Deciding on Chemistry PhD

morganc2

I started my undergraduate career as a pre-med Spanish major, then switched to a pre-dental Sociology major, and now I'm adding a Chemistry major to graduate with a double-major in Sociology & Chemistry. I switched my plans after taking Organic Chemistry and loving it. I am technically going to be a senior in Fall 2014, but since I am adding a Chemistry major I have to stay an extra year to finish Chemistry coursework.

That said, I am very behind in terms of research and publications compared to other Chemistry majors at my school. I have tons of research experience in Sociology, although I know this is meaningless given my plans in Chem. Since I want to apply as early as possible (next summer) I want to do all I can to get more research experience. Here is what I have planned: 

1. I am currently working as a lab assistant in a start-up pharmaceutical company's R&D lab doing mostly analytical and QC work.

2. I plan to be a lab assistant in the fall in a professor's organic lab.

3. I will be interning in the fall at the Chemical Heritage Foundation, which is kind of a combination of Sociology and Chemistry (if that's possible) where I will be assisting in interviews with industrial/academic Chemists about their experience in Chemistry to examine the social implications of advancements in Chemistry over time.

4. Next spring semester (2015), I will take the first of two courses of independent research, doing faculty advised research over the course of 15 weeks. 

5. Also in Spring 2015, I hope to intern or shadow at an industrial lab near school (i.e. FMC, Merck, etc) depending on what is available.

6. Next summer, I plan to participate in a government/university sponsored REU, work as a lab assistant again, or undergo research at my college along with a professor.

So, these are all different ways that I plan to get my feet wet with research. I doubt I will be able to publish anything by the time I apply, but maybe. Altogether this would total to about 1 year of research experience, which seems like nothing compared to others. My current GPA is a 3.45, but it is going up (I did not care much about school during my first two years) and I plan for it to be around 3.6 by the time I apply. Haven't taken the GRE's yet...

Advice? 

My advice is that it seems like you are trying to do WAY too much in a year or two. Instead of doing so many different things, I recommend getting involved with 1 lab and dedicating 20 hours a week to it. That will expose you to research way more than doing so many different things and only being able to dedicate a few hours a week to each.

My advice is that it seems like you are trying to do WAY too much in a year or two. Instead of doing so many different things, I recommend getting involved with 1 lab and dedicating 20 hours a week to it. That will expose you to research way more than doing so many different things and only being able to dedicate a few hours a week to each.

This sounds like the way to go to me, I'd add to it that the work you're doing for the start up is where I'd probably stay if I was you. They're paying you, right? Non-academic research is still valued and you can't overlook that you're getting paid for it. The point of research experience is that you know what you're getting yourself into and still want to pursue a research degree. Alternatively, you could take a year off after undergrad if you can keep the lab assistant job and then apply. When I was interviewing for PhD programs it was about a 50:50 split between those who were still in undergrad and those who have graduated and the professors spoke favorably of those who had some time between their BS and graduate school.

Thanks for the replies. I have to intern at the CHF next fall as apart of my Sociology major curriculum and I think I will follow your advice and assist in the same professor's lab for the whole academic year, in addition to independent research in the spring. I am getting paid at the start up company and they did offer me a job for after I graduate. Although I do like working here, I'm not being exposed to a lot of Organic Chem or academic research. Taking a year off is something to consider. 

How long have you been working at the start-up?  Maybe you can ask about switching roles in the company.  This might get you closer to organic.  I like your new plan.  Stick with the same orgo prof, the requisite CHF internship and look into a more organic-related role at the start-up.  Since they like you, they might be pretty flexible.