What am I up against? What is realistic? POLISCI

kylesnav

Hello,

I have been sure of my decision to pursue a Ph.D. for about a year now. I am graduating a year early from the University of Arizona majoring in Middle East and North African studies, minoring in Arabic and Political Science. Though it can change, I currently have a 4.0 and have yet to take the GRE. I plan to pursue Political Science (International Relations) in graduate school given that Middle East Studies programs seem to not offer a strong focus on politics much less anything modern. My research interests involve the role of Shi'i Islamism particularly within Lebanon, Political Islam in a more general capacity, counterterrorism/security, and the all of the aforementioned in its relation to the West. I'm not the most extracurricularly involved students, however I am in the Arabic Flagship Program, I am abroad in Jordan for the Summer, and was an undergraduate teaching assistant for a course in my program. Lastly, I have three strong letters of recommendation from Professors in my department whom which I are very familiar with my work, whether in language or politics.

Though I am proud of my achievements, all of my hopes are shattered when I look at current candidates who have had much more grandiose achievements. Thus I have several questions:

I have been offered admittance into several --pay $100 for admittance-- honor societies and am wondering if any are these are worth joining? As I imagine graduate schools see through these.

(I am sure you hate these questions but...) Are my chances realistic at any of the following schools (in order of my current preference): Georgetown, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, and the top tier Princeton, Harvard, etc.? I would not take acceptance without funding, so -- I'm not sure if that changes the answer.

Am I correct in saying that being a Middle East Studies major may be beneficial when it comes to regional knowledge and research interest? Or would I have been better off majoring in Political Science?

Lastly, should I drop the Political Science minor (though I would still have 15/18 required credits for the minor) to take a year of Persian? My Arabic studies focus on Modern Standard / written Arabic and I will be confident in my research ability in Arabic after graduation, yet would love to pursue another language.

Thank you.

-Note: I realize after reading this that this is the most cliche "What are my chances?" post, however I really have no idea what to expect as far as to what's realistic. Don't hate me.

I'm just popping in to say don't bother throwing your money away on those honor societies. Also to say that your GPA is damn good and I think you'd have a shot at top programs.

Do you have any research experience? Did you do an honours thesis? You didn't mention any research experience and that would be a major weakness.

Screw the Persian, a year of Persian at university isn't going to give you nothing but very rudimentary skills. I would say take as much poli sci as possible. 

I don't think your major matters too much either way (a benefit or hindrance). Regional expertise might be more helpful for a comparativist rather than a prospective IR. However, ultimately what matters is how well you can show you know (1) what your research interests and prospective lines of inquiry and (2) you have a firm knowledge of the subfield and can express that in a pithy way on your SOP. 

I would stay away from any LORs from language teachers. They don't mean squat to political science admission committees. 

Edited by victorydance

Do you have any research experience? Did you do an honours thesis? You didn't mention any research experience and that would be a major weakness.

Screw the Persian, a year of Persian at university isn't going to give you nothing but very rudimentary skills. I would say take as much poli sci as possible. 

I don't think your major matters too much either way (a benefit or hindrance). Regional expertise might be more helpful for a comparativist rather than a prospective IR. However, ultimately what matters is how well you can show you know (1) what your research interests and prospective lines of inquiry and (2) you have a firm knowledge of the subfield and can express that in a pithy way on your SOP. 

I would stay away from any LORs from language teachers. They don't mean squat to political science admission committees. 

This is true, it may be a bit late in the game to jump into a new language just prior to graduation.

I have no formalized research experience. However, I took a 400/500 level hybrid class in which we wrote a substantial research paper composed of an abstract, secondary literature review, primary literature review, and the application of a pre-existing theoretical framework (Bourdieu's sociological concept of cultural capital) to our thesis. This is also the paper I had been planning to use for my writing sample.

I definitely have moderately specific interests and a grasp on some of the work being done within them now, however my primary concern is as you said, [research] experience.