GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.83
Position in Class: I'd assume pretty high
Type of Student: Adult learner/Non-trad, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162
V: 151
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 2 years doing microbe-plant interactions in Undergrad. Just started as a research associate at a top tier University doing microbial pathogenesis.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  President of a Women in Math and Sciences society.

Applying to Where:

Microbiology programs:

Cornell

Yale

Rutgers

University of Georgia

UC Berkeley

UWisc - Madison

Edited by pachydermatus

Apologies for the re-post but I never received any feedback! 

Undergrad Institution: Large State School (Research Institution). 
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Peace Studies
GPA in Major: 3.13
Overall GPA: 3.12
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: Domestic Female; First Generation College Student

Q: 162
V: 158
W: 5

Research Experience: 3 (will be 4) Full years at home institute: 1 year in a Freshman Research In plant sciences program. 1 year without a program. 1 summer training visiting undergrads. 1 year as a McNair Scholar. And participating in a HHMI Fellowship for my senior year. I have been working in the same lab for all of those programs and I have a project that I have presented on multiple times. 

1 Summer at a large state School in a summer research opportunities program at a CIC school. Personally designed and executed the research proposal. Being used for rotation students in the lab I was working with currently. 

Recognition/ Presentations : Paper "published" in our Regional McNair Journal. 

3 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation at my home university. 

1 poster presentation at the State Capitol 

1 oral presentation at the MKN Regional Conference-McNair

1 poster presentation and 1 oral presentation at the Mid-SURE conference in Michigan (Undergraduate specific) 

1 poster presentation at the American Society of Plant Biologists Annual Meeting

At least one more poster presentation next year. 

1 Travel Grant to Attend a Wheat summit in Mexico 

2 Travel Grants to attend the ASPB Meeting

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Summer intern/ Educator at a Nature Center 

Responsible for training new undergraduates in the lab every year. 

Special Bonus Points: Connections at 3 schools of interest. 3 VERY strong letters of recommendation and 1 good. All from faculty. 2 from faculty I have conducted research under. 

BIGGEST CONCERN: My GPA.

Applying to Where:

Penn State: Plant Biology and BMMB 

University of Missouri- Biochemistry 

UC Davis- PBGG 

Michigan State University- BMS and Pant Biology 

Cornell- Pant Biology 

UC Riverside- Botany and Plant Sciences 

Oregon State- Botany ad Plant Pathology 

UMass Amherst- Plant Biology 

Apologies for the re-post but I never received any feedback!

Undergrad Institution: Large State School (Research Institution).

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s): Peace Studies

GPA in Major: 3.13

Overall GPA: 3.12

Position in Class: Average

Type of Student: Domestic Female; First Generation College Student

Q: 162

V: 158

W: 5

Research Experience: 3 (will be 4) Full years at home institute: 1 year in a Freshman Research In plant sciences program. 1 year without a program. 1 summer training visiting undergrads. 1 year as a McNair Scholar. And participating in a HHMI Fellowship for my senior year. I have been working in the same lab for all of those programs and I have a project that I have presented on multiple times.

1 Summer at a large state School in a summer research opportunities program at a CIC school. Personally designed and executed the research proposal. Being used for rotation students in the lab I was working with currently.

Recognition/ Presentations : Paper "published" in our Regional McNair Journal.

3 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation at my home university.

1 poster presentation at the State Capitol

1 oral presentation at the MKN Regional Conference-McNair

1 poster presentation and 1 oral presentation at the Mid-SURE conference in Michigan (Undergraduate specific)

1 poster presentation at the American Society of Plant Biologists Annual Meeting

At least one more poster presentation next year.

1 Travel Grant to Attend a Wheat summit in Mexico

2 Travel Grants to attend the ASPB Meeting

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Summer intern/ Educator at a Nature Center

Responsible for training new undergraduates in the lab every year.

Special Bonus Points: Connections at 3 schools of interest. 3 VERY strong letters of recommendation and 1 good. All from faculty. 2 from faculty I have conducted research under.

BIGGEST CONCERN: My GPA.

Applying to Where:

Penn State: Plant Biology and BMMB

University of Missouri- Biochemistry

UC Davis- PBGG

Michigan State University- BMS and Pant Biology

Cornell- Pant Biology

UC Riverside- Botany and Plant Sciences

Oregon State- Botany ad Plant Pathology

UMass Amherst- Plant Biology

I'm at Penn State right now (BMMB) and I would say your research experience should weigh out your lower GPA for mid-tiers. If you have any questions about PSU in particular let me know. I rotated in a lab that also does Plant Bio so I have a basic understanding of that program too.

Good luck!!!

Applying to Where:

UC Merced - QSB 

UC Irvine - INP Neuro

UC Riverside - Neuro

Arizona State University - Neuro

University of Arizona - Neuro

Oregon Health and Science University - Neuro

University of Alabama at Birmingham - Neuro

Indiana School of Medicine - Neuro

UC Davis -Neuro

A word of caution about OHSU, I know some people there and from what I've heard they are very hesitant to accept students straight out of undergrad. They prefer accepting individuals that have a year or more post-baccalaureate research experience. I'm not sure what your situation is... its just something to think about. 

Bonez-

Just saw you are applying to Cincy...I did my undergrad there and am Currently working at CCHMC (where you'd be doing your research at). Let me know if you have any questions about the school, CCHMC, or the area in general.

A word of caution about OHSU, I know some people there and from what I've heard they are very hesitant to accept students straight out of undergrad. They prefer accepting individuals that have a year or more post-baccalaureate research experience. I'm not sure what your situation is... its just something to think about.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Well, I did graduate in May this year. Howerever, I am still going back for biochem and doing research. I indicated I'd be doing that in my SOP.

The only available date for GRE test is November 11. Is this time enough for score to reach the university before December 1 deadline?
Any advices

This is the information I got from the GRE website for the computer based GREs:

If you take the computer-delivered GRE revised General Test, your official scores will be available in your My GRE account and sent to the institutions you designated approximately 10–15 days after your test date.

You can report your scores to the institutions on the day of your GRE test date but it will still take 10-15 days to get to the institution.  It's unclear whether this means business days or not.  Either way, you'd be cutting it close for a Dec. 1st deadline.

I would expect the 10-15 days to mean business days. It probably won't be late, but at the very least I'd contact any program you're applying to with a December 1st deadline to give them a head's up. They may be willing to look the other way if ETS gives it late, they might not, but I can't imagine that it would harm you to let them know what's going on.

Just some advice from someone who went through the process last year:

1. Don't ever count yourself out from a particular school based on GPA, GRE scores, research experience, etc. I know plenty of people who were accepted at top programs with GPAs lower than 3.5 and plenty of people who were denied from programs with a perfect GPA.

2. Make sure you have three strong recommendation letters! Letters are by far the most important part of your application. Not all three letters have to be from previous research mentors (I went with 2 research mentors + a professor I was close with); however all three should be from professors who know you personally, know your motivations for attending graduate school, and can provide their own reasons as to why you would succeed in a graduate program.

3. Don't freak out over interviews! Interview weekends are by far the most fun you'll have throughout the entire process. Seriously, enjoy these weekends and use them to learn about the program and whether you fit in both personally and research-wise. It's very tempting to over-prepare and focus so much on nailing the interview that you act unnatural/not like yourself. If you are offered an interview at a school, that school already views you as someone who could succeed in graduate school, they just want to ensure that their program is the best fit for you (and vice versa).

Feel free to ask me any questions about the whole process! Have fun!

Undergrad Institution: International Research Institution

Major(s): Biology

Overall GPA: 2.95. 

Actually its 5.9/8. The conversion might not be so direct. But still its a pretty low GPA.

Type of Student: International Female

Q: 163
V: 159
W: 3.5 (So low...)

Toefl Score: 105 (R: 30, L: 29, S: 23, W: 23) 

The writing score is still not good.

Research Experience: Senior year research ongoing in Structural Computational Biology. 3 summers spent in projects in home institution, one of which was is plant molecular biology, the rest related to the current project. A 2nd author paper.

Applying to Where: 

(Definitely)

U. of California at San Francisco

U. of Washington

Washington U. in St. Louis

Baylor College of Medicine

Brandeis University

Scripps Research Institute

(Maybe)

U. of Pennsylvania

U. of California at Los Angeles

U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

The thing is with my very low GPA, I don't know whether I should be applying to so many top institutions. My GRE score isn't too good either. Please recommend some reach institutions I could apply to. 

•  
  •  
  •  

I am not an expert on the subject of applying to grad schools as I am doing the same thing, but a good portion of the ones I applied to require at least a 3.0 GPA. When you apply to any school, make sure you explain your GPA situation. I also don't know your life situation, but I know that a masters degree could help your resume and application by eliminating your undergrad GPA. If you can't afford to pay for the MS programs out there, then realize that you may be a little more limited in your choices. I myself have average gre scores: 152 verbal (54%), 153 quant (52%), 5.0 analytical (93%) but a decent 3.56 gpa and a second author publication, and I am not even considering any Ivy's. You can definitely apply to them, but do you think that your credentials are acceptable to Yale or Stanford? All in all, if a PhD is the ONLY option for you in your mind, than don't be as selective because you may not have a ton of opportunities out there. If you are willing to work towards a PhD by getting a Masters, you definitely could study and retake the GRE and change your GPA. Worst comes to worst you have a masters degree and you can work somewhere. Good luck.                      

I understand this. I have an option of continuing with my masters degree in my home institution. Therefore I am trying mostly for the top schools. But I would prefer if I got a PhD position, which is why I was asking about reach schools. I know with my present gpa it is very difficult for most places. Continuing with my masters seems inevitable at this point. Thanks anyway.

Undergrad Institution: Big State School - Selective Out of State

Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Domestic

Master's (MSc) in Switzerland in Developmental/Neuro Biology

GPA (5.38/6) or (3.59/4)

Q: 156 (70th)
V: 156 (71st)
W: 4.0 (50th) uggghhh
B:
I wanted to retake the GRE but I honestly do not have ANY time.

Research Experience:

1) 2 years undergraduate:

Worked pretty hard in a rat lab that studied neurogenesis - performed a senior thesis that went on to be published.

2) 1.5 years Masters student in Switzerland

Left the US to obtain an MSc in Switzerland (would highly recommend it, tuition is less than 1,000/semester) and to study circadian rhythms/learn more about molecular biology. Worked VERY hard and professors liked me and learned a lot. Wrote the manuscript for a paper that was then published.
3) Two summers:

Spent one summer working in a cognitive neuroscience lab (paid).

Spent another summer working in an animal facility of a super big-whig.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Resident assistant in college to help pay.

During my MSc, I was a laboratory instructor for undergraduate biochemistry students (in situ hybridization, gel electrophoresis, enzyme activity... etc...).

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

In all the labs I've worked in, I've always worked very hard and I know the professors will write be strong letters for recommendation. 

Applying to Where:
Neuroscience programs
Mount Sinai / University of Pittsburgh / Ohio State University / Stony Brook / Washington University in St. Louis (contacted POI and was told to apply) / University of Michigan / UC Irvine  / UNC Chapel Hill

Can anyone provide any advice/comment on my stats/offer opinions? Normally I would just post to get people to say that I had a good chance of getting in but I can't objectively rate myself and I really need some feedback. 

Edited by neuronsbeyondneurons2

Hi Guys, i might be a bit off topic but here i am. i am polish, studying in uk in top 60 biomed unis world. (bsc hons biomed -anatomy specialization. won as finalist Famelab competition, writing two pubs now- neuroendocrionology and neuroscience)in summer its likely that i will have internship with a great prof who was as well at Harvard and Massachusetts (neuroendocrinology), i am third year now (one more to go). My problem is that is that now my gpa is low/ been in and out uni, was serious ill ( necrosis of stomach, cancer) and my  close relative had stroke. there is still fourth year ahead of me, which in my uni actually just counts as a final grade ( mean 1,2 and 3 don't count), and i am really expected to achieve First (highest in UK), gre seems i am fine with, still learning thou.

I did correspond with unis and profs and many instead of copy/paste give me nice warm words with courage to apply. so guys what u think? what would you do in my place?

GPA (5.38/6) or (3.59/4)

B:

Research Experience:

Worked pretty hard in a rat lab that studied neurogenesis - performed a senior thesis that went on to be published.

Left the US to obtain an MSc in Switzerland (would highly recommend it, tuition is less than 1,000/semester) and to study circadian rhythms/learn more about molecular biology. Worked VERY hard and professors liked me and learned a lot. Wrote the manuscript for a paper that was then published.

3) Two summers:

During my MSc, I was a laboratory instructor for undergraduate biochemistry students (in situ hybridization, gel electrophoresis, enzyme activity... etc...).

In all the labs I've worked in, I've always worked very hard and I know the professors will write be strong letters for recommendation. 

Applying to Where:

Neuroscience programs

Mount Sinai / University of Pittsburgh / Ohio State University / Stony Brook / Washington University in St. Louis (contacted POI and was told to apply) / University of Michigan / UC Irvine  / UNC Chapel Hill

Can anyone provide any advice/comment on my stats/offer opinions? Normally I would just post to get people to say that I had a good chance of getting in but I can't objectively rate myself and I really need some feedback. 

I think you have a solid shot at all the places you listed, you didn't over or undershoot, which is a hard balance to strike. Your research experience and publications should make up for any GPA or GRE doubts committees may have. Can't wait to see your results!

Hi guys,

I'm slightly worried about my GRE writing score.. I'm seeing that most members who are posting here have a 4.5 or above and I scored a 4.0 (56%) the two times I took it...

My most recent scores are Q 158 (71%) and V 162 (89%) and my last scores were Q 161 (80%) and V 157(74%).

Even though my Q score decreased, I'm sending both set of scores to all schools hoping they'll take whichever set they deem best. Some schools allow you to report the best you earned in each section in the on-line self-reporting so I'm hoping they'll consider my improvement in the verbal section. 

The programs I'm applying to are UW MCB, UCSD Biomed, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, Northwestern, UIUC, and CU Boulder.  I'm aware of the cutoff for all these schools but they usually don't indicate the requirement for the Writing section.. 

I have ~3 years of research experience (at my undergrad institution, a med school research campus, and a governmental lab) and an overall GPA of 3.498. I'm taking a year off right now and just started job hunting, and hope to start volunteering in an immuno lab next month to keep myself busy in the mean time.

Does anyone know how schools look at the writing scores?

Edited by amethyst23

My writing score is worse than yours (3.0), but only one program I'm applying to looks at the GRE scores.

As far as I know, the writing portion is the last thing that admissions will consider when looking at the GRE (and the application package in general).

Edited by Dedi

To anyone worrying about GPA and GRE scores, it is 100% okay to ask the graduate admissions secretary or a POI at your potential programs how important these are. And that is pretty much the only way you will know whether you should worry about them. 

Neuronsbeyondneurons2: I think I would apply to some "reach" programs too -- you have a really good background in research, good grades, a passable GRE, and a masters. I would not be surprised one bit if you were considered at top programs in neuroscience (like Columbia, UCSF, etc.) with your background.

Dagmarak - Finish strong + get good letters and you shouldn't have a problem. Having two publications + research experience at Harvard + personal problems that you have overcome should overshadow a low GPA for a couple years. I would apply to PhD programs and see what happens. Worst case scenario is you take a year off and do a post-bacc/tech and apply the next year.

Amethyst - Writing scores won't hurt you unless it is under a 4.0 (and even then, if you have high verbal/publication/writing intensive classes it may not even matter). That is one of the last things that will go into a decision especially if you have a boat load of research experience + good letters.

Neuronsbeyondneurons2: I think I would apply to some "reach" programs too -- you have a really good background in research, good grades, a passable GRE, and a masters. I would not be surprised one bit if you were considered at top programs in neuroscience (like Columbia, UCSF, etc.) with your background.

Dagmarak - Finish strong + get good letters and you shouldn't have a problem. Having two publications + research experience at Harvard + personal problems that you have overcome should overshadow a low GPA for a couple years. I would apply to PhD programs and see what happens. Worst case scenario is you take a year off and do a post-bacc/tech and apply the next year.

Amethyst - Writing scores won't hurt you unless it is under a 4.0 (and even then, if you have high verbal/publication/writing intensive classes it may not even matter). That is one of the last things that will go into a decision especially if you have a boat load of research experience + good letters.

Any advice for my credentials? It was on page 16. It would be greatly appreciated.

GPA (5.38/6) or (3.59/4)

B:

Research Experience:

3) Two summers:

Applying to Where:

Neuroscience programs

Coming from someone at UNC, I think you have a very good chance at an interview

Appsitude cheers for reply. actually the guy is here in UK, but i know he worked for couple of years at harvard and Mass. as a ass. prof.

Which unis you think I should apply and have chances as international? i think of mostly neuroscience/ biomed/ anatomy but still i really like genetics and embryo/ devo

Any advice for my credentials? It was on page 16. It would be greatly appreciated.

Your GRE scores are a little concerning, especially since you're coming in with a psychology degree and your quant is a bit low. The lab experience is great and thankfully you did seek out coursework in biology and chemistry. All in all, as long as the program doesn't place high emphasis on the GRE you've got a good chance.