnotis

That is what all the smarties in my life are telling me (with the one exception of my undergrad adviser, whom I admire very much).  But I think that's probably the best advice.  My plan of study is to:

1. Read the Official Guide to the GRE revised General Test cover to cover

2. Do all the practice problems as I read

3. Do the practice tests from the Guide

4. Review what I don't know/never really learned in the Manhattan Prep book for Geometry

5. Do the online practice tests from Manhatten prep

6. Use my GRE vocab app on my phone every day

Other than that, I don't think there's really much else I can do.  I can't afford to take a class and I think it would a waste of a large amount of money if I did anyway.  I'm really feeling as though exposure to the questions types and formats is really what's helping me the most.  Doing the practice problems is really sharpening my skills. 

I haven't completely decided when I will be taking the test by I'm debating between September and November.  September would be nice to just get it done and out of the way early in the Fall semester of my last undergrad year.  November would be nice to add extra study time.  Either way, I'm not gonna retake it.  If I bomb it, then I'm probably not ready for Grad school and I should take another year to consider my life choices.  Plus, I am not going to drop $400 in one year on one silly standardized test.  Also, I refuse to take in October because October is my favorite month because of my anniversary and Halloween and I wouldn't want to taint my joy with test anxiety.

The real point I'm trying to make is that I plan to update this post with my results based on my study plan so as to serve as an either "do" or "don't" story for future GRE takers. 

Wish me luck!  And feel free to provide me with any input you may have based on your experience and evaluation of my plan!

I advise to always focus on two categories for the GRE math:

1) Algebra and operations with radicals and fractions.

2) Integers and number properties.

Why?

Because algebra and operations are at the core of 95% of GRE math questions. If you don't have your algebra down pat, you will not break 160. It is as simple as that. The GRE isn't hard math, but they try to trick you. One of the ways they trick you is simplification, rearranging, or factoring variables/radicals/fractions/ect. You need to have the mind for this, not just memorize techniques. You will only perfect this by drilling it and doing a lot of algebra questions.

The GRE loves integer and number properties questions. Counting/combinations, prime factorization, GCD, LCM, multiples, ect. These questions are everywhere. 

I wouldn't spend much time focusing on geometry. Geometry is basic if you know your algebra and your basic geometric tricks. 

I do think you can study for the GRE, especially math, as the GRE is partial to certain mathematics.  I didn't bother studying, thinking the GRE is more a 'keep out' number than a 'you're in' number.  I got 163V, 156Q which I think is decent for my field, a foreign language, and will enable me to make my case for admission based on my charming wit, pithy writing, and gracious interviewing. 

Edited by eyepod

Thanks for the input guys!

@victory dance, I think you're right about making those a priority to study.  Fortunately, as a former math ed major/general math nerd, I have the mind for that kind of stuff and I'm pretty solid on those types of problems.  The only reason I think I need to brush up on Geometry is because I never learned most of it in the first place.  I went straight into trig so I have the Pythagorean theorem and stuff like that down, but I never learned the simpler stuff (liked those gemoetric tricks you mentioned).

@eyepod, I think the same goes for my field (Communication).  But I've also been told that high GRE scores help with getting TA positions, which I need more than anything.  So therefore, some ass-busting in necessary!

Dang! I need a TA position too.  It sounds like you should do fine, seeing as you have the math background. Your photo is really amusing. 

Edited by eyepod

I didn't do any of that. I downloaded a couple GRE apps, and spent 10-15 a day (waiting for class to start, whenever) practicing. If there was something that really gave me trouble I looked it up. That was for about a month or two before the test. Week before I took a practice test online, and reviewed my few misses. 

Thanks for the input guys!

@victory dance, I think you're right about making those a priority to study.  Fortunately, as a former math ed major/general math nerd, I have the mind for that kind of stuff and I'm pretty solid on those types of problems.  The only reason I think I need to brush up on Geometry is because I never learned most of it in the first place.  I went straight into trig so I have the Pythagorean theorem and stuff like that down, but I never learned the simpler stuff (liked those gemoetric tricks you mentioned).

@eyepod, I think the same goes for my field (Communication).  But I've also been told that high GRE scores help with getting TA positions, which I need more than anything.  So therefore, some ass-busting in necessary!

I was the exact same way... I was a math major in college but I reviewed a few geometry tricks that I hadn't looked at since middle school. I also studied those questions where they say "which of the following are factors of REALLY HUGE NUMBER" and then the choices are a)2^5, b)3^10 etc. For some reason those tripped me up at first but then I figured out that they just wanted you to factor the initial number down to primes to answer the question. That and geometry where pretty much the only concepts that I looked at for math. I used magoosh to study and those math questions are harder than the actual test so I came in very prepared. My first practice scores fell around 163Q and I ended up with 168Q on the actual test.

For verbal, I did lots of practice questions because getting into the mind of the test creators really helped me narrow down answers. I memorized 250 vocab words with magoosh's app. Memorizing the words made a huge difference for me. My original practice scores were in the low 150s for V and I got 162V on the actual test. I have actually seen the words appear in research papers since memorizing them so the vocab wasnt a waste of time at all.

For me, a slow and steady approach to studying was really beneficial. I really did not sacrifice much time studying... I looked at the vocab app whenever I was waiting for appointments or sitting on the couch watching TV. I'd say I looked at the words for 15-30 mins at a time, a few times a week, for about 4 months. Other than that, I spent a couple hours a week, on a Saturday afternoon for example, doing practice questions. I wasnt strict with a study schedule... I just studied when I had extra time or wanted a break from school work. You dont have to sacrifice a lot of time to study but consistantly looking at the questions over a few month long period really helped me get used to the types of questions that are asked. Also, the ETS practice tests were VERY accurate for me, within a couple points of my actual scores.

eyepod, Amusing, how so?

I think the responses to your posts will now decrease.  And it seems you have been studying too much for the GRE.

I used magoosh to study and those math questions are harder than the actual test so I came in very prepared. 

Magoosh questions are screwed up. I usually get 90% on the easy and medium questions, but the hard and very hard questions destroy me. And it seems like there are twice as many of them as the easy and medium ones.

That being said, I think how much studying time you put into the GRE is all relative to how much free time you have and how much you want/need it.

I don't have a job, am done my undergrad, and live in a foreign country for kicks. I spend about 20-30 hours a week on a strict 6 month schedule. Why? Because I can, and at the end of the day I know it is only going to help me. My math skills have improved two-fold in the last 3 months or so.

I was good at math in high school but haven't really touched it since besides a relatively simple quantitative measure in my honours thesis. I scored a 148 two years ago on the quant section, I need at least a 160 to jump through the hoop for my applications. I have time and am willing to put in the work. Right now I am scoring in the 155 range after putting in 3 months of work. I have another 3 months to get it to where I want.

I have a pretty solid application, but my GPA isn't fabulous and I am applying to very competitive schools. If I can get a decent GRE score, then I am as competitive as anyone else who is applying. 

I think the responses to your posts will now decrease.  And it seems you have been studying too much for the GRE.

What does that have to do with my original photo of myself being amusing?  What does that have to do with anything?

May I ask how many words did you approximately conquer and what your score was in the GRE, I am quite weak with English as the maths section on the other hand was average for me.

@OP your approach is the best. I studied so hard for the quants and ended up getting 152 despite putting in more than 10x more effort than verbal on which in scored 162.

Wish I hadn't wasted my time

@victorydance this isn't an argumentative essay. That interpretation up to you.

Edited by bbdd2

A good plan is useful for when you first start out.

Of course as you go along, if you find yourself excelling in one section, and struggling in another, re-balance your time.  Do not be robotic to another persons advise on how to study for the GRE.  You will enter with different strengths, excel at a different pace, and struggle differently than others.

I would agree that for most people taking a class (even more so given cost) isn't needed, unless you find yourself struggling past a point of self-improvement and are still not satisfied with your score..

Edited by |||

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to familiarize yourself with all the question types.  There are not that many question types.  You should know what these types are so that you can save time during the exam.  I think taking practice tests is important because the exam will only give you the hardest questions if you get the easy ones correct.