2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

First post ever - a little late but I figured why not.

Undergrad Institution: Mid-tier state school
Major(s): Neuroscience

Minor: Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.60
Position in Class: Not sure

Type of Student: Domestic, White Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162

V: 158
W: 4.5

Research Experience: Summer doing unrelated clinical research, two years in a cognitive neuroscience lab at my home institution, SURP program at a top university with a well known PI in systems neuroscience, and in my 2nd year as a lab tech/manager with a PI who is one of the most famous and largest contributors in systems/computational neuroscience.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fellowship for integrative brain research, scholarship for my home university, and dean's list most semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: As described above, 2nd year as a lab tech.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: No publications just yet. Audited multiple classes while working as a lab tech.

Special Bonus Points: As described above, my current PI is one of the most well respected neuroscientists in the field and his connections will be extremely helpful - my other PI in systems neuroscience is also somewhat of a big-shot.  I'll have very good recs.  Also, my research interests are already pretty developed and every school I apply to is a great fit for those interests. I've had some slight contact with professors at most of the schools I'm applying to.

Applying to Where:

Interested in systems/computational visual neuroscience and sensorimotor integration.

MIT - Neuroscience

Stanford - Neuroscience

Caltech - Neurobiology

UCSD - Neuroscience

John’s Hopkins - Neuroscience

University of Chicago - Neurobiology

Harvard - Neurobiology

UC Berkeley - Neuroscience

University of Washington - Neurobiology & Behavior

Columbia - Neuroscience

NYU - CNS

Duke - Neurobiology

No particular order, but I'm particularly interested in MIT, Stanford, Caltech, and UCSD.  Clearly my list is ambitious, especially when it's so hard to gauge how competitive I actually am (home institution, gpa, and GRE's are all a little subpar).  Any thoughts? Am I totally nuts?

First post ever - a little late but I figured why not.

Undergrad Institution: Mid-tier state school

Major(s): Neuroscience

Minor: Chemistry

GPA in Major: 3.75

Overall GPA: 3.60

Position in Class: Not sure

Type of Student: Domestic, White Male

V: 158

W: 4.5

Research Experience: Summer doing unrelated clinical research, two years in a cognitive neuroscience lab at my home institution, SURP program at a top university with a well known PI in systems neuroscience, and in my 2nd year as a lab tech/manager with a PI who is one of the most famous and largest contributors in systems/computational neuroscience.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fellowship for integrative brain research, scholarship for my home university, and dean's list most semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: As described above, 2nd year as a lab tech.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: No publications just yet. Audited multiple classes while working as a lab tech.

Special Bonus Points: As described above, my current PI is one of the most well respected neuroscientists in the field and his connections will be extremely helpful - my other PI in systems neuroscience is also somewhat of a big-shot.  I'll have very good recs.  Also, my research interests are already pretty developed and every school I apply to is a great fit for those interests. I've had some slight contact with professors at most of the schools I'm applying to.

Applying to Where:

Interested in systems/computational visual neuroscience and sensorimotor integration.

MIT - Neuroscience

Stanford - Neuroscience

Caltech - Neurobiology

UCSD - Neuroscience

John’s Hopkins - Neuroscience

University of Chicago - Neurobiology

Harvard - Neurobiology

UC Berkeley - Neuroscience

University of Washington - Neurobiology & Behavior

Columbia - Neuroscience

NYU - CNS

Duke - Neurobiology

No particular order, but I'm particularly interested in MIT, Stanford, Caltech, and UCSD.  Clearly my list is ambitious, especially when it's so hard to gauge how competitive I actually am (home institution, gpa, and GRE's are all a little subpar).  Any thoughts? Am I totally nuts?

The good rec letters + tech experience should help counteract your GPA (which isn't too bad actually) and your GRE scores. You may not go 12/12 on interviews, but I would be surprised if you didn't get an interview at at least one of your top choices.

The good rec letters + tech experience should help counteract your GPA (which isn't too bad actually) and your GRE scores. You may not go 12/12 on interviews, but I would be surprised if you didn't get an interview at at least one of your top choices.

That GPA is great, I don't think it needs to be counteracted, instead I think it's a selling point.

That GPA is great, I don't think it needs to be counteracted, instead I think it's a selling point.

Agreed, a 3.75 in your major is excellent, especially for a state school which are known to have less grade inflation.

Undergrad Institution: Top tier liberal arts
Major(s): Biology, Anthropology
GPA in Major: 3.50
Overall GPA: 3.49
Position in Class: Don't have ranking
Type of Student: White female

Q: 159 (93%)
V: 164 (74%)
W: 5.0 (93%) 
Biology Subject Test: 

Research Experience: 2 years in two different labs (microbiology, evolutionary biology).  Currently a research tech at a cancer research lab.  Experience with fieldwork in two different lab settings.  Honors thesis research.  Research in anthropology.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors thesis, Sigma Xi, Dean's list (3 semesters), various athletic academic awards.  Third author paper, two poster presentations (one at an international conference)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: As mentioned before, I'm performing research in a professional setting now in a multi-institutional lab.

Special Bonus Points: Three strong recommendations all from profs that I have done extensive independent research with. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  I have a fair bit of experience in anthropology research as well.

Applying to Where:

Applying both to umbrella and micro programs

Stanford

Berkeley

Boston

Rice

UCLA
UC Davis

Harvard

Dartmouth

UCSF

UC Irvine

UCSD

WashU

Princeton

Undergrad Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)
Major(s): Molecular Medicine
GPA (B.Sc.): 3.55

Had a broad curriculum, ranging from phyisical, organic and anorganic chemistry and basic biology over anatomy, biochemistry and physiology to neurology, virology, cancer biology and cardiology.

Currently doing my M.Sc., will be finished by May 2015.

Graduate Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)
Major(s): Molecular Medicine
GPA (M.Sc.): 3.45
Position in Class: Not sure exactly, our program itself is already highly competetive with only 20 students being admitted every year. So a rank is not really meaningful here and we do not really get those numbers in Germany anyway.
Type of Student: International

TOEFL: 115/120
Q: 163 (86%)
V: 159 (81%)

The scores are from different test dates, but some schools consider the best combination in case of multiple scores. If not applicable, my Verbal is 157 (74%) instead.
W: 4.0 (56%) 
Biochem: 670 (93%)

Research Experience:

- 1 Year in the lab where I've just started writing my master thesis, working with s. cerevisiae on targeting of peroxisomal proteins. Currently working on a publication, where I am going to be 2nd author. We are planning to send it in by the end of this year.

- About half a year in the lab where I wrote my bachelor thesis, working on a protein, which is mutated in rare forms of dementia.

Two summerprojects:
- 5 weeks at Manchester University during my undergrad (2012), heart failure research (histological examination of mouse heart tissue)

- 10 weeks at the Cancer Science Institue Singapore (Part of NUS) this year, working on deubiquitinating enzymes involved in cancer pathways

Then numerous other, short lab internships in my home institution in order to get familiar with a wide range of methods in biological and medical research. My study program had a strong focus on practical experience in general, so during my 4,5 years of studying I was in the lab about 2 years full-time.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Stipend of the German National Academic Foundation; Stipend of the Medical School of my home institution; Several small stipends for my summerprojects.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA in my current lab during this summer for a few months

Applying to Where:

My main focus / interest lies on organelles and intracellular targeting of proteins, as well as on organization / compartimentalization of cells. Also pretty interested in signaling and cellular communication. I would like to work in a multi-disciplinary group in order to learn more computation / modeling, which is very interesting for my research interests but has not been a major part of my curriculum so far.

NYU Sackler open program

Columbia U, Neurobiology an behavior; 2nd option: CMBS

Rockefeller U

Weill Cornell

Harvard MCO

MIT Biology

Boston U (?)

UCSD

UCSF

Stanford

Berkeley

Working out the details of the list at the moment, want to be finished by sunday.

For me as an international student it is really hard to figure out, if my stats are competetive for the schools I am applying to. My univerversity is one of the best in Germany in life science research, so I figured I only want to apply to really good universities in the USA, which would equal an improvement over what I could get in my home country.

Edited by Chrischigta

Q: 159 (93%)

V: 164 (74%)

W: 5.0 (93%) 

Biology Subject Test: 

You got your percentiles switched: a Q score of 159 is in the 74th percentile and a V score of 164 is in the 93rd percentile. Unless you also switched your scores (that is: Q is really 164), your quant score combined with your GPA is not that competitive for the schools you listed outside of maybe UC Riverside and UC Irvine. 

That does not mean you do not have a chance with at least one of the top programs, in particular if your SOP and LORs are strong, but I would suggest looking into some "lower ranked" programs.  

You got your percentiles switched: a Q score of 159 is in the 74th percentile and a V score of 164 is in the 93rd percentile. Unless you also switched your scores (that is: Q is really 164), your quant score combined with your GPA is not that competitive for the schools you listed outside of maybe UC Riverside and UC Irvine. 

That does not mean you do not have a chance with at least one of the top programs, in particular if your SOP and LORs are strong, but I would suggest looking into some "lower ranked" programs.  

I don't think that someone should necessarily look into some lower ranked programs simply because their quant GRE score isn't very high. It entirely depends on the program and the potential advisors. Also, the rest of her package seems competitive, and she could be a great interviewee.

Applications submitted! Now the waiting game begins...

Undergrad Institution: Top public institution
Major(s): Biochemistry

GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: DWM

GRE Scores:
Q: 167 (94%ile)

V: 156 (71%ile) :(
W: 4.5 (80%ile)

B: N/A

Research Experience: 3 years in a biochemistry/biophysics research lab by matriculation including two funded summers + 1 summer of pharmacology research at another top public institution. Experience consists of biochemistry (protein purification, kinetics, western blotting), considerable molecular cloning experience, and quantitative cell bio (microfluidics, live cell imaging)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Senior honors thesis in the works, hopefully a first author paper in prep, third author paper in review, 3 SURFs, 2 nat'l conferences

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Science writing as a hobby -- attended a nat'l conference on a science writing fellowship

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Letter writers are all prominent PIs/professors; I'm confident they'll be strong recommendations

Special Bonus Points: former president of a science club, EIC of science magazine, NSF GRFP application submitted

Applying to Where: I'm definitely aiming high here, but I won't be too disappointed if I don't get started straight out of undergrad. I'd love to be in the northeast, do I have a chance there?

Columbia Integrated CMBS

Rockefeller

NYU Sackler

Weill Cornell

UW-Madison CMB

Harvard BBS

Yale BBS

UCSD Biological Sciences

Vanderbilt IGP

UMichigan PIBS

UChicago DMS

MIT Biology

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 private research institution
Major(s): Evolutionary and Developmental Biology
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.5

Major: Comparative Embryogenesis

Master's GPA: 3.9
Type of Student: minority female student

Q: 158 / 71/%
V: 156 / 71%
W: 5 / 93%

Research Experience:

Undergrad: 4 years in one of the leading circadian labs. 1 co-author publishing in PLoS.

Summer research grant for Northwestern affiliated program studying embryology and algorithmic cell growth. 4-5 months. 1 presentation for summer research symposium.

Fellowship for a 2 year Joint master's degree overseas. Master's in imaging techniques and computational modeling of embryogenesis, looking at zebrafish development and teratogenicity. 1 publication in a low impact pharmacology/toxicology paper and master's thesis. 

i'm hoping that my research will boost my low GRE scores!!

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: student-athlete awards, a few scholarships 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA position for one year guiding students through RNAi in nematodes to look at plaque accumulation in alzheimer models.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: team captain of DIV1 team, all american and a top athlete who has competed internationally

Special Bonus Points: minority status, two of my recommenders are pretty well known in their fields. 

Applying to Where:
Janelia Farm Research Campus (UChicago, Johns Hopkins, Cambridge)

UW Madison

Columbia

Northwestern

Rockefeller

Mt. Sinai

Cornell Weill/Sloan Kettering

Princeton

Harvard 

Stanford

(Applied: 1/13): UChicago, Johns Hopkins, Cambridge, UW Madison, Columbia, Northwestern, Rockefeller, Mt. Sinai, Cornell Weill, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford

(Accepted: 0/13)

(Rejected: 0/13)

(Attending: 0/1)

Edited by expandyourmind

I don't think that someone should necessarily look into some lower ranked programs simply because their quant GRE score isn't very high. It entirely depends on the program and the potential advisors. Also, the rest of her package seems competitive, and she could be a great interviewee.

Of course it does, and sure.  I was merely suggesting that apple333 consider some other programs, not to eliminate her entire list.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Undergrad Institution: Unevaheardof University in developing country
Major(s): Biology
GPA: 8.4/10 which ranked me first in my small class
M.S. in small private University in America

Major(s): Biology

Master's GPA: 3.992
Type of Student: international male

V: 157
W: not available yet

Research Experience:

2 manuscripts in preparation for submission this winter. One talk given in prestigious international conference, two talks in small conferences, one poster in national conference, one poster in local conference.

One senior thesis, one Master's thesis and 3 smaller research projects (4-5 years total)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  
Scholarships in 3 of my four undergrad years, full M.S. scholarship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA in 3 labs in my undergrad institution, and in about 15 labs during my MS.

Lab assistant

Volunteer work in wild animal rehab.
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
Fluent in two languages, intermediate in one more.
Special Bonus Points:  
Encouraged to apply by faculty members in all programs I'm applying to, some of them seeming really positive about it.
Applying to Where:
Princeton Ecology and Evolutionary Biology,

Upenn Biology

Penn State Ecology

Stony Brook Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

What do you guys think?

I have a question with regard to the recommendation letters: Of how much importance is the reputation of the faculty writing the letter? I am pretty confident that all my three letters will be really positive, but they are all from relatively young group leaders, none of them a "well-known" professor with a lot of standing in their fields. I chose them, because I had the closest relationship to them and felt they would be able to write the most personal and positive letters (I was doing independent research projects with all of them, working on a publication with one of them atm), but I am afraid that it will be drawback that I have no letter from a more well known professor. As an international student it is pretty difficult to guess how this will influence my application, so some advice would be great (not that I would have the time to change anything now^^) !

Edited by Chrischigta

I have a question with regard to the recommendation letters: Of how much importance is the reputation of the faculty writing the letter? I am pretty confident that all my three letters will be really positive, but they are all from relatively young group leaders, none of them a "well-known" professor with a lot of standing in their fields. I chose them, because I had the closest relationship to them and felt they would be able to write the most personal and positive letters (I was doing independent research projects with all of them, working on a publication with one of them atm), but I am afraid that it will be drawback that I have no letter from a more well known professor. As an international student it is pretty difficult to guess how this will influence my application, so some advice would be great (not that I would have the time to change anything now^^) !

There are people who claim that grad programs want to see LORs from well-known researchers in the field, and others who claim that even if you got an LOR from a well-known researcher in the field it would not make a lick of difference.  Think about the words "well-known" for a minute, they do not necessarily mean "famous".  The chances of a well-known researcher having at least one colleague in the program you are applying to is greater than if they were not well-known:  that is the logic behind it.  The chances for an undergrad to work with someone famous is slim enough to begin with; it would not make logical sense for adcoms to expect that, in particular since most, if not all, are not famous themselves...but if one were so lucky I am certain it would look good for the applicant.  

There are also a good number of academics/researchers who do not teach undergrads.

It is generally understood that all Ph.D.s have jumped through the same hoops, more-or-less, and if one can vouch for your potential as a researcher, that is good enough.  Besides, just because someone is well-known does not necessarily mean they will write a stellar LOR on your behalf.  All that really matters is that you get great LORs from faculty who know you.

Hello everyone, I am just curious,an international student, as to which places I should apply for Mol, Cell and Dev Biology(keeping in mind my academic standing.) Suggestions are most welcome...

GPA: 3.50

SCGPA: 3.55

GRE: 168Q 150V 4W

TAships: Introduction to Biology, Introduction to Computing and Computational Biology

Research Experience:  worked for 2-3 months on each project: genetics (made transgenic flies), computational (simulation and structural analysis) and plants... have attended 3 conferences thus far and given oral and poster presentations

Ahh I remember refreshing the 2014 thread between experiments last year. Good times...

I'm a first year at Duke, pm me if you have any questions about Duke or Durham! Or other programs in my sig.

Edited by persimmony

Hello everyone, I am just curious,an international student, as to which places I should apply for Mol, Cell and Dev Biology(keeping in mind my academic standing.) Suggestions are most welcome...

GPA: 3.50

SCGPA: 3.55

GRE: 168Q 150V 4W

TAships: Introduction to Biology, Introduction to Computing and Computational Biology

Research Experience:  worked for 2-3 months on each project: genetics (made transgenic flies), computational (simulation and structural analysis) and plants... have attended 3 conferences thus far and given oral and poster presentations

You're GPA is pretty good, but your verbal is a little low. I think it's kind of silly but I know one person who didn't get into the program at my university because her verbal was a little too low (she was 1st on the waitlist, but didn't get in). Unfortunately when it's this competitive even one little thing can make the difference especially for internationals. On my calculation you have about a year of research experience? It's an okay amount especially if you can stress what you've learned in your SOP and have strong LORs. With your interest in CMB, I would really focus on umbrella programs where you can move around different tracks and there are usually no departmental blocks for labs. 

Undergrad Institution: Big public top 30 research school
Major(s): Cell Biology
Minor(s): Music
GPA in Major: 3.68
Overall GPA: 3.65
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: Domestic female

Q: 161 (80%)
V:  159 (81%)
W: 4.0 (56%)
B:

Research Experience: 1 year at a plant biology lab studying plant hormones, 6 month internship at an algae biofuels lab, 6 months in a developmental immunology lab in Japan, and 1 year at a biotech company working with HIV-1.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: provost honors, bunch of scholarships to study abroad in Japan.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA during undergrad, also created a summer internship program at my current job to mentor high school and college students interested in working in the biotech field.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I don't know if this helps- lots of financial hardships, had to couch surf for several months after graduating undergrad because I wanted to finish up my internship, worked my butt off to get full funding for my trip to work in a lab in Japan. I guess tons of other people probably experience these kind of situations but I guess it won't hurt to mention it (?)

Special Bonus Points: 2 of my LORs are from PIs that are well known in their field and also are directors of their departments. The last LOR is from my employer who has a lot of connections in the departments I am applying to at University of Washington. 

Applying to Where:

UCSF- BMS

University of Washington- MCB & Pathobiology

UCLA- Biosciences

UCSD- BMS

UCB- MCB

Scripps

Northwestern-DGP

University of Chicago- BMS

UNC Chapel Hill- BBSP

I'm pretty worried about my average GPA and GRE scores and I'm kind of regretting now not looking at more lower tier schools. Also, my research experience is kind of all over the place, jumping from plant to algae to autoimmune diseases and eventually HIV, and although I do have an explanation for why I still don't think it'll look as good as working at the same lab for multiple years. Although it's kind of last minute, does anyone have any advice for if I should drop some of these and try to apply to lower tier schools?

Edited by susieq7975

I'm pretty worried about my average GPA and GRE scores and I'm kind of regretting now not looking at more lower tier schools. Also, my research experience is kind of all over the place, jumping from plant to algae to autoimmune diseases and eventually HIV, and although I do have an explanation for why I still don't think it'll look as good as working at the same lab for multiple years. Although it's kind of last minute, does anyone have any advice for if I should drop some of these and try to apply to lower tier schools?

Research experience can be varied as long as you can explain it all well (i.e. you weren't just a hired hand and contributed intellectually). Wouldn't hurt to apply to a couple lower ranked schools if you can afford it! Would recommend Baylor and MD Anderson in Houston (I go to one of these), and some public "Ivies" similar to UNC. Those west coast schools are outrageously competitive, so if you want the best shot, apply broadly. Good luck!

Research experience can be varied as long as you can explain it all well (i.e. you weren't just a hired hand and contributed intellectually). Wouldn't hurt to apply to a couple lower ranked schools if you can afford it! Would recommend Baylor and MD Anderson in Houston (I go to one of these), and some public "Ivies" similar to UNC. Those west coast schools are outrageously competitive, so if you want the best shot, apply broadly. Good luck!

Public ivies are a good idea, I'd even say look a bit more at the midwestern ones. You clearly have an interest in the area as I see two universities in Chicago on the list. There are a lot of great public universities in the area, and based on what I saw during interviewing the vast majority of people who apply are from the midwest. Coming from a coast may make you look a little more interesting to them.

I don't know your exact interests, but in general Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Purdue are all great universities with varied research.

Edited by Vene

On 11/11/2014 at 8:31 AM, Vene said:

Public ivies are a good idea, I'd even say look a bit more at the midwestern ones. You clearly have an interest in the area as I see two universities in Chicago on the list. There are a lot of great public universities in the area, and based on what I saw during interviewing the vast majority of people who apply are from the midwest. Coming from a coast may make you look a little more interesting to them.

I don't know your exact interests, but in general Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Purdue are all great universities with varied research.

Yes, midwest is great! I wish I applied to Michigan, Ann Arbor is a cool place. Would also put Iowa, Indiana-Bloomington, UIC/UIUC, WUSTL and Ohio State on that list.

On 11/11/2014 at 8:40 AM, ss2player said:

Yes, midwest is great! I wish I applied to Michigan, Ann Arbor is a cool place. Would also put Iowa, Indiana-Bloomington, UIC/UIUC, WUSTL and Ohio State on that list.

Any university associated with the Big 10 is probably pretty good. But, I don't want to include Ohio State because I'm from Michigan originally and we've got a petty rivalry to maintain.

Any university associated with the Big 10 is probably pretty good. But, I don't want to include Ohio State because I'm from Michigan originally and we've got a petty rivalry to maintain.

Fair enough. :) My undergrad just got added to the Big 10 this year, so we have no stake in this...for now!